Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

Old 18-10-2018, 12:15   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

Apologies in advance for a bit of a novice question. I am currently on a sim only contract with Virgin Media. This deal is adequate for my needs. However, my mobile - a Samsung Galaxy Ace - is getting past its usefulness. I have seen a good deal on an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 that I am thinking of buying to replace the Ace.

My question is, will moving over to the S8 be simply a matter of removing my sim from my old phone and putting it into the new one? Will this mean that the new phone will then have my existing mobile number? Will the sim from my aging Ace even fit into the S8 or will I need a new one?

Additionally, will all of my contact numbers and existing texts move over to the new phone along with the sim or will these need to be moved separately?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Any advice gratefully received.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2018, 12:33   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving to a new phone - advice needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
My question is, will moving over to the S8 be simply a matter of removing my sim from my old phone and putting it into the new one? Will this mean that the new phone will then have my existing mobile number? Will the sim from my aging Ace even fit into the S8 or will I need a new one?
Yes, it should immediately make the new phone the one that rings.

Quote:
Additionally, will all of my contact numbers and existing texts move over to the new phone along with the sim or will these need to be moved separately?
It depends on how your existing phone is set up. As long as your contacts as on your Google account then they will be available once you sign on your new account.

But I'd suggest looking at this for Samsung to Samsung updates:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/getting-s.../smart-switch/
Old 18-10-2018, 14:59   #3
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply, Ben. And thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it when I have a bit more time.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

I've just discovered a complication. It seems the size of sim used by the Galaxy S8 is only half the size of that used by my existing Galaxy Ace. Will Virgin Media supply me with a new, smaller sim to fit the S8 so that I can continue with my current sim only plan? Will any new sim have my existing mobile number or is there an additional process needed to transfer it?

Last edited by heavyside; 18-10-2018 at 15:03.
Old 18-10-2018, 15:03   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If you only have a micro SIM, then yes. Call VM who will issue a new multi SIM that can be used. It has bits that break off to make the SIM the correct size. Nano SIM is the current size used by most newer phones.
Old 18-10-2018, 15:05   #5
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If you only have a micro SIM, then yes. Call VM who will issue a new multi SIM that can be used. It has bits that break off to make the SIM the correct size. Nano SIM is the current size used by most newer phones.
Thanks, Stephen. And what about retaining my existing mobile number with the new nano sim?
Old 18-10-2018, 15:20   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin always ensure the correct number is associated with any new SIM they send out.

But I'd also just double check you don't already have a multi-SIM. They've been issued for a few years now.
Old 18-10-2018, 15:27   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The new SIM would be activated with your existing number.

Usually when sending out a replacement SIM, it comes blank or unregistered. Yuo then follow the instructions sent with the new SIM to activate it and activate it with the number. There for removing the number off the old SIM.

As Ben states it may have been a multi SIM already. If so the micro SIM will have a smaller bit in the middle with the chip that would just push out revealing it as a nano SIM.
Old 18-10-2018, 15:45   #8
heavyside
cf.geek

Thanks Ben. Thanks Stephen. It all seems much more straightforward than I anticipated. Hands up for overthinking this.

The larger sim I have looks to be in one piece. It's probably six or seven years old now. When I get the new phone I'll get in touch with Virgin and take it from there.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 18-10-2018, 17:25   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Final thing to point out.

The Galaxy Ace is a 3G phone, the S8 is 4G.

So if you're phoning up for a new SIM, you might want to consider whether a new 4G plan would be better for you. They're all 12 month deals rather than 30 day contracts, so that would have to be part of your consideration.

But I'd expect you may get more for the same money these days than the 3G plan you're on.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:38   #10
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Final thing to point out.

The Galaxy Ace is a 3G phone, the S8 is 4G.

So if you're phoning up for a new SIM, you might want to consider whether a new 4G plan would be better for you. They're all 12 month deals rather than 30 day contracts, so that would have to be part of your consideration.

But I'd expect you may get more for the same money these days than the 3G plan you're on.
Thanks, Ben, I'll bear that in mind and see what kind of deal I'm offered.
Old 20-10-2018, 21:27   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have all my contacts saved to my google account, so that when I get a new phone it downloads the details automatically to my new phone.

It was a pain re typing some contacts but woth it in the end.
Old 05-11-2018, 17:07   #12
heavyside
cf.geek

Well... I got the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the nano SIM and it is now up and running. Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this.

The new phone is sleek and responsive with one exception that I have been struggling with all weekend. I copied my music files from my PC to a new micro SD card but no matter what I try I just cannot get them to show up in any music player. The card is properly seated and inserted and I have verified that the files are saved on the SD card both via the 'My Files' app on the phone and via the PC but, so far they cannot be seen by a music player - I've tried several. I have tried the same with a smaller micro SD card that was loaded with my music files which worked faultlessly in my old Galaxy Ace with the same result. The Android software is up to date for that model of phone. I'm beginning to fear that this is a bug.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Can anyone please offer any advice on this?
Old 05-11-2018, 21:51   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Well... I got the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the nano SIM and it is now up and running. Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this.

The new phone is sleek and responsive with one exception that I have been struggling with all weekend. I copied my music files from my PC to a new micro SD card but no matter what I try I just cannot get them to show up in any music player. The card is properly seated and inserted and I have verified that the files are saved on the SD card both via the 'My Files' app on the phone and via the PC but, so far they cannot be seen by a music player - I've tried several. I have tried the same with a smaller micro SD card that was loaded with my music files which worked faultlessly in my old Galaxy Ace with the same result. The Android software is up to date for that model of phone. I'm beginning to fear that this is a bug.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Can anyone please offer any advice on this?
A few thoughts.

Did you format/mount the sd card in the phone as i think you need to do that?

You also have to give permission for the player app to access the SD card like any other app, can't remember how you do that though.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:49   #14
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
A few thoughts.

Did you format/mount the sd card in the phone as i think you need to do that?

You also have to give permission for the player app to access the SD card like any other app, can't remember how you do that though.
Good suggestions, Snoop. Unfortunately, they don't work. To be doubly certain I reformatted the SD card, unmounted and mounted it again. The reformatting wiped the tracks that I had previously saved so I transferred some again from my PC. I then downloaded another music player, gave it permission to access the files but still nothing. The tracks are definitely there on the SD card but nothing I can do makes them visible to any music player. I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:55   #15
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

What format did you do the SD card to?

For most non-pc devices FAT32 is the requirement.