Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

Old 10-04-2008, 22:11   #1
Andy298
Inactive

Andy298 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

Hi guys

I've got a friend who wants me to setup wireless broadband for his mother. Simple enough task, but I'm being told by various people at work that it isn't possible if the user is getting their BB through the set-top box. When I ask them why they say they're not sure? But apparently Virgin do something at their end to stop them using their own kit through a STB!? Not a good enough answer for me I'm affraid and TBH I think it's a load of rubbish (but I've now started to question myself!). Surely if I use router that is NAT capable it doesn't matter?
Andy298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 22:15   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

It is not that is not possible (my dad has a router on a Virgin STB broadband connection). The problem comes with the way the STB broadband works

As the STB broadband locks to the MAC address of the NIC in whatever is connected to it, everytime you change the equipment you have to re-register it to the STB with the PID number and password which gets a bit fiddly (unless you clone the MAC address of the PC)
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 22:39   #3
Andy298
Inactive

Andy298 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It is not that is not possible (my dad has a router on a Virgin STB broadband connection). The problem comes with the way the STB broadband works

As the STB broadband locks to the MAC address of the NIC in whatever is connected to it, everytime you change the equipment you have to re-register it to the STB with the PID number and password which gets a bit fiddly (unless you clone the MAC address of the PC)
Ah right ok I see. So how do I go about re-registering a new MAC address to the STB? Sorry for the dumb question, just never messed about with BB that is through a STB.

Suppose I could just clone it also like you say. But would be useful to know the other way too.
Andy298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 22:42   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What usually works is:
  • Turn everything off
  • Hook up Router to STB
  • Hook up PC to router using a wired connection
  • Turn STB on and wait for the online light
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on
  • In a web browser go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions, entering the 10 digit PID when requested and using 1234 as the password
  • Turn everything off AGAIN when it tells you to
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on

Once you can connect to the net, you should be able to set up the wireless connection as per the router instructions
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 18:25   #5
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What usually works is:
  • Turn everything off
  • Hook up Router to STB
  • Hook up PC to router using a wired connection
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on
  • In a web browser go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions, entering the 10 digit PID when requested and using 1234 as the password
  • Turn everything off AGAIN when it tells you to
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on

Once you can connect to the net, you should be able to set up the wireless connection as per the router instructions
Doing it this way he shouldn't have to use the pid number as i have never had to in the past when using, a stb or modem and i've done loads of router jobs for virgin customers.

Try it as above but don't go straight to the start.html page go to say google or something and see if it loads that.
Then if it does just log in to the router via firefox or IE dependent on which you use, then just config the wireless settings.
If i remember right for belkin and most routers the ip to get access to the router, in that manner is 192.168.0.1 then if it asks for a username and password they are usually root and root or something along those lines.
But you can use a router with a stb the, only time i know off people struggling is when they had a pace box, and on the back above the ethernet port it said
x-over, required so they just needed a crossover adapter or cable and it then worked fine.
Old 13-04-2008, 05:49   #6
poddy
Inactive

poddy is on a distinguished roadpoddy is on a distinguished road

Don't do it ...!!

Thats what i'd suggest ! I had a dynomode router set up via a STB and had nothing but trouble with it.

In the end they had to send me a seperate modem (the quality it 5X better now too)

Every time I opened IE I had to register with my PID etc. Apparantly the STB kept reverting my IP to the 192. set.
poddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:45   #7
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

I'd advocate cloning the PC's MAC address for the router - it's what I do.
That way there's no registering required, and you can switch between the router and a direct PC connection to the STB without having to reboot the STB (can be useful for diagnostics).
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote