Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking a Lexmark X4550 Printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking a Lexmark X4550 Printer

Old 03-08-2007, 20:23   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Networking a Lexmark X4550 Printer

My dad just bought a new printer today, and i want to share it between my PC's wirelessly. Trouble is i get to the network screen on the wizard, input my key, click connect, and then it fails to connect to it. Ive input my code correctly (WPA) and input the printers MAC Address into my router, but its still a no go.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2007, 20:38   #2
Valerie
Inactive

Services: VM 10 (well >4!) Meg via modem, M tv pack, 1 phone line
Valerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Networking a Lexmark X4550 Printer

I had to give my lexmark C532 a fixed ip address to make the connection work
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 21:34   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try setting it up via a network cable first.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39   #4
gemman
Inactive

gemman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
I had to give my lexmark C532 a fixed ip address to make the connection work
Exactly how is an IP address set up for a printer??? I have looked everywhere & can't seem to find anything explaining how to do it!
I have the same problem my X4550 won't connect wirelessly (it prints through USB) & I think it will work if I could set up the IP.
gemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 16:30   #5
Valerie
Inactive

Valerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of light

My printer is connected to my router - hence the ip address. I set up a fixed ip address in the router software. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2008, 22:42   #6
wilcoxm
Inactive

wilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nice

I have a similar issue, I can print wireless with NO wep key, but as soon as i encrypt the network, i cannot connect to the printer. I have uninstalled, reinstalled the printer software, reset the router to factory settings, reset printer to factory settings, changed the firewall program, changed the anti - virus software, but still no joy.

As soon as the wizard on the printer asks for the WEP key, it cannot connect. Both wep keys are correct on laptop and printer.

Any advice would be appriciated.
wilcoxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41   #7
Valerie
Inactive

What printer do you have and how is it connected? - wired or wireless?
I'm not a techie (hope someone else will look at this) but from what I remember when I set mine up:

I needed a fixed IP for the printer (set up in router) - note my printer is wired to router.
I remember some probs setting up the printer port but can't remember which option I went for - trial & error here!

Sorry - not much use really
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46   #8
zing_deleted

May I be the first to say if you share a lexmark printer you will sonner run out of ink and that means you will have to buy either new ink (which is incredibly expensive for lexmark) or a new printer (which would be my choice and it would not be lexmark)

I hope your Dad realises what he has done and gives you a swift kick for not learning anything while you have been here and allowed him to make the stupid mistake which is buying lexmark

Its only 2 days old you still have time to say it doesnt work and take it back
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26   #9
GeoffB
Inactive

Services: TV, phone and 50Mb broadband with Superhub
GeoffB is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my Lexmark to work wirelessly, but quite frankly the results were so disappointing that I've gone back to USB. It speaks to me with an American accent when it's about to print, by the way. The first time my wife used it she thought we had a burglar!!
GeoffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

another for lexmark

If it can't be set up to do the job it is designed to do, then apart from anything else, you've got a cas under the sales of goods act which says that the product must be "fit for purpose" and "as described". Two phrases that IMHO Lexmark printers are quite incompatible with.

My choice would be a non-lexmark, I would lean towards HP, but many people will say Epson(doesn't really matter, they each have their good and bad points).

I'd also look at if it makes any sense to buy a non-networkable printer and get a standalone print server. That way you've got a cheaper replacement path in the future.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:33   #11
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

I have just binned a Lexmark all in one, sadly out of warranty, for a Brother, which appears to do all I want and was a very easy setup which worked first time and has a really easy operation.
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote