Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 26-11-2018, 19:22   #3811
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Aah, I see the old EU immigration debate has come up again so I guess it's time to post a link to the governments own study - https://assets.publishing.service.go...EEA_report.PDF.

From that report we have;

Wages;

Public services;

Again, the question remains why did successive UK governments allow unrestricted migration from the EU when there were mechanisms in place under EU law to prevent migration becoming an excessive burden to the state. This includes rules that say they must be working, self supporting or in education after three months or they must leave.Belgium manages this just fine.
Andrew posted something similar earlier; in response I said that I don't think that these reports don't paint the true picture. I still believe that the majority of unskilled immigrants get a better deal out of them coming here than we do.

Economics aside, they are putting pressure on public services. Yes, some help the NHS, but how many more of these NHS staff are needed to cope with the immigrants themselves?

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Don’t forget that non-EU immigration has been higher the EU immigration for decades, and still is...

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/
Interesting...
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2018, 19:22   #3812
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I have experience of immigrants, their jobs, their pay and their history of benefit claims due to past and present roles.

Assumptions are seldom true and never helpful.
You'll know then that EU migrants are less likely to be claiming benefits, and more likely to be contributors than our home grown population.

Quote:
. Migrants from the EU contribute £2,300 more to the exchequer each year in net terms than the average adult, the analysis for the government has found.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8542506.html
Old 26-11-2018, 19:28   #3813
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You'll know then that EU migrants are less likely to be claiming benefits, and more likely to be contributors than our home grown population.

This explains a lot.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...EEA_report.PDF
Old 26-11-2018, 19:30   #3814
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

She sees an opportunity, obviously! Corbyn doesn't understand Brexit and doesn't know where he stands on it. A debate on this subject will demonstrate to the electorate who would make a better leader..
Just like she saw the last General Electrion as an opportunity . #strongandstable

The more Corbyn was exposed in an election campaign, the further his ratings went up !
Old 26-11-2018, 19:36   #3815
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Just like she saw the last General Electrion as an opportunity . #strongandstable

The more Corbyn was exposed in an election campaign, the further his ratings went up !
Personally Corbyn is not the leader l would pick for the Labour party but the Conservatives would be wise not to repeat the same tactic as last time as it obviously did not work in 2017 and was pretty much a unmitigated disaster for them as voters get fed up with repeated personal character assassination attacks.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:43   #3816
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Course you have - let me guess, you can’t discuss these ‘roles’...

I have experience of violent racist thugs (BNP and EDL), but, strangely enough, I do not make the assumption that they represent all, or even the majority, of Brits, so don’t judge all Brits on the inappropriate behaviour of a few.
I have experience of 'the behaviour' of many immigrants through various roles, such as voluntary work, management committees, sub committees, past & present jobs etc.

What a lot do to get round the no Jobseekers Allowance for three months rule (in non Universal Credit areas) is to become 'self employed' for 16 hours a week on a tiny income e.g. taxi drivers claiming to work for £1 an hour or scrap metal dealers who say they hardly find anything. This entitles them to claim Child Benefit, maximum Tax Credits, Council Tax Reduction, Housing Benefit etc.

This is why Camerons Government made changes to how Universal Credit is administered ie if the self employed don't earn above a notional threshold after a year, benefit is terminated.

In addition, his Government restricted the amount of children who could be claimed for to two and increased the minimum wage, so that those in legitimate remunerative work would be able to claim less.

Don't forget that some of these children have never set foot in the UK.

As the EU require EU immigrants and British people to be treated the same, this also applied to people here too and is causing problems, something that Mrs May's Government has promised to look into.

Your wife (or one of here colleagues) may be able to confirm exactly what's been going on.

Another issue that I have is the EU reciprocal arrangements for healthcare. EU visitors are allowed the same treatment afforded to natives of the relevant country. Those coming here can avail themselves of our NHS, yet if we go to their countries where free healthcare is limited or non existant, we have to pay.

We are being taken for a ride simply because we provide free healthcare, which hardly encourages Governments to provide this.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 26-11-2018 at 19:50.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:47   #3817
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally Corbyn is not the leader l would pick for the Labour party but the Conservatives would be wise not to repeat the same tactic as last time as it obviously did not work in 2017 and was pretty much a unmitigated disaster for them as voters get fed up with repeated personal character assassination attacks.
Agreed. I don't need a telly debate to tell me that Theresa May is the better of these two underwhelming politicians, although I do hugely admire Theresa May's resilience and determination. It would probably benefit JC to appear but he's probably daft enough to avoid the opportunity.
Labour should bring back David Milliband but he probably thinks UK politics is a thankless task.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 26-11-2018 at 19:52.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:50   #3818
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A TV debate is pointless.

All JC does is shout and tell May to stand aside and let Labour take over Brexit.

But JC just want to keep us in the single market.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:52   #3819
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Agreed. I don't need a telly debate to tell me that Theresa May is the better of these two underwhelming politicians, although I do hugely admire Theresa May's resilience and determination. It would probably benefit JC to appear but he's probably daft enough to avoid the opportunity.
Problem for May will be that she'll go into Maybot mode and say bugger all anything of value.

Corbyn will just stick it to her and will win the debate hands down. But that isn't an election result.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:53   #3820
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
A TV debate is pointless.

All JC does is shout and tell May to stand aside and let Labour take over Brexit.

But JC just want to keep us in the single market.
Think you'll find Jezza is more of a Eurosceptic than May ...
Old 26-11-2018, 19:53   #3821
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Like I say, some do provide financial (and other) benefits to the UK and there's no reason that they cannot continue to be welcomed.

However, I maintain that these reports don't paint the full picture and that the immigrants are the ones to mainly benefit from coming here (especially where they are uneducated, unskilled etc). These are the ones we need to rid ourselves of.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:56   #3822
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Andrew posted something similar earlier; in response I said that I don't think that these reports don't paint the true picture. I still believe that the majority of unskilled immigrants get a better deal out of them coming here than we do.

Economics aside, they are putting pressure on public services. Yes, some help the NHS, but how many more of these NHS staff are needed to cope with the immigrants themselves?[.
It's natural to be influenced by what we see and experience as opposed to the bigger picture that we get from grey statistics. We probably all are far more swayed than we care to admit by our own experiences, especially adverse ones.
If you look at the ages of EU immigrants v the current UK population, you will see that they are younger hence the £2,300 a year profit the country makes from them.
Old 26-11-2018, 19:58   #3823
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
He always has been.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Quote:
Like I say, some do provide financial (and other) benefits to the UK and there's no reason that they cannot continue to be welcomed.

However, I maintain that these reports don't paint the full picture and that the immigrants are the ones to mainly benefit from coming here (especially where they are uneducated, unskilled etc). These are the ones we need to rid ourselves of.
These reports are independent and are free from political influence.
Old 26-11-2018, 20:01   #3824
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Jezza has a triangular dilemma. He is torn between Labour MPs who favour Remain, Labour constituencies who favour Leave and Jezza himself who secretly favours Leave but also wants to be in power so needs to oppose Leave to get in power.
Old 26-11-2018, 20:30   #3825
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Jezza has a triangular dilemma. He is torn between Labour MPs who favour Remain, Labour constituencies who favour Leave and Jezza himself who secretly favours Leave but also wants to be in power so needs to oppose Leave to get in power.
One good reason why he would welcome leaving the EU is that he could nationalise and subsidise to his heart's content until he bankrupts us. Then we can prepare for austerity all over again.
Closed Thread