Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NETGEAR DG834G - Connected, But Not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NETGEAR DG834G - Connected, But Not?

Old 06-12-2007, 20:00   #1
Keyz333
cf.addict

Services: Cuckoo (BT) Broadband
Keyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via AIM to Keyz333 Send a message via MSN to Keyz333
Angry NETGEAR DG834G - Connected, But Not?

I have a NETGEAR DG834G Wireless Router, It has been working fine for a while, but recently There has been problems.. It now says it is connected with Excellent Signal, but when I start up a webpage, goes to the 'Error not connected' webpage, I have looked at the IP/DNS but not sure what i am looking for, Please Help ! Thanks !
Keyz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2007, 20:09   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NETGEAR DG834G - Connected, But Not?

I wonder if a neighbour has recently installed wireless which is now causing interference. You could try changing the wireless channel being used by your router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 20:12   #3
Keyz333
cf.addict

Keyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about themKeyz333 has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks, Ill have a try and get back with you !

EDIT: No it hasn't worked

What I forgot to mention was that The power light, lights up and the wireless type light does aswell,
but the internet light does not light up, Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 20:27   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Can you post the output of ipconfig /all in a DOS session?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 21:10   #5
Keyz333
cf.addict

Do you want me to post everything that comes up? In the DOS box?
Old 06-12-2007, 21:24   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Yes, that would be good. It'll tell us if you're getting an IP from the router amongst other things...
Old 14-12-2007, 10:26   #7
Hazah
Inactive

Hazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Can you post the output of ipconfig /all in a DOS session?
Hi Cobbydaler, Keyz333,

I am acually having the same problem with my modem WPN824 when I try to set it up. It is all fine when I connect all the necessary wires from modem --> Router --> laptop, the internet and port light are solid green on the router, and I could ping both the router and an external site (bbc.co.uk). But once I try to use the setup wizard to set it up (I have no choice but to set it up as the router doesn't allow me to access any other site except the Netgear settings site), the internet and port lights from the router disappears, but the wireless light flashes!
I then lose all connection to the internet and LAN and can no longer ping the router and bbc.co.uk.

I can't offer any assistance though as I am still trying to find some help in my posting here "Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!", but it seems like our problems are similar.

I'll try the ipconfig all and will be watching this thread closely....

Hazah
Hazah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 11:06   #8
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazah View Post
Hi Cobbydaler, Keyz333,

I am acually having the same problem with my modem WPN824 when I try to set it up. It is all fine when I connect all the necessary wires from modem --> Router --> laptop, the internet and port light are solid green on the router, and I could ping both the router and an external site (bbc.co.uk). But once I try to use the setup wizard to set it up (I have no choice but to set it up as the router doesn't allow me to access any other site except the Netgear settings site), the internet and port lights from the router disappears, but the wireless light flashes!
I then lose all connection to the internet and LAN and can no longer ping the router and bbc.co.uk.

I can't offer any assistance though as I am still trying to find some help in my posting here "Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!", but it seems like our problems are similar.

I'll try the ipconfig all and will be watching this thread closely....

Hazah
Don't use the setup wizard then? Just go in, set the wireless security etc and leave it.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz333 View Post
I have a NETGEAR DG834G Wireless Router, It has been working fine for a while, but recently There has been problems.. It now says it is connected with Excellent Signal, but when I start up a webpage, goes to the 'Error not connected' webpage, I have looked at the IP/DNS but not sure what i am looking for, Please Help ! Thanks !
Ah, but thats the connection to the router, not the internet. Is it giving out a i.p address? Is the data? light flashing on the modem. Will it work if you connect your pc directly to the modem?
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 11:24   #9
Hazah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Don't use the setup wizard then? Just go in, set the wireless security etc and leave it.
You are right, I don't really need the wizard to configure the wireless.

Unfortunately, my internet explorer site doesn't allow me to access any site other than the Netgear settings page. When I type in any other address, it keeps reverting back to that page.

Any idea how I can get around this?

Thanks!!!!

Hazah
Old 14-12-2007, 11:52   #10
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazah View Post
You are right, I don't really need the wizard to configure the wireless.

Unfortunately, my internet explorer site doesn't allow me to access any site other than the Netgear settings page. When I type in any other address, it keeps reverting back to that page.

Any idea how I can get around this?

Thanks!!!!

Hazah
Isn't there a skip setup page? Then it should take you into the core of the router so you can manually setup the security?
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 12:14   #11
Hazah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Isn't there a skip setup page? Then it should take you into the core of the router so you can manually setup the security?
There is a page where I can manually set-up the security, but it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet (at least I think it doesn't - as I can't type any other web address) without setting the items in the 'basic settings page' (I picked Dynamic IP Address, and Automatic DNS). This is when the problem comes in, as when I click apply or test for this basic settings page, my LAN connection gets disconnected ane the internet light disappears.

Is there any way I can connect to the internet without going through this basic settings page?

Hazah
Old 14-12-2007, 14:20   #12
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Keyz333's problem actually appeared to be the ADSL connection, they tried another router with the same result & the diagnostics in the router showed no WAN connection.

When you're setting up the router are you connecting by cable or wirelessly?
Old 14-12-2007, 14:36   #13
Hazah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post

When you're setting up the router are you connecting by cable or wirelessly?
Hi Cobbydaler.

I have a Virgin Media cable connection, and I am connecting via ethernet cable.
Old 14-12-2007, 15:16   #14
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Isn't a DG834G an ADSL modem router ?????
Which will not work with a Virgin Cable connection
Old 14-12-2007, 15:33   #15
Hazah
Inactive

Sorry.. I am totally confusing everyone now.

I am using the WPN824 with an NTL250 modem. my original thread is actually 'Can't set-up Router (WPN824 on NTL:250) HELP!!!' which I am still trying to get someone to help with

I just contributed to Keyz333 here as I thought our problems are similar.

Still, I would really appreciate some help either here or in my thread.

Thanks all.