Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help Needed with wireless connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Help Needed with wireless connection

Old 11-04-2008, 20:41   #1
giff1888
Inactive

giff1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Needed with wireless connection

Hi guys new to the board,

I am looking for some help here with a wireless connection. I have a sony vaio with built in wireless. I have a router set up at home with Telewest that I have been using without any hitches for about 1 year now. The problem started when I started a new job recently and installed BT internet software to use my offices wireless connection which is working fine. But now when I bring my laptop home at night I can't get an Internet connection and when I go to view my available wireless connections I get this message.

" Windows cannot configure this wireless connection.

If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software.

If you want windows to configure this wireless connection start the wireless zero configuration WZC service. For information about starting the WZC service. For information about starting the WZC service see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com website".

I have viewed the microsoft website and it asked me to go onto the wireless zero configuration and start service status. After doing the scan my old connection works for about 5 mins before gonig down. Anyone know where I can go from here?

Thanks In Advance
giff1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2008, 22:09   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: Help Needed with wireless connection

The BT internet software is trying to configure the Wireless connection.
Is there any reason why you needed the BT software on the laptop? The reason I ask, is that Windows will happily find the wireless connections for you to connect to.
If you don't need the software, then uninstall it. If you do, you should have some kind of icon in your system tray relating to the BT software (some kind of wireless configurator). Open up the utility, and have a look for something along the lines of 'use this utility to configure wireless' or 'let windows configure wireless'. Either untick or tick to let windows do the work for you

The other option is to open the utilty and search for wireless connections.
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:10   #3
nswatman
Inactive

nswatman is an unknown quantity at this point

The Windows Zero Configuration Service is the most reliable way of managing your wireless connections.
nswatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:09   #4
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

oh god, the BT wireless managing thing is so unreliable, it never connects the 1st time, just uninstall it and use the one windows provides
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote