Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 19-09-2010, 17:37   #736
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: What are you reading?

Just starting The Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton.

This is the long awaited Book 3 of the Void Trilogy.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2010, 17:39   #737
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Yup - I had my copy delivered last week, but reading "The Mechanic" by Neil Asher first (it was a difficult choice).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 18:40   #738
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Soon to be reading The Fry Chronicles, just waiting for Moab to arrive so I can get through that one first.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 21:44   #739
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds.

It's SciFi but it's also the most unusual who dunnit I've ever read.
is that the 'alternate' earth one - I thought it was ok, but nothing great

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Just starting The Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton.

This is the long awaited Book 3 of the Void Trilogy.
I'm still holding off buying it. I think I'll read it when I go on holiday in October, but will wait to see if the price comes down before then

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

I'm reading 'The girl with the dragon tatoo' at the moment.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 21:49   #740
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

[/COLOR]I'm reading 'The girl with the dragon tatoo' at the moment.[/QUOTE]

what is that like?..i am getting kindle..was thinking of getting that one
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 22:11   #741
gazfan

Services: Virgin XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
I'm reading 'The girl with the dragon tatoo' at the moment.
Me too - no doubt influenced by it becoming available relatively cheaply for my Kindle.

Very different genre to the sci-fi / tech adventure type stuff I usually read , but I'm enjoying it
Old 20-09-2010, 12:13   #742
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Currently about a third of the way through 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin, and then have 'The Technician' by Neal Asher lined up
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 13:49   #743
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

So, now that I have my Kindle how about some suggestions for something different to read?

I'm into Stephen King - Heinlein and old SF.

Mind, I'll try anything once and all that.

I like a good 'end of the world' type book.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 14:05   #744
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
So, now that I have my Kindle how about some suggestions for something different to read?

I'm back into an oldie of Daphne du Maurier 'House On the Strand' which is fairly escapist but there is never a certain ending to her work and... I don't think you'd like it - girlie stuff

I'm no use am I
Old 27-09-2010, 14:10   #745
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I am listening to william gibson "neuromancer" I think there is a set of three in the series.
but iain m banks is a good old fashioned type of author
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:07   #746
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

How about Mars series by edgar rice borroughs...just got it myself..going nostalgic in my sci-fi..heinlein maybe later
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:20   #747
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Thank you for some good suggestions - I shall look them up

In the mean time I am off to read 'After worlds collide'.

Now there's some retro SF for you
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:21   #748
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Larry Niven (The Mote in God's Eye, Ringworld Series, Lucifer's Hammer (end of the world type story)).

John Varley

S.M. Stirling, especially the Emberverse series starting with "Dies The Fire"

Neil Asher Polity Series

Richard Morgan, especially the Takeshi Kovacs series starting with "Altered Carbon"

John Scalzi "Old Man's War" series, very reminiscent of Heinlein.
Old 27-09-2010, 20:00   #749
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Under the Dome, and I think it's giving me RSI.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 20:17   #750
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Just finished All You Need Is Kill - Hiroshi Sakurazaka (Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day), and Roads Not Taken (Alternate History Anthology).

Still reading The Reapers Are The Angels by Alden Bell, and The Technician by Neil Asher