Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2018, 21:47   #2281
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Another music channel goes to the dogs with VH-1 becoming a lifestyle channel. I really liked this music channel when we first got it on cable - I think it is a real pity that its programming changed, and this is the last straw. I won't be watching VH-1 ever again now.

Just as well we have YouTube.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...style-channel/
Cripes, I actually agree with you...

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
It's the right decision.

The music video channel genre has been in decline for a very long time and MTV has plenty of others.

VH1 UK will now align with the US channel and allow for greater content sharing and brand development.

They need to get VH1 UK a presence on social media by the time it re-launches.
When people talk about 'brands' I just switch off.....
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2018, 23:13   #2282
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They've closed their HD channel on SKY. The standard definition version of the channel is still up and running. Part of a cost cutting exercise to keep the channel going ever since Frank Warren took his stable of fighters over to BT Sport.
I thought that Frank Warren set up and owned Box Nation?? Did anything ever happen with regards to the rumour that BT would eventually buy Box Nation after their deal to simulcast some fights on BT Sport?
Old 26-09-2018, 23:40   #2283
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I appreciate that everyone’s different but how long would it take to watch 400 hours of recordings? Answer 7 weeks if you watch 8 hours a day and that’s without recording any more.
I suggest that 1TB is more than enough for timeslip watching. Anything more, I would suggest, is archiving material.
Totally agree, people need to get out more!
Old 27-09-2018, 00:14   #2284
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I thought that Frank Warren set up and owned Box Nation?? Did anything ever happen with regards to the rumour that BT would eventually buy Box Nation after their deal to simulcast some fights on BT Sport?
He founded it.
Now majority-owned by the estate of Bill Ives of Rainham Steel fame. Frank Warren and George Warren remain as directors.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I appreciate that everyone’s different but how long would it take to watch 400 hours of recordings? Answer 7 weeks if you watch 8 hours a day and that’s without recording any more.
I suggest that 1TB is more than enough for timeslip watching. Anything more, I would suggest, is archiving material.
Agreed.
Unless I'm missing something, anything close to 1TB of recordings sounds like recording hoarding to me.
Old 27-09-2018, 00:30   #2285
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Those all launched whilst there were still SD only V boxes on the network, so both versions were needed.

Those boxes are all either swapped or decommissioned now, and the remaining boxes with Scart outputs can downscale HD. So there is no need to have both an SD and HD version of Gold.

There are quite a few other HD only channels on Virgin Media now.
Yet Virgin has not drop the SD version of the other UKTV Channels - W, Dave, Eden and Good Food.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 27-09-2018, 00:33   #2286
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Yet Virgin has not drop the SD version of the other UKTV Channels - W, Dave, Eden and Good Food.
Because those already existed before the SD only boxes were withdrawn and before the new UKTV deal.

Also Gold HD has only existed on Virgin Media after the official withdrawal of the SD only boxes, and is also in the same TV pack as the HD version. Dave SD is not current in the same TV pack as Dave HD, which is why those two are still around.

But eventually I don't see any technical reason why most SD channels aren't swapped out for the HD versions. The only reason SD would remain is either because there isn't an HD regional version (BBC, ITV etc), or because the content agreement requires it to be there.

Last edited by BenMcr; 27-09-2018 at 00:40.
Old 27-09-2018, 05:03   #2287
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

As i'm having to be careful with recording space, i'm going to start recording things from GOLD +1 as that's still SD. Even if SD only boxes were still around, the channel would still be available, albeit an hour later

Do we now have an odd situation where a pay channel like GOLD is in a lower pack than a channel like Dave that's available FTA?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-09-2018 at 05:08.
Old 27-09-2018, 08:39   #2288
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do we now have an odd situation where a pay channel like GOLD is in a lower pack than a channel like Dave that's available FTA?
Not really.

Dave HD and Gold HD are both is Mix and above.

Dave SD is in Player as that then aligns to it's FTA availability.
Old 27-09-2018, 09:19   #2289
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Also with the V6, there is the potential to double or treble storage by having 2 or 3 boxes.

The functionality of being able to watch recordings across boxes is brilliant.

Although I do agree with the hoarding of materials stated in earlier posts, the V6 isn't for really for archiving programmes, but being able to watch more,at your convenience.

I watch the recordings and then delete them.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 27-09-2018 at 11:07.
Old 27-09-2018, 09:41   #2290
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Also with the V6, there is the potential to double or treble storage by having 2 or 3 boxes.

The functionality of being able to watch recorded across boxes is brilliant.

Although I do agree with the hoarding of materials stated in earlier posts, the V6 isn't for really for archiving programmes, but being able to watch more,at your convenience.

I watch the recordings and then delete them.

As do I! That is not 'hoarding'.
Old 27-09-2018, 10:34   #2291
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
[/B]
As do I! That is not 'hoarding'.
True, that is not hoarding OB

You have 2 x V6 and DVD recorder...what do you watch? How do you have time to watch it all? lol

I'm up to 75% on one box due to missus recording all of her rubbish haha

I haven't tried recording any UHD yet, so not able to comment on the space it takes.

Is there any news of other programmes coming to the UHD channel?
Old 27-09-2018, 10:53   #2292
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
The functionality of being able to watch recorded across boxes is brilliant.
I have to agree. With two V6 boxes I have 2tb of space and 12 tuners.
Old 27-09-2018, 12:31   #2293
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I have to agree. With two V6 boxes I have 2tb of space and 12 tuners.
Correct, however you are also paying for the extra box which with a 2Tb (or larger) disk in 1 box you wouldn't have to - 6 tuners is usually more than enough even for me.

I wonder if Virgin dropped the idea of a 2Tb box when they realised people were prepared to pay the extra for a 2nd box - rather cunning really.

As for the idea that filling 2 boxes is hoarding - I am about to go away for 8 days, my required recordings for that period would more than fill 1 empty V6 box - hoarding? Not at all, just recording things I would otherwise miss.
Old 27-09-2018, 12:54   #2294
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Correct, however you are also paying for the extra box which with a 2Tb (or larger) disk in 1 box you wouldn't have to - 6 tuners is usually more than enough even for me.

I wonder if Virgin dropped the idea of a 2Tb box when they realised people were prepared to pay the extra for a 2nd box - rather cunning really.

As for the idea that filling 2 boxes is hoarding - I am about to go away for 8 days, my required recordings for that period would more than fill 1 empty V6 box - hoarding? Not at all, just recording things I would otherwise miss.
Can I believe that last statement? You’re going to record 50 hours of programming each day of eight?
When are you going to find time to watch those 400 hours?
Old 27-09-2018, 13:13   #2295
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
True, but I still don't understand why the V6, with its ability to provide programmes in UHD, was only provided with a 1TB hard drive.
Because you can't please everyone and have to come to some sort of middle ground. 1TB will be enough for the vast majority of customers. Anything more just costs more money. I watch a lot of TV and record everything in HD and it's enough for me. The PS4 is the same, when the PS4 pro was released it had 1TB and some games with the updates come close to 100gb. I believe once 4k starts taking off more, if cloud storage isn't available, then VM will announce a V6 box with 2TB of storage.
Closed Thread