Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media possible takeover of KCOM?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media possible takeover of KCOM?

Old 10-02-2019, 18:58   #1
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
Virgin Media possible takeover of KCOM?

Daily Telewag; "Virgin Media is exploring what would be a historic takeover of KCOM, the monopoly telecoms provider in Hull, in an attempt to accelerate its network expansion programme.

The cable operator, controlled by US billionaire John Malone, is considering a bid to add KCOM’s 200,000 “full-fibre” broadband lines to its network, according to multiple sources."
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2019, 19:02   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media possible takeover of KCOM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Daily Telewag; "Virgin Media is exploring what would be a historic takeover of KCOM, the monopoly telecoms provider in Hull, in an attempt to accelerate its network expansion programme.

The cable operator, controlled by US billionaire John Malone, is considering a bid to add KCOM’s 200,000 “full-fibre” broadband lines to its network, according to multiple sources."
Interesting. Is KCOM up for sale or is it a hostile bid?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 19:07   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Looks like a hostile bid to me.
Old 10-02-2019, 19:10   #4
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

They only give part of the story unless you register with them. That's all the info I have, sorry. Didn't want to link to a part story.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 19:13   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
They only give part of the story unless you register with them. That's all the info I have, sorry. Didn't want to link to a part story.
From what l can ascertain about Hull and its broadband.

Quote:
Hull has long had a unique setup when it comes to broadband options.
Quote:
The majority of phone companies across the country were absorbed into what was then the Post Office Telephone Group – now known as BT.
Quote:
The network in Hull however was an exception, and remained its own company.
Originally known as the Hull Corporation, KCOM now offers broadband services across Hull and East Yorkshire.
Old 10-02-2019, 19:23   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Here is the story on pressreader...

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-s...81505047472782
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:28   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder if they would use the existing infrastructure (assuming it's done the way that BT do it), or if they would start to cable their newly aquired customers??

I know that the local authority owned it, not sure if they still do or not. If so, it's a good time to try and buy it whilst councils are so cash strapped after losing Government grants (northern councils have lost out more with the cuts according to this mornings political programmes). This might make them more open to selling the company.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 20:54   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

It’s an interesting one. KCom sold of their national network and metros to Cityfibre a couple of years ago.

But what they have been doing in Hull is rolling out FTTH for some time.

If they bought it, and i’ve Heard nothing about it - however LG will have some cash when the VF deals in Germany go through, and Mike Fries has intimated the money would be potentially spent on UK acquisitions - it makes sense. They’ve been looking at Hull for sometime in regards to Lightning, problem is they have some Network North Lincolnshire but nothing really in the East Riding. Ideally they would connect Hull via Scunthorpe and Leeds They could get fibre across the Humber Bridge but then it’s a long way to West Yorkshire.

If they were thinking of bringing Lightning to Hull, makes sense, and probably cheaper, to buy the incumbent.

I can see this happening.
Old 10-02-2019, 20:58   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder if they would use the existing infrastructure (assuming it's done the way that BT do it), or if they would start to cable their newly aquired customers??

I know that the local authority owned it, not sure if they still do or not. If so, it's a good time to try and buy it whilst councils are so cash strapped after losing Government grants (northern councils have lost out more with the cuts according to this mornings political programmes). This might make them more open to selling the company.
The LA sold off their shares a few years ago.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 00:02   #10
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

Very interesting read as a number of friends live in Hull and suffer from poor speeds also there is no LLU as BT are not in the core areas only the outskirts . Virgin Business have a lot of circuits in Hull on Kcom tails back which to go back to a point where it jumps onto Virgin network . when cable my street was running I know there was some interest . City fibre are busy doing a metro wifi in areas .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 19:00   #11
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Virgin has quite a presence over there now and I do believe Virgin have run a fibre up to Beverley. I do know Virgin have a link across the Bridge already from Barton to do with MS3 Networks who are based in Hessle. BT even have an operations centre at Willerby so there is the connectivity there. BT have quite a presence in Carr Lane (KCom HQ) when I was working over there last year and I was under the impression BT owned part of them now.

Interesting times ahead in Hull, will be watching it with interest from the other side of the water.
Old 14-02-2019, 11:06   #12
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Virgin has quite a presence over there now and I do believe Virgin have run a fibre up to Beverley. I do know Virgin have a link across the Bridge already from Barton to do with MS3 Networks who are based in Hessle. BT even have an operations centre at Willerby so there is the connectivity there. BT have quite a presence in Carr Lane (KCom HQ) when I was working over there last year and I was under the impression BT owned part of them now.

Interesting times ahead in Hull, will be watching it with interest from the other side of the water.
Virgin has no presence in Hull, they have not run a fibre up to Beverley and they don't have a fibre across the Bridge.
Old 14-02-2019, 16:41   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Here is the story on pressreader...

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-s...81505047472782
That site is horrible, how does anyone read anything on it. I gave up.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 18:38   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
That site is horrible, how does anyone read anything on it. I gave up.
I read it on an iPad Pro, and it’s fine on that (example attached).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 476C9521-62DE-4C75-9A46-ECE9A974E9E9.jpg (452.6 KB, 17 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 20:25   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I get a massive pop-up covering about 3/4 of the page saying "download the App".

... or another one bleating on about "Try Premium for Free". Dreadful.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote