Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 13:53   #8431
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Not Quite if they do not remove the threat, which is disproportionate & could well have been served on other people/organizations far more able of resisting BT & informing the Public, then they will know who I am & why I assert my Claim!
Oh sorry, I was a bit ambiguous.

Let me clarify, these are my words to BT; I am Alexander Hanff.
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2008, 14:02   #8432
ilago
Inactive

ilago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
I don't think much of the comment at the end of the article

Personally, I don't feel this is a major violation of customer's privacy data. Customers have agreed to view ads in content pages. How these ads are customised shouldn't get them worked up too much.

Posted on BadPhorm http://www.heise-online.co.uk/securi...--/news/110875

There are links on the page to two reports from the Government Committee A Surveilllance Society

It's worth ploughing through the reports to see what was said aaabout data retention and the remarks about the commercial data miners.

More importantly, both Reports have rather tidy lists of the MPs that were part of the enquiry. They should perhaps, all be written to.

Is anyone able to think about doing this. These Committee members are a lot more up to date on the issues than most.
Old 09-06-2008, 14:18   #8433
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

from your ilago linked url

simon
" The committee commends the Information Commissioner for his work on Privacy Impact Assessments, but expresses concerns that they could in practice end up as mere bureaucratic exercises."
Old 09-06-2008, 15:51   #8434
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

"Watchdog rules out punishment over Phorm trials "

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9431420,00.htm

Old 09-06-2008, 15:55   #8435
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Well what can one say about that? I think Richard Thomas should be fired is the short answer.

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-06-2008, 15:57   #8436
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

How can the police say they have not received any complaints? As far as I know every attempt at reporting this has been met with a refusal to issue a crime reference number?
Old 09-06-2008, 16:01   #8437
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police Service, which leads on e-crime in the UK, told ZDNet.co.uk on Friday that it had not received any formal allegations regarding the trials.

"The Metropolitan Police's Computer Crime Unit is aware of the situation regarding Phorm and is monitoring the situation," stated a spokesperson for the police force. "We are not investigating any formal allegation in relation to Phorm."
We are told by HMG that Police are responsible for investigations of RIPA violations though. Does this mean a formal complaint is needed?

ICO investigates DPA, not RIPA?

EDIT : @tarka - RIPA complaint specific to the leaked document?
Old 09-06-2008, 16:01   #8438
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Alex, did you really say
Quote:
I'd be nicked before I could even sneeze.
lol

And why are the Police required to have someone formally make an allegation? Can't they think for themselves and say "hmmm, here's something dodgy looking, perhaps I'll investigate a little".

They seem to be taking the stance that it's a political issue rather than what it actually is, a breach of uk criminal law. I'm pretty disgusted at Police attitudes over this and clearly shows how much of a puppet organisation they have become.
Old 09-06-2008, 16:02   #8439
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
"Watchdog rules out punishment over Phorm trials "

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9431420,00.htm

I can't believe I'm reading that, despite all the evidence they do nothing, because Phorm and BT have told them it's OK.

And as Tarka has already stated every attempt to report this crime has been ignored.

Look like the ICO are in Phorm and BT's pocket.
Old 09-06-2008, 16:10   #8440
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

some thing stinks about it all who is really behind it all who?
Old 09-06-2008, 16:20   #8441
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

It is the inability of the IC to think for himself and not ask for documentary evidence that what BT are saying is actually true that is really disappointing.
It really wouldn't take much to convince him that the sky is green.

"Hey, Richard, look at the sky. Isn't it a lovely emerald green?"
"Why, yes it is"
Old 09-06-2008, 16:20   #8442
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

What is becoming increasingly clear is that the authorities have an ulterior motive in wanting the Phorm system to go ahead. If there are commercial systems in place which completely track every move a person makes on the internet there is little argument left to prevent the same thing being done by authorities.

George Orwell may have got the year wrong, but in every other respect his predictions are coming true.

A thought which might make politicians start to take notice: How about we start a new political party with the aim of having a candidate standing in every constituency at the next general election?
Old 09-06-2008, 16:22   #8443
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilago View Post
I don't think much of the comment at the end of the article

Personally, I don't feel this is a major violation of customer's privacy data. Customers have agreed to view ads in content pages. How these ads are customised shouldn't get them worked up too much.
This guy's opinion is worthless from a British point of view. Badri is Indian and Indians probably have a different cultural perspective of privacy (large families with typically less personal privacy). British culture is traditionally a lot more reserved with greater boundaries of people encroaching on our personal space.

Of course British society has undergone a cultural renaissance over the past few years. Voyeuristic reality TV shows everywhere, ASBO yobs showing their drunken @ss in town centres, imported USofA trashy business practices (Hi Kent), and loads more cr@ppy stuff etc etc.

Phorm/*Privacy/K~nt Ertugrul and his sycophants just see Britain as a place to take one huge great dump (sugar coat and polish his turds) then expect us to swallow it down and ask for more. [[ And if you want to see what effect it has take a look at Emma, she's been using it for face cream! ]]
Old 09-06-2008, 16:24   #8444
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Well it's quite clear from this latest statement that the ICO isn't there to protect the public at all, and now they've said that despite the documentary evidence they'll do nothing, I think it's time I got back in touch with Viviane Reding, EU commissioner for information society and media and inform her that the UK's body to protect the public are totally ignoring the issue, in fact It sounds very much like Phorm and BT are calling the shots there.
Old 09-06-2008, 16:34   #8445
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

hope the eu take over and go about picking it apart.
Closed Thread