Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Laptop & Wireless on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Laptop & Wireless on Virgin Media

Old 09-04-2008, 12:08   #1
the icon
Inactive

Services: Virgin XXL BB XL TV M Phone
the icon is an unknown quantity at this point
Laptop & Wireless on Virgin Media

Hey,

umm, am normally good with IT things, but this is bugging the hell out of me.

I got this Router: Belkin Wireless G+ Router

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=184371

This Laptop

Compaq C500:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/hard...9275058,00.htm

now all is good, am with Virgin Media, got the old Grey?Black Box, setting it all up,

Wireless Works, but main line wont work, take it a part, main line works, wireless wont.

That doesn’t bother me too much expect, The laptop, will drop to “local” connection only after a hour or two on wireless, then the internet will not work, I have turn all the power off, on laptop, router and tv box, and re install the wireless…

yet my mate who has wireless, different laptop, different router, same ISP, has never had this problem?

Is it something is doing wrong or what? It’s doing my head in
the icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 13:34   #2
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Laptop & Wireless on Virgin Media

sounds like the router is crapping out at a certain point

im a bit confused by your post tho, main line wont? do you mean hard wired in?

are you using a set top box or cable modem with the router?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 14:51   #3
the icon
Inactive

as in ill wire it all up, so the "main" base PC runs off from the cable. so thats NOT wirelss, its hardwired.

the main Net line, runs into the router, with a blue line running into the modem. the laptop picks up a wireless connection for about a hour or 2 at most then drops it, then i have to turn it all off, and re insatll the lot.
Old 09-04-2008, 16:34   #4
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I once had a similar problem when I had not set the router to obtain an IP address by DHCP
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 18:34   #5
the icon
Inactive

so er how do i fix it then lol?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:41   #6
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

ok let me get this straight

blue ethernet cable from modem in to the internet port on the back of the router
then ethernet from the router to the main desktop pc
then wireless to the laptop

is that right?

if so does the main pc (wired) loose the internet aswell?

if so if you use ethernet from the modem to the main desktop pc does it still loose the connection?

if it does then there is a problem with the modem if it doesn't try the laptop wired directly to the modem if that doesn't loose, the connection then there is a problem with the router, it may be down to the settings or it could be a hardware fault on the router.
but your first port of call is to try the pc/laptop wired to the modem process of ellimination, as that will tell you what is causing the problem.

if it is the router take it back to where you bought it from and ask for a exchange or ask them to test, it question is where did you buy it from? and how old is it? as this will depend on what they will do with it.
I had a very similar problem when connecting a ps3/pc/360 to a belking 54mbps router and the router would die if i tried to use the, ps3 and pc on the internet at the same time, i had to go out and buy a netgear which solved the problem untill i got rid of me ps3/360 now just have me pc wired directly to me modem faster and allot safer hope this helps and hope it is not to confusing.

also there is sometimes a rest button on the back or bottom of the router have a look se if it has one and if so give it a try after reseting it.
Old 16-04-2008, 22:13   #7
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

When my PC drops its wireless connection its either cause the Windows firewall is on or IEEE authentication is on, make sure it isnt these
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote