Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 11-06-2004, 13:22   #16
Graham

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
Erm, while the book you're currently reading is technically different, is this thread supposed to be different from what's the last book that you read?
Hmm, well a) I didn't find that thread when I looked to see if this topic had been done before and b) this is not just a list of books, but an invitation to tell others a bit more about it than just "I'm reading X"
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2004, 13:23   #17
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
I am currently reading this
Recursive error in post #4...!
Old 11-06-2004, 13:24   #18
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
A bit belated, but i'm reading "The Salmon Of Doubt" by the late, great, Douglas Adams. It is a collection of articles he published before his death, and includes some chapters he was working on just before he died.
Yes, I've read that, it's got some fascinating stuff in and the sample chapters hint at a book that would have been great fun had he finished it
Old 11-06-2004, 13:31   #19
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Well ok then - as it happens I'm reading Starship Troopers (The original Heinlein one) (bedside reading)

Also - Do androids dream of electric sheep (downstairs loo )

And - Airship 9 (upstairs loo )

And - The Dark Half (work )
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 13:32   #20
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
Well ok then - as it happens I'm reading Starship Troopers (The original Heinlein one) (bedside reading)

Also - Do androids dream of electric sheep (downstairs loo )

And - Airship 9 (upstairs loo )

And - The Dark Half (work )
Ok, so tell us a bit about them and why you're reading them! Are they good? Bad? Indifferent? Well written...?
Old 11-06-2004, 13:42   #21
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

I'll read just about anything (hence the F5 book) as long as it takes away the boredom of 80 minutes of bus journeys every day.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 13:47   #22
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Ok, so tell us a bit about them and why you're reading them! Are they good? Bad? Indifferent? Well written...?
Ok - in order...

Starship troopers - Very good book - but a bit on the old side, I've always had a thing about Heinlein (Ever since reading Space Cadet) - I'm reading it (again) Because I wanted to compare it with the films.

Do Androids dream of electric sheep? - Again reading it to compare to the film - it's ok I guess so far - but I've only just started it - so I'm going to reserve judgement until I get more into it

Airship 9 - A classic 'end of the world' book - one of my fave genre's, I do like it I must admit. But I think the airship in question is going to be toasted soon

The Dark Half - More Stephen King - possibly my fave author - It's an interesting story and not as long as most of his books, Not as good and involving as something like The Stand - but a good read non the less.

I always try to read the book before I see the film if I can (is there is an original) Normally I find the book a lot better (with the exception of The Tommyknockers - where I found the TV Film a LOT better than the book)
Old 11-06-2004, 19:53   #23
Graham

Quote:
Starship troopers - Very good book - but a bit on the old side, I've always had a thing about Heinlein (Ever since reading Space Cadet) - I'm reading it (again) Because I wanted to compare it with the films.
It's a bit different, isn't it?!

Quote:
Do Androids dream of electric sheep? - Again reading it to compare to the film - it's ok I guess so far - but I've only just started it - so I'm going to reserve judgement until I get more into it
It's a bit different, isn't it!!

Quote:
Airship 9 - A classic 'end of the world' book - one of my fave genre's, I do like it I must admit. But I think the airship in question is going to be toasted soon
I've not heard of this one, who's it by? How about a quick intro? (But no spoilers!)
Old 12-06-2004, 16:12   #24
Graham

Now reading: The Skylark of Space by EE Doc Smith. (To be followed by the rest of the Skylark series)

Ok, so I've read it before and it's a wonderfully ridiculous piece of Space Opera, but it's also so much fun!!

There's acts of derring do, a mighty thewed hero, a hissable villain, damsels in distress, noble extra-terrestrials and evil aliens and some *totally* incredible weaponry!

If you want stuff that makes you think (apart from thinking "what the...?!" ) then this probably isn't for you, but if you're looking for something that will let you take your mind off the hook and just lay back and enjoy the ride then this series of books is the equivalent of a "Summer Blockbuster" movie!
Old 12-06-2004, 16:22   #25
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
It's a bit different, isn't it?!

It's a bit different, isn't it!!

I've not heard of this one, who's it by? How about a quick intro? (But no spoilers!)
Both film books are a indeed a LOT different - Starship troopers is a lot better than the film. So far do androids dream of electric sheep seems a tad worse than the film - but it may pick up.

Airship 9 is by Thomas H Block - HHHmmm - a quick intro...

Lots of nukes go off - everyone dead apart from the airship and a russian warship (it's worth remembernig this was written well before the cold war ended) and some scientists in the antartic.

It's not a brilliant book - but I like the 'end of the world' type book.... Amongst my best types of this book are 'Z for Zacharia' and 'Children of the Dust'

There is a review here - but it MAY give too much away I guess.

http://www.sfreviews.com/docs/Thomas...hip%20Nine.htm
Old 12-06-2004, 18:32   #26
Graham

Quote:
Both film books are a indeed a LOT different - Starship troopers is a lot better than the film. So far do androids dream of electric sheep seems a tad worse than the film - but it may pick up.
The thing is, DADoES is *completely different* from the film, apart from a few character names and some other bits and pieces, there's virtually no relationship between the two.

With ST, however, there are relationships, but they're practically all for the bad, apart from they managed to get the "moral philosophy" right.

Quote:
Airship 9 is by Thomas H Block - HHHmmm - a quick intro...
<snip>
It's not a brilliant book - but I like the 'end of the world' type book....
Hmm, not really the style of reading I go for. Too depressing!
Old 20-11-2004, 15:55   #27
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction", by Jon Stewart

V funny
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 15:59   #28
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Completely forgot about this thread

I'm now reading Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption again
Old 20-11-2004, 19:07   #29
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I've literally just got my hands on The Iron Council by China Mieville.

I'm going to savour it.Good fantasy is so hard to find these days.

Edit: Forgot to say I finished Going Postal By Terry Pratchett last week.So wonderful and a nice sideways swipe at the internet.

Incog.
Old 20-11-2004, 19:13   #30
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

have just finished "the lake house" by james patterson. very strange book. it's a bit of a sci fi thriller... but good book

now reading "the reading club" by elizabeth nobel
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote