Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 03-04-2009, 18:20   #2371
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
re: Rate the last movie you saw

Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

It starts out promising enough. The premise is that a little girl in the 1950s wrote out a string of apparently random numbers for a school art project, then in the present day the paper comes into the possession of an MIT professor (Nicholas Cage) who deduces that the numbers were actually a prediction of 'every major disaster' from then until now. But there's a twist - the last three predictions in the string are in the immediate future. So Cage sets out to see if he can affect their outcomes.

Up to that point, it's really good. The tension builds nicely and there's a plane crash that deserves an award for use of CGI. Mind you that's balanced out by a pretty ropey train wreck about 20 minutes later.

Unfortunately the plot really goes off the rails, as a gang of mysterious blokes who look like they styled themselves after an albino Danish boy band start showing up and hassling Cage's young son. Then shiny black stones start appearing all over the place. Then, half an hour from the end, the screenwriter completely throws the towel in as the story turns into a bizarre homage to Close Encounters of the Third Kind (except not nearly so well done).

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2009, 02:05   #2372
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Stepbrothers: Love watching a mindless type of comedy film now and then and this is def one of those.

7/10
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:51   #2373
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quantum of Solace - 7/10
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:51   #2374
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

No Country for Old Men -gold star

Very good movie it's kept simple through out with the story that gose a long at a nice pace with Out the need to go all silly in the last half hour. just to fit in a ending to the film that would have Ruined the whole thing
The end to my mind is one of the best i've seen in a long time.
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 17:45   #2375
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 23:07   #2376
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.
Why? From what I have read he hasn't made a good film yet.. I will state that I have never seen one, so can't comment on whether I would have liked them.

Anyhow: Watched Knowing with Nicholas Cage tonight. The good points are that it has a good (if predictable) storyline, is fairly well written, has good special effects, and Rose Byrne (as ever) looks pretty and acts well.

For most of it, the film is a fairly good combination of a thriller, disaster movie and horror. It does get a little schmaltzy toward the end though.

One thing that surprised me: Nicholas Cage is normally a good actor, but although he plays this part well, his character is a little to close to being the cliched hollywood single father who is still dealing with the grief caused by the death of his wife. In other word, he played the part well, but the part is a carbon copy of any one of a number of hollywood characters, including some played by Cage himself.

6/10. It would probably be an 8 if Cage's character hadn't reminded me of several characters from other films.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07   #2377
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Monsters Vs Aliens 3D - Its not the best dreamworks animated movie I have seen by a long way in terms of humour, shrek, over the hedge etc are a lot funnier but it was still very funny and the 3D was amazing, would have to give it about 8/10 for the 3D version though I think in 2D it would be a little less special so would only get about 6/10.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:10   #2378
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

National Treasure - 9/10, really liked this film, its kind of like an adult Jumanji - can't believe it was released in 2004 and I've only just seen it

Quantum of Solace - 6/10, hmm this was ok but not enough gadgets for me. Also, i was quite suprised to see Bond only bed one girl in the whole film
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:19   #2379
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01   #2380
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Wanted - 7/10

Alot of over the top bits but a great action film.
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57   #2381
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's

Would a 4 and a half year old girl appreciate monsters versus aliens? Thinking of taking the little one to see this over the weekend in 3d.

Finally saw REC yesterday (spanish subtitled film) - Not seen Quarantine so can't compare the 2, but I did think REC was a very good film until the very end. Although not really sure how they could have ended it.

I'll give it 8 out of 10
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 13:37   #2382
zing_deleted

I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?
Old 09-04-2009, 13:43   #2383
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?

The glasses are my main concern, but we have been to the British Science museum and seen some of their 3d offerings in their cinema, in glasses which she's been ok with.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 16:49   #2384
xocemp

X-Men Origins Wolverine. 10/10 action packed and had a nice twist or two in the story.

Errm I managed to get a free copy with a linux ISO I downloaded
Don't know how that happend but *shrugs*
Old 10-04-2009, 21:45   #2385
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

(snip)

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.

That was pretty much my view too...

Also seen:

Get Smart - Not overly funny, but still enjoyable nonsense.

Eagle Eye - Ridiculous, but good fun if you just sit back & enjoy the ride.

Burn After Reading - Very good, & nice to see the Coen Brothers do black comedy again after the rather more serious No Country For Old Men.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote