Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:53   #4246
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Some would contest that it’s the UK succumbing to the pressure it put itself under by having a referendum few wanted (at the time) under the belief the result was a foregone conclusion. (Note: I’m not using this to undermine the result- simply stating the Cameron position).

Cameron didn’t plan for Brexit, even those who campaigned for it abandoned their government posts when they saw how difficult it was.

To put the blame for any of this at the door of the EU is ignoring that it is us who are reliant on EU trade, migration, etc. yet made no contingencies for the alternative.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2018, 11:02   #4247
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Some would contest that it’s the UK succumbing to the pressure it put itself under by having a referendum few wanted (at the time) under the belief the result was a foregone conclusion. (Note: I’m not using this to undermine the result- simply stating the Cameron position).

Cameron didn’t plan for Brexit, even those who campaigned for it abandoned their government posts when they saw how difficult it was.

To put the blame for any of this at the door of the EU is ignoring that it is us who are reliant on EU trade, migration, etc. yet made no contingencies for the alternative.
No we are not reliant on EU Migration - we have citizens HERE in this country who can do the jobs - we cannot sustain 100,000's coming here every year - there is not enough housing for our citizens, so why should someone outside be able to come in - get a house and over step those already on the list and were actually born here?

We do not need massive migration like we have now - people forget we are a tiny Island with limited resources and housing and as it stands right now - we have massive influx of unskilled workers, just claiming off the State.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:05   #4248
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

If we end up remaining in the EU by whatever means, then stuff the EU, stuff the Government, stuff politicians, and stuff all those corrupt greedy members of officialdom that decide what they want and not what the country voted for.

Seems to me that a lot of people have no worries about being led by the nose like cattle

Old 04-12-2018, 11:10   #4249
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Seems to me some people have no worries about being derogatory to those who have different views to them.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
No we are not reliant on EU Migration - we have citizens HERE in this country who can do the jobs - we cannot sustain 100,000's coming here every year - there is not enough housing for our citizens, so why should someone outside be able to come in - get a house and over step those already on the list and were actually born here?

We do not need massive migration like we have now - people forget we are a tiny Island with limited resources and housing and as it stands right now - we have massive influx of unskilled workers, just claiming off the State.
Nothing to do with the EU - the number of non-EU migrants has been steadily rising for the last few years, so leaving the EU won’t change that.

10% of our NHS doctors and 7% of NHS nurses are from the EU, and as it takes 4 years to train a nurse and 10 years for a doctor, not sure where we are going to get 11,000 doctors and 20,000 nurses, fully trained, at short notice from our native population.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 04-12-2018 at 11:15.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11   #4250
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
If we end up remaining in the EU by whatever means, then stuff the EU, stuff the Government, stuff politicians, and stuff all those corrupt greedy members of officialdom that decide what they want and not what the country voted for.

Seems to me that a lot of people have no worries about being led by the nose like cattle

I think any revocation of Article 50, assuming it isn't a plot to extend the delay, would have to be done by a public vote.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11   #4251
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I know we disagree on much of this, but at present the economy does rely on migrants because of the time that would be taken to upskill the unemployed in this country. That requires preparation, and funding, to change.

Many of whom who have been on the scrapheap for years, or even since birth in some of our abandoned communities.

I’m loathed to cite phone ins, but yesterday a business owner “leave voter” on Radio 5 said we need free trade deals with third countries to allow migration from there.

Last edited by jfman; 04-12-2018 at 11:15.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:19   #4252
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Seems to me some people have no worries about being derogatory to those who have different views to them..
You're right Hugh, apologies for that post, I really must count to 10 sometimes . .
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25   #4253
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Seems to me some people have no worries about being derogatory to those who have different views to them.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Nothing to do with the EU - the number of non-EU migrants has been steadily rising for the last few years, so leaving the EU won’t change that.

10% of our NHS doctors and 7% of NHS nurses are from the EU, and as it takes 4 years to train a nurse and 10 years for a doctor, not sure where we are going to get 11,000 doctors and 20,000 nurses, fully trained, at short notice from our native population.
Are you blind ?

I have NO problem with skilled migrants coming here - I have always said this - I have said unskilled are the issue, you get the difference yeah ?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:31   #4254
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I know we disagree on much of this, but at present the economy does rely on migrants because of the time that would be taken to upskill the unemployed in this country. That requires preparation, and funding, to change.

Many of whom who have been on the scrapheap for years, or even since birth in some of our abandoned communities.

I’m loathed to cite phone ins, but yesterday a business owner “leave voter” on Radio 5 said we need free trade deals with third countries to allow migration from there.
And many companies need to change their mentality around training up people as instead of seeing it as a easy way of cheaply exploiting them to their own ends with poor training they need to improve very much the standard of the training and that require more investment at the end of the day and too many companies are unwilling to do that IMO.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:32   #4255
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are you blind ?

I have NO problem with skilled migrants coming here - I have always said this - I have said unskilled are the issue, you get the difference yeah ?
Mick it the UK government choice it didn't act on rules to control migrants the non EU one have total control choose not to and 3 month rule on EU ones and choose not too
Old 04-12-2018, 11:41   #4256
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And many companies need to change their mentality around training up people as instead of seeing it as a easy way of cheaply exploiting them to their own ends with poor training they need to improve very much the standard of the training and that require more investment at the end of the day and too many companies are unwilling to do that IMO.
I don’t disagree with you on this. That and tax avoidance.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48   #4257
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It also means we could revoke it then issue it again and get another two years...
No, it doesn’t...

Part of the opinion states

Quote:
"The principles of good faith and sincere cooperation must also be observed, in order to prevent abuse of the procedure laid down in Article 50 TEU."
In other words, the UK must want to cancel Brexit, not just improve its negotiation position.

Also, the UK cannot just re-start the clock - if the revocation is not sincere then it is not valid. If EU27 are not convinced that UK is acting in good faith, and this view is upheld by the ECJ, then the UK does not have the right to unilaterally revoke.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55   #4258
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No, it doesn’t...

Part of the opinion states

In other words, the UK must want to cancel Brexit, not just improve its negotiation position.

Also, the UK cannot just re-start the clock - if the revocation is not sincere then it is not valid. If EU27 are not convinced that UK is acting in good faith, and this view is upheld by the ECJ, then the UK does not have the right to unilaterally revoke.
Correct - however I would like to ask when has the EU ever acted in good faith ???

Answers to be revealed on the 12th of never!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:15   #4259
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Divorce is a 2 way thing. Can you imagine if I divorced the wife (my choice) so I get to come up with a plan of what's mine. There would be outrage.

The EU hasn't offered anything themselves other than the UK chose to leave so you sort the mess out but then everytime we have gone back with a plan they have down voted it.

Until this mess we are in now. They have made this as difficult as possible because nothing has ever really been setup in the EU for a country leaving especially a big one like the UK. They have had to put a brave face on because they don't like it and rather than try and make a smooth transaction they have made it as difficult as possible to show other nations that might be thinking about it that really it's impossible.

We really need to put our foot down the EU want us to turn around they are probably having a laugh over it. I want to keep going forward I don't really think they have countered for everything or they wouldn't have made it this difficult.

Onwards and upwards
Old 04-12-2018, 12:22   #4260
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Divorce is a two way thing but leaving the EU isn’t. It’s a decision by the UK on the basis of reclaiming “sovereignty”.

As a sovereign country surely we should be able to plan on standing on our own two feet?

Your comparison would be like the wife leaving you to **** the milkman, but wanting you to support their lovely life together because on his wages they can’t afford the mortgage on your old house.

(Only because it looks worse than it is the four letter word rhymes with bag, not duck.)
Closed Thread