Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Creating A Wireless Flat - What hardware?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Creating A Wireless Flat - What hardware?

Old 06-09-2005, 15:59   #1
subaculture
Inactive

subaculture is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Creating A Wireless Flat - What hardware?

Hi,

I am a student and wireless newbie but have been put in charge of providing broadband for me and my two fellow flatmate students. I am in a flat with no telephone line - 3 students in three rooms with three Windows based machines.

- a Dell Dimension 8400 running XP with Ethernet Cable Access.

- a Windows XP based laptop with an Intel ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card

- a laptop with Windows 98 with just a USB 1.0.

I am getting NTL Cable broadband with a cable modem. The question is: Do i get the modem directly to my room and PC and let the two others connect from their rooms? Ot in case I have to leave the flat, is it better to install it in the hallway?

What hardware do I need. I know my friend with the USB only will require a USB Wireless Connector but is the only thing I need a Wireless Cable Router?

Any hardware hints on getting/ sending NTL broadband to 3 computers would be very helpful!!

Any help
Thanks
Michael
subaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2005, 16:16   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: Creating A Wireless Flat - What hardware?

Best bet is one of these or these or these.

Buy it before hand and place it in your room. Fire it up and see if the wireless lappy can get signal where it needs to be, if that works then you can cable to it and then you'll only need a pcmcia wireless card for the win98 lappy (£10-20).

If you cannot get a signal to the laptop then find a place that does and then you'll have to site the cable modem there and either run a network cable to your pc or get a pci wireless card for your pc.

hth

hm
edit It could be the perfect excuse to get one of these babies

As for the hints, get it installed and bin the disc. Theres instructions on here for getting it running with-out ntls software. once running on one pc simply unplug the power ethernet to the router and then to the pc and all should be working. Tweeak your router with a meaning full ssid then get your laptops to connect. once they are all connected you can set-up whatever security you need on the router safe in the knowledge that you can at least resort to it working.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 16:19   #3
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Hello and

there is some usefull info here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33018
and i'm sure somebody will give you full instructions on how to set one up
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 16:41   #4
subaculture
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
Best bet is one of these or these or these.

cable to it and then you'll only need a pcmcia wireless card for the win98 lappy (£10-20).

If you cannot get a signal to the laptop then find a place that does and then you'll have to site the cable modem there and either run a network cable to your pc or get a pci wireless card for your pc.
Thnaks for the advice,

So I purchase one of the above routers (is this one too good for my needs or are the cheaper ones fine).

I get a PCMCIA card for the Win 98 Laptop and either run a cable (Ethernet??) to the PC or buy a PCI Wireless card (is this one OK). i presume there are no PCMCIA slots on a dektop, but any USb driven external Wirless cards any good.

Michael

p.S all the computers are within 8-10 metres of the small hallway bur three different rooms.
Old 06-09-2005, 17:49   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

I cannot vouch for the ebuyer brand but I understand one of the members here has a dsl modem from them and its fine, I use Linksys myself but only because it was the cheapest one at the time.

Yes use either a pcmcia wires or wireless or infact a usb key type all will do the same job though the pcmcia ones are less suseptable to getting knocked out. If all computers are close then you'll be fine they have depending on your location a range up to 200m

Still it does not harm to get it in before hand because you can get your network set up and tested.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36   #6
subaculture
Inactive

Quote:
I cannot vouch for the ebuyer brand but I understand one of the members here has a dsl modem from them and its fine, I use Linksys myself but only because it was the cheapest one at the time.

Yes use either a pcmcia wires or wireless or infact a usb key type all will do the same job though the pcmcia ones are less suseptable to getting knocked out. If all computers are close then you'll be fine they have depending on your location a range up to 200m

Still it does not harm to get it in before hand because you can get your network set up and tested.
Thanks for the help. I have purchased the router (Here is the site: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=201576
) but NTL have decided they cant install in our street. I am getting Tiscali in but the BT line is in one of the laptop guys rooms.

Therefore, he will use a patch cable to connect directly to the router and I will use a PCi card on my Dell PC. I hope to report on whether the connection is good next week.

Mike
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42   #7
handyman
Permanently Banned

Your tiscali connection appears to use a sagem usb modem that will not work with a normal router. Have you purchased a router/dsl modem combination?
Old 08-09-2005, 14:31   #8
subaculture
Inactive

Quote:
Your tiscali connection appears to use a sagem usb modem that will not work with a normal router. Have you purchased a router/dsl modem combination?
Sorry, yes. Wrong URL. Its a Combo. They are throwing in a free USB Wireless Pen as well.

Mike