Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do hand-cleaning products damage CDs and DVDs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Do hand-cleaning products damage CDs and DVDs

Old 19-03-2022, 16:22   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Do hand-cleaning products damage CDs and DVDs

As said in the question, do you damage DVDs and CDs if you handle them after using hand sanitiser?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2022, 16:23   #2
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Does handwash damage DVDs?

Also, does hand wash damage DVDs and CDs?

I ask because even after rinsing you can still have some handwash on your hand so I am wondering if this would be an issue when handing DVDs and CDs, even after your hands have dried out.
Old 19-03-2022, 16:27   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Does hand sanitiser damage DVDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
As said in the question, do you damage DVDs and CDs if you handle them after using hand sanitiser?
They contain alcohol mainly, so i'd guess it would be OK providing you gently clean the playing surface with a lint free cloth if you've got fingerprints on it.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 16:41   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I would dilute it first a little as for the soap question I would give that a swerve
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 16:46   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

CD and DVD cleaners are alcohol based so I’d assume not.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

seriously … a thread each for sanitiser and soap? Merged.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 16:51   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Some sanitisers have "moisturising content", probably an oil, that remains on your hands after use. That could transfer to disks if you don't handle them carefully (by the edges only).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 17:09   #7
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Does handwash damage DVDs?

Quote:
Also, does hand wash damage DVDs and CDs?

I ask because even after rinsing you can still have some handwash on your hand so I am wondering if this would be an issue when handing DVDs and CDs, even after your hands have dried out.
Washing hands, for me at least, isn't a new thing, I've been doing it since before I owned CDs, DVDs, Blu Rays, they still seem to work
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 18:29   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

you would be better off with a cap full of vodka
Old 20-03-2022, 13:51   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you would be better off with a cap full of vodka

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO

DON'T YOU DARE.

Drink the stuff, and don't waste it cleaning discs.

Old 20-03-2022, 17:30   #10
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Thank you for the replies although I'm still unclear as to whether handling discs after washing your hands with handwash - there is always some handwash still on your hands no matter how well you rinse - or using hand sanitiser would damage discs.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Some sanitisers have "moisturising content", probably an oil, that remains on your hands after use. That could transfer to disks if you don't handle them carefully (by the edges only).
Thank you for the reply and that is my concern because with the best will in the world one is always going to end up touching more than just the edges of a disc which is why I am asking the question.
Old 20-03-2022, 18:45   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Thank you for the replies although I'm still unclear as to whether handling discs after washing your hands with handwash - there is always some handwash still on your hands no matter how well you rinse - or using hand sanitiser would damage discs.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Thank you for the reply and that is my concern because with the best will in the world one is always going to end up touching more than just the edges of a disc which is why I am asking the question.
you should always handle discs with care and not touch the recorded side as much as possible
Old 20-03-2022, 19:30   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you should always handle discs with care and not touch the recorded side as much as possible
Isn’t it funny how when they first came out CDs were widely believed to be indestructible, scratch proof, and all sorts of things …. I remember in the 80s an auntie getting a CD player and then washing one of her CDs in the kitchen sink to prove how clever and modern they were.
Old 20-03-2022, 20:25   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Yeah I remember how it was advertised hahahah
Old 21-03-2022, 15:23   #14
Rillington
cf.mega poster

as do I - the footage of them being smeared with jam on I bleieve Tomrrow's World sticks in the memory.

As Jaymoss said, handle discs with care and I presume that the recorded side is the underside of the disc and the non recorded side is the side with the writing on it?

So to clarify, will handwash on your hands, either dry or damp, cause discs to become damaged?
Old 21-03-2022, 16:11   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

No, it won’t. To damage the disc it would have to either warp, scratch or corrode the plastic, and I very much doubt anything you can put on your hands would be capable of doing that. If it leaves visible smears it may of course fail to play back properly but cleaning it with a soft cloth would fix that.