Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Costs of the first minute billing change

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Costs of the first minute billing change

Old 10-01-2010, 08:53   #1
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough
Angry Costs of the first minute billing change

Last Oct Virgin changed their billing for the first minute. (I think this was discussed here.) Basically any call, however short, is rounded up to one whole minute during the first minute. Outside of inclusive minutes this means a 1 sec call costs 35p!

On analysing a bill (which is a big task with VM as an easily processed version is not available for download) I found these points which others might like to know:
  1. the whole minute billing policy applies to inclusive minutes too, i.e. a 1 sec call takes 1 min off your inclusive minutes (this is in the small print I know)
  2. the total call minutes on the bill only shows the total length of the time you were actually on the phone, not the total number of minutes charged for - this makes the bills very hard to work out. They should really add an extra line to the bill showing the total minutes charged for - might show how bad this is though so I can see why it is not there.
An example of the consequence of this is for one of our bills the total actual time was 309 minutes (just over the 300 min inclusive) but the actual number of minutes they tallied up due to rounding up the first minute, was 516, with a calls charge of £68! Quite an earner.

I know 3 changed to this first minute policy too not so long ago. Do all mobile phone companies charge like this now?

APS
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Costs of the first minute billing change

I too think this is crazy.
For example sometimes I will call someone and it will go straight to answer phone so I put the phone down, yet I will have been billed for a whole minute of call.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote