Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do hand-cleaning products damage CDs and DVDs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Do hand-cleaning products damage CDs and DVDs

Old 21-03-2022, 17:42   #16
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Does hand sanitiser damage DVDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Isn’t it funny how when they first came out CDs were widely believed to be indestructible, scratch proof, and all sorts of things …. I remember in the 80s an auntie getting a CD player and then washing one of her CDs in the kitchen sink to prove how clever and modern they were.
I was just about to post saying "I remember a host of Tomorrows World (or was it Blue Peter?) smothering one in jam."

But then I thought, I'd check whether it was TW or BP and googled it.

Seems I was wrong with both!

https://www.orchardoo.com/TWCompactDisc.htm
Old 21-03-2022, 18:28   #17
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

The only reason people remember it as Tomorrows World is because at the time it was a prevalent show. As your link shows it is not a totally false memory just remembered slightly wrong

This is the breakfast show one in full

Looking at the format of that clip you can see how easy it is that it is remembered as Tomorrows World imo

Last edited by Jaymoss; 21-03-2022 at 18:32.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 18:58   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A segment on BBC show Tomorrow's World presented by Kieran Prendiville was partly responsible; he was shown scraping and scratching a Bee Gees CD to demonstrate its resilience, although folklore states that he coated it with strawberry jam. Neither Prendiville nor co-host Maggie Philbin remembers any jam; just Kieran's sceptical pondering over whether it would catch on.
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/i...n-9155238.html

The actual clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMp1pSVxoqw
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 17:48   #19
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, it won’t. To damage the disc it would have to either warp, scratch or corrode the plastic, and I very much doubt anything you can put on your hands would be capable of doing that. If it leaves visible smears it may of course fail to play back properly but cleaning it with a soft cloth would fix that.
Thank you for the reply.

I am relieved to read that a bit of dried handwash which might not disappear after a thorough rinse will not cause any damage to a CD or DVD.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 14:16   #20
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Apologies for bringing up an old topic but it has occurred to me whether any soap left in your hands after washing and rinsing can damage CDs and DVDs.

I have noticed that whilst you can easily wash away soap, the 'grease' from the soap stays on your hands and that it is not that easy to fully dry your hands.

I came across his in a Google search which said:

"CDs and DVDs are made from polycarbonate, with a layer of foil (gold or aluminum) protected by a layer of lacquer. That's the same plastic as your eyeglasses!... A mild dish soap that is water-based. Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol and water - mixed at a rate of 1:1....If you'll be careful to not scratch the disc, the washing itself will not damage the disc. btw, because of the soap can leave some residuals."

This was written in2013 and it's difficult to be sure whether tis way referring to soap which one sues to wash one's hands.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2023, 14:43   #21
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It'll be fine, just use glasses cleaner and I lint free cloth or ven a paper towel would do for cleaning if need be.But who holds a dvd using their fingers on the main surface, always use the edges and the centre hole.

Maybe it's kids fingerprints though?
Old 06-02-2023, 02:51   #22
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington
As said in the question, do you damage DVDs and CDs if you handle them after using hand sanitiser?
Hand sanitiser is not good for us!!

It washes away natural protective layers meant to keep us from sickness.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 15:06   #23
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Does soap damage CDs/DVDs?

To avoid confusion, I thought it best to re-ask the question in its own discussion topic.

I have noticed that whilst you can easily wash away soap, the 'grease' from the soap stays on your hands and that it is not that easy to fully dry your hands.

I came across his in a Google search which said:

"CDs and DVDs are made from polycarbonate, with a layer of foil (gold or aluminum) protected by a layer of lacquer... A mild dish soap that is water-based. Isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol and water - mixed at a rate of 1:1....If you'll be careful to not scratch the disc, the washing itself will not damage the disc. btw, because of the soap can leave some residuals."

It is this protective layer that is mentioned in this article written in 2013 which stops CDs and DVDs being damaged by soap, especially after the soap has been thoroughly rinsed away, thereby leaving greasy hand?.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2023, 15:22   #24
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Does soap damage CDs/DVDs?

Why not try it and see? Surely you have some "mistake purchase" or "unwanted gift" CDs/DVDs you never want to play again. I know I certainly do.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 16:00   #25
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

CDs are more sensitive to damage as the error correction is not as strong as on DVDs so a CD is the thing to test it on.
Old 06-02-2023, 21:03   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Merged [again].
Stop keep asking the same/similar question in multiple topics, one is enough.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:06   #27
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

CD's don't last forever. Always a good idea to back them up to a hard drive.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 13:30   #28
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why not try it and see? Surely you have some "mistake purchase" or "unwanted gift" CDs/DVDs you never want to play again. I know I certainly do.
Thank you for your reply.

My concern regarding doing this is that it could damage the device I was playing the disc on.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
CDs are more sensitive to damage as the error correction is not as strong as on DVDs so a CD is the thing to test it on.
I didn't know that.

I guess it comes down to whether there are protective layers on discs and how well they repel dirt of any kind, as well as washing products which are designed for our hands and not for CDs and DVDs.
Old 07-02-2023, 15:46   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Yep, regardless of any cleaning products, recordable CDs degrade over time.
Depending on quality, their lifespan could be as short as 20 years. Commercial [eg Music] CDs [should] last a lot longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
My concern regarding doing this is that it could damage the device I was playing the disc on.[/COLOR]
In short, No, a CD/DVD player simply shines a laser at the disk.
They wont be damaged any more than a torch would be if you shined it at one.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 17:49   #30
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Just found this:

Code:
Optical disc formats 	Average longevity
CD-R (phthalocyanine dye, gold metal layer) 	>100 years
CD-R (phthalocyanine dye, silver alloy metal layer) 	50 to 100 years
DVD-R (gold metal layer) 	50 to 100 years
CD (read-only, such as an audio CD) 	50 to 100 years
CD-RW (erasable CD) 	20 to 50 years
BD-RE (erasable Blu-ray) 	20 to 50 years
DVD+R (silver alloy metal layer) 	20 to 50 years
CD-R (cyanine or azo dye, silver alloy metal layer) 	20 to 50 years
DVD+RW (erasable DVD) 	20 to 50 years
BD-R (non-dye, gold metal layer) 	10 to 20 years
DVD-R (silver alloy metal layer) 	10 to 20 years
DVD and BD (read-only, such as a DVD or Blu-ray movie) 	10 to 20 years
BD-R (dye or non-dye, single layer or dual layer) 	5 to 10 years
DVD-RW (erasable DVD) 	5 to 10 years
DVD+R DL (dual layer) 	5 to 10 years
That's a lot longer than your typical hard drive.

I bought my first CDs in 1986, and I haven't noticed any failing yet.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote