Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM/VOIP problem - router issue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

VM/VOIP problem - router issue?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44   #1
labougie
Inactive

labougie is an unknown quantity at this point
VM/VOIP problem - router issue?

I’m having aggravation trying to set up a VOIP phone on VM and it seems the problem is with the router – can anyone please give me a steer? I have the Motorola cable modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 reset to the factory settings. No problems getting on to VM – I’ve got full internet and email access. When I plug the phone (Siemens C460IP) into the second of the Linksys’s four ports and configure it for Sipgate (which I’ve been using successfully before with a soft-phone) the registration fails. The router is assigning it an IP (196.168.1.101) and I get to the phone’s configuration screen OK but that’s all. Interestingly, when the router is wired in, the soft-phone can no longer log in to Sipgate – take the router out of the setup and it works again - so it seems as though something in the router is stopping the VOIP traffic getting through. Any thoughts on where I should be looking?
labougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 09:48   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: VM/VOIP problem - router issue?

You'll probably need to set up some port forwarding in the router for the phone. The phones manual should explain which ports need forwarding.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 17:52   #3
labougie
Inactive

labougie is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, forwarded 5060 and 5004 (the Sipgate ports) to 192.168.1.101 (the phone's IP as assigned by the router) and still can't establish a connection to Sipgate. As soon as the Linksys is part of the system, the soft phone falls over (that's without the Siemens being connected). Something the router's doing is not allowing either me to talk to Sipgate or them to come back to me. Hmm! Any thoughts, anyone? Cheers.
labougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 00:39   #4
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

You could try putting the phone in a DMZ - if your router supports it - it should then be effectivly connected straight to the internet bypassing the firewall.

Another thing that could be an issue is incoming ports, ssh for example uses port 22 outgoing but incoming connections can be on any port.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote