Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless PCI network card on Linux

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless PCI network card on Linux

Old 13-04-2008, 01:18   #1
zmc
Inactive

zmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless PCI network card on Linux

Hi All

Does anyone have recommendations for Wireless PCI cards that are supported, with reasonable ease, by Linux (Suse 10.3).

I'm currently contemplating the Linksys WMP54G

Or ... should I be looking at the USB options?

Thanks
zmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2008, 02:40   #2
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Wireless PCI network card on Linux

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
http://www.linux-wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/

Chipsets with Atheros and Atmel Drivers are your best bet really.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:19   #3
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

I bought an INEXQ USB wireless adapter and have been using LINUX for about a month now it work fine. LINUX seems to pick these things up no problem I'm using a Buffalo WHR G54S which I'm recommending to everyone not had a minutes problem with it speeds don't seem affected
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 09:35   #4
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 22:08   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

I think most RALINK based cards work as well, I had a rt2600 based card working at one point although I think I did have to play about with it a bit to get it working with WPA properly...
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 09:27   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Depends which version of the WMP54G - I have had lots of problems with a BCM4306 version of the WMP54G (v2 card, I think) under Fedora. The later WMP54G's should be Atheros chipsets, which seem to be a better bet.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote