Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Laptop keeps disconnecting from internet HELP!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Laptop keeps disconnecting from internet HELP!

Old 07-01-2007, 18:51   #1
ammar786
Inactive

ammar786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Laptop keeps disconnecting from internet HELP!

Hi,

My laptop keeps disconnecting from the wireless network every 2mins. Most of the time it tries reconnecting and fails saying 'unable to connect to preferred wireless network'. The only time when i do manage to connect is when i restart my router and try reconnecting 4 or 5 times, and still after a couple of minutes it disconnects! i've spent countless hours on the phone to belkin's technical support but i still can't figure out the problem. My ISP is Ntl.

The router I am using is a Belkin wireless 54g router, all the lights that should be shown are showing up correctly. Is it my laptop? Please could some one help me! This has only recently started to happen.
ammar786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2007, 19:25   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Laptop keeps disconnecting from internet HELP!

Which modem have you got? Do you get disconnections constantly when you are plugged in via ethernet?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 19:30   #3
ammar786
Inactive

Thanks for the reply, I am currently using the internet through the ethernet wire and so far have not disconnected. I am using the ntl set top box
Old 07-01-2007, 19:37   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

What wireless card/chipset have you got in the laptop?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 20:01   #5
ammar786
Inactive

It says 'Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection'
Old 07-01-2007, 20:15   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Are you using the Intel software to manage the card or Windows?

What model is the router?
Old 07-01-2007, 20:24   #7
ammar786
Inactive

The wireless hardware is built-in. The model number is F5D7230-4.
Old 07-01-2007, 20:31   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

But you will have a monitor in the notification area (system tray) for the wireless connection. If you double click on it does an Intel program appear or does the windows wireless configuration interface?
Old 07-01-2007, 20:55   #9
ammar786
Inactive

There is an Intel related icon but it says 'Intel(R) Extreme graphics 2 for mobile' and it shows the wireless configuration
Old 07-01-2007, 21:25   #10
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Changing tack slightly, you said it never used to do this? Have you got a new cordless house phone or other wireless related stuff recently? If so, try going into the router & changing the wireless channel. It could be interference causing the connection to drop...
Old 07-01-2007, 21:50   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Have you moved the router at all?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 23:34   #12
ammar786
Inactive

Thanks for the help guys. I did a factory reset and changed the channel to 6, I then wired my laptop up to the ethernet, making me go onto the NTL Provisioning page, where i removed my laptop from it and re-added it again. I noticed that my desktop pc was'nt on it which was odd, even though I can still get internet access through it. So far i haven't had any disconnections, so all is well. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar786 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I did a factory reset and changed the channel to 6, I then wired my laptop up to the ethernet, making me go onto the NTL Provisioning page, where i removed my laptop from it and re-added it again. I noticed that my desktop pc was'nt on it which was odd, even though I can still get internet access through it. So far i haven't had any disconnections, so all is well. Thanks again.
If you are using a router, the only thing that needs to be provisioned is that.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 18:03   #14
ammar786
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar786 View Post
The problem has come back, please can someone help me
Old 12-01-2007, 20:08   #15
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Are the disconnections only when using wireless?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote