Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

Old 22-09-2010, 15:01   #16
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Apple Airport Extreme & Virgin wireless router compatibility

Incorrect, It's a 4 port router if you turn off the radio (which has nothing to do with it's NAT capability.. you do get wired routers as well as wireless )
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2010, 15:16   #17
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Incorrect, It's a 4 port router if you turn off the radio (which has nothing to do with it's NAT capability.. you do get wired routers as well as wireless )
It is a combined modem/router so if you switch off the router side it becomes a modem not a router as it has coaxial connection from the wall providing internet and you can log into the modem side as per every other modem we supply.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 15:16   #18
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I have no idea of the NAT settings on this hub but I know how to turn off its in built radio and once that is swiched off it will be a 4 port modem.
masque, will it be a 4 port modem or a 4 port router with no wireless capability?

The reason im asking as some customers wish to use there own router and if you connect a router to a router it doesnt always work well
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 15:20   #19
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
masque, will it be a 4 port modem or a 4 port router with no wireless capability?

The reason im asking as some customers wish to use there own router and if you connect a router to a router it doesnt always work well
It is a modem and a router as per the website description HERE

You just login and switch off the radio which stops it being a router.

Quote:
Virgin Media Hub modem router

The Virgin Media Hub is a superfast broadband modem and 'N' router rolled into one.
Old 22-09-2010, 15:26   #20
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Masque are you just regurgitating information from the website or do you actually know?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 15:48   #21
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Masque, the radio has no bearing on it being a router or not.. I can go into any of my routers and turn off the radio, that though doesn't turn of it's NAT capability and it's that capability that determines if it's a router or not.. On any wifi router you turn off the radio and you end up with a wired router

Just for clarification the VM hub will have 4 components

1# A cable modem
2# A NAT section to it's firmware
3# an internal hub that feeds 4 port and the radio
4# The radio that broadcasts local LAN traffic

By turning off 4# you still end up with a router, what needs to happen is for 2# to be turned off which will then turn the unit into just a moden and hub (with radio)

It's roughly the same as what they do to the business modems when you want fixed IP's, they turn off the NAT side of it..
Old 22-09-2010, 15:49   #22
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Masque are you just regurgitating information from the website or do you actually know?
The are actually 2 ways to switch off the wireless, logging in and going to advanced wireless settings and unticking wireless radio or you can just use the wifi switch on the front 2nd from the top you just press it until the light goes off but some people prefer to log in to ensure its actually unticked.
Old 22-09-2010, 15:51   #23
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

By turning off 4# you still end up with a router, what needs to happen is for 2# to be turned off which will then turn the unit into just a moden and hub (with radio)
Indeed, at work, we have some very expensive Cisco (actual Cisco, not Linksys or "Linksys by Cisco") routers. They have no wireless capability. For that matter, a lot of them don't even have a hub, having just a couple of ports for linking to switches.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 15:52   #24
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Masque, the radio has no bearing on it being a router or not.. I can go into any of my routers and turn off the radio, that though doesn't turn of it's NAT capability and it's that capability that determines if it's a router or not.. On any wifi router you turn off the radio and you end up with a wired router

Just for clarification the VM hub will have 4 components

1# A cable modem
2# A NAT firmware
3# an internal hub that feeds 4 port and the radio

It's roughly the same as what they do to the business modems when you want fixed IP's, they turn off the NAT side of it..
I did say earlier in the thread that I had no idea of the NAT settings and I was just advising how to switch off the radio.

We would not support NAT as it falls outside of the support scope.
Old 22-09-2010, 15:55   #25
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Indeed, at work, we have some very expensive Cisco (actual Cisco, not Linksys or "Linksys by Cisco") routers. They have no wireless capability. For that matter, a lot of them don't even have a hub, having just a couple of ports for linking to switches.
Yep, my business modem is the same, The NAT's turned off so I use it to feed a 4 port switch and it's that switch that feeds the server, internal router and anythng else I want on an external address

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I did say earlier in the thread that I had no idea of the NAT settings and I was just advising how to switch off the radio.

We would not support NAT as it falls outside of the support scope.

but then you suggested that they use the Airport as a router after turning off the radio on the VM hub

Old 23-09-2010, 14:10   #26
Peter_
Permanently Banned

I have looked at the configuration pages of this device and the no NAT settings within these pages at all just the wireless radio.
Old 23-09-2010, 14:19   #27
Kymmy
Inactive

Then the only way you can do it is to turn off the nat n the airport and use it as a WAP..

Still though the airport just duplicates the router/wifi function of the hub so in the end it's not essential to use it
Old 23-09-2010, 18:10   #28
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Then the only way you can do it is to turn off the nat n the airport and use it as a WAP..

Still though the airport just duplicates the router/wifi function of the hub so in the end it's not essential to use it
And this is how I have my Time Capsule set up. I've turned NAT off, so am using it as a combo switch/N wireless access point and NAS.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 17:42   #29
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

At present there is no way to disable the router in the Hub.

I think the best thing to do would be to go into the Hub settings and limit the number of permitted clients to one.
Turn off the WIFI on the Hub
Connect the AEBS to the hub and put its IP into the DMZ of the hub.

I think that would work just fine.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 14:56   #30
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SE11 View Post
OK thanks.

I'm technically inept...maybe a bit hard but...

1. Mac - running a mac not a PC

2. Convert the coax cable into an ethernet cable...that's technical!!!

I've seen an amazing deal on a cashback site. £165 cash back if you take a Virgin Media package before this Friday 24th Sep. That's why I need to know asap.

I work from home so am totally dependent on broadband. I can't afford any downtime.

Will probably go for it & run dual.

Thanks.
So, what happened Chris?

BTW, here's my thread on the subject: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...t-extreme.html

A slightly different applciation (XXL Modem --> AE --> PC) but it's compatible.

The turning wireless off and go through the hub's DMZ is the right advice. If that's what you did, I'd beinterested to know if you put the AE into Bridge mode.

If you're not technical, you might need an expert to assist you.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote