Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Switching between using router and just modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Switching between using router and just modem

Old 19-03-2008, 20:29   #1
Nathanmini
Inactive

Nathanmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Switching between using router and just modem

Hey

well heres what i wanna do, basically because i've been trying to configure my router to work with age of empires 2 online and concluded the only way to get it working is to use my modem on it's own (aoe seems to hate playing behind routers but this isn;t what i want help with)

so my problem is this i thought it wud be as simple as disconnecting my router and connecting my computer directly to the modem but no dice

it's been a while since i set up my internet so i'm sorry to say i've forgotten how to do it and lost the cd that comes with it (but thats just a driver anyways? isn't it?) any help i can get with this is much apreciated
Nathanmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2008, 20:37   #2
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: Switching between using router and just modem

It should be a simple case of turning the modem off, unplugging it from the router, plugging it into your computer and turning it back on.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 20:53   #3
Nathanmini
Inactive

ah thanks alot my problem was i wasn't switching it off b4 unplugging it

now back to whooping my friends online thanks a bunch
Old 19-03-2008, 21:21   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Bit odd why you wouldn't be able to play whilst connected via the router. Have a look at the firewall settings and make sure that ports required for the game are forwarded correctly.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29   #5
Nathanmini
Inactive

yeah all the ports are forwarded and i even set the dmz, aoe has had issues with aoe for quite some time it just dislikes them, many people have had the same issues except those not playing behind a router. Just one of those things i think