Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Automatic compensation for broadband users goes live

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Automatic compensation for broadband users goes live

Old 04-04-2019, 19:37   #16
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Automatic compensation for broadband users goes live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I call immediately, and I'm often told I am the first to report a problem in the area. An hour or so later up pops "area network problem, techs on their way". So is there a critical mass of complaints required to tip them into action?
I should imagine so Taf. Why send networks out if an engineer can fix it with a home visit?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2019, 20:34   #17
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I call immediately, and I'm often told I am the first to report a problem in the area. An hour or so later up pops "area network problem, techs on their way". So is there a critical mass of complaints required to tip them into action?
There is a team who monitor the fault calls to spot common patterns. But many network faults are detected automatically without anybody calling at all.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 20:15   #18
livelysprite
cf.member

livelysprite is on a distinguished roadlivelysprite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
after 2 full working days from registering the loss of service to us
I can't get my head around what that is supposed to mean. The way I read it is you only get £8 a day after you have been without broadband for 2 working days and if it's fixed on the 3rd day, you get nothing.

Just this month, the electrical cable in our street burned out and the burning damaged some virgin media cables underground. I had no electricity or broadband for two days. I called VM after two working days and an automated message said "you have been without broadband for 2 working days" and "you have not registered the fault, press 1 to register and get a credit on your next bill". I'll just have to wait and see if I get £8 per day.
livelysprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 21:58   #19
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The policy in detail is here:
https://store.virginmedia.com/the-le...pensation.html
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 00:21   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelysprite View Post
I can't get my head around what that is supposed to mean. The way I read it is you only get £8 a day after you have been without broadband for 2 working days and if it's fixed on the 3rd day, you get nothing.

Just this month, the electrical cable in our street burned out and the burning damaged some virgin media cables underground. I had no electricity or broadband for two days. I called VM after two working days and an automated message said "you have been without broadband for 2 working days" and "you have not registered the fault, press 1 to register and get a credit on your next bill". I'll just have to wait and see if I get £8 per day.
The way I read it, they will pay £8 per day from the third day if it's still off by 23:59 on the second day provided that the customer reported the fault immediately. Each day that you don't report it (even if VM know about it from another source) means one less day of compensation.

In the example you quoted, as it would have been off at 23:59 on the second day, you would get £8- even if VM fixed it at midnight.

Have I read it correctly when I take it to mean that priority fault customers don't have to serve the two waiting days?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 14:11   #21
livelysprite
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The way I read it, they will pay £8 per day from the third day if it's still off by 23:59 on the second day provided that the customer reported the fault immediately. Each day that you don't report it (even if VM know about it from another source) means one less day of compensation.

In the example you quoted, as it would have been off at 23:59 on the second day, you would get £8- even if VM fixed it at midnight.

Have I read it correctly when I take it to mean that priority fault customers don't have to serve the two waiting days?

Well, this month's bill is in and I have zero compensation.
Old 07-08-2019, 14:14   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well, this month's bill is in and I have zero compensation.
I still think you have to activate something online to say you have a fault but i could be wrong?
Old 07-08-2019, 14:25   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I still think you have to activate something online to say you have a fault but i could be wrong?
livelysprite didn't get any compo because he wasn't without BB for 2 days after registering the fault.
Old 07-08-2019, 15:00   #24
livelysprite
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
livelysprite didn't get any compo because he wasn't without BB for 2 days after registering the fault.
Yes, one always seems to learn the hard way with VM and such like.
Old 07-08-2019, 15:28   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Yes, one always seems to learn the hard way with VM and such like.
Unfortunately yes. There are more than you who have learned a lesson from this thread, myself included.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:39   #26
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It they are aware of the fault you can automatically register via phone options without needing to speak to anyone.

But I always understood the compensation as being in effect from the point you reported it and not the point the fault started.

It does prompt people to report issues to - many don't bother reporting their issues and then complain when they are not fixed.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 18:28   #27
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

What happens in the case of partial service though. My reading of the wording suggests nothing.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:42   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Just thought it was worth pointing out that OFCOM have suspended the scheme due to the Coronavirus Pandemic

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...tion-need-know

Quote:
Update 25 March 2020 – the coronavirus
This is an unprecedented time for our country, and keeping communications going across the UK has never been more important. Broadband and landline services will play a vital role as we all adapt the way we live and communicate in the wake of the coronavirus.

Given the unique circumstances presented by the coronavirus, Ofcom’s view is that it would be legitimate for providers not to pay automatic compensation just as if the civil emergencies exception in the Automatic Compensation Scheme applies. Where signatories do claim this exception applies, we expect them to clearly communicate the reasons why to their customers, and continue to act in their customers' best interests.