Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A Few Questions About Powerline Adapters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A Few Questions About Powerline Adapters

Old 11-04-2008, 12:26   #1
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
Question A Few Questions About Powerline Adapters

I am planning on getting a set of Powerline adapters so i can get my PS2 online. I was wondering if i would have to pay for the connection running through my home electrics and also would it work on a Extension cable?
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2008, 15:53   #2
littlebert
cf.member

littlebert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A Few Questions About Powerline Adapters

Homeplugs do work on extension cables, but it's always better to plug them straight into the source.
In terms of paying... the plugs just send the broadband from your modem round your mains wiring, it costs no more than your standard broadband/dial up fee.
For more info try here:
http://www.in-home-network.co.uk/
They have a good FAQ section on the plugs.
littlebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 17:30   #3
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
I am planning on getting a set of Powerline adapters so i can get my PS2 online. I was wondering if i would have to pay for the connection running through my home electrics and also would it work on a Extension cable?
Not related to the thread but is that 'your' server linked in your sig. Is your Server software gen?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35   #4
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Not related to the thread but is that 'your' server linked in your sig. Is your Server software gen?
lol, yes its my server. It isnt gen, its Windows Server 2003

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebert View Post
Homeplugs do work on extension cables, but it's always better to plug them straight into the source.
In terms of paying... the plugs just send the broadband from your modem round your mains wiring, it costs no more than your standard broadband/dial up fee.
For more info try here:
http://www.in-home-network.co.uk/
They have a good FAQ section on the plugs.
Thanks for the reply, ill have a look at the site you posted

Its just, i saw a set on eBay and i was very tempted, think they have ended now
Old 14-04-2008, 22:21   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Technically yes it would cost you as the adaptors need power to operate :p But it's not much power (Probably less than most broadband routers.etc use and those get left on all the time) and if you were that worried about it you could turn them off when your not using them

They do work on the extension cables as until recently I used them that way (although not the surge suppressed ones at least not very well if at all..)

Biggest downside is they get slower the more you add (well the UPA ones do not sure about Homeplug but i would think its the same)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 10:46   #6
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
They do work on the extension cables as until recently I used them that way (although not the surge suppressed ones at least not very well if at all..)
Cool, thats was my main worry, i might get some
Old 15-04-2008, 11:46   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
lol, yes its my server. It isnt gen, its Windows Server 2003
I want to know how a 13 year old can afford a Windows Server 2003!
Old 15-04-2008, 11:50   #8
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I want to know how a 13 year old can afford a Windows Server 2003!
If i told you that, i would have to kill you

btw, its not a official HP one, its custom built