Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Boxnation, Why not a Wrestling Channel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Boxnation, Why not a Wrestling Channel

Old 27-11-2011, 22:57   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Boxnation, Why not a Wrestling Channel

Now we have a boxing channel available on the system, why doesn't VM go for a British Wrestling channel.

We have all this 'fixed' American stuff, l am certain around the British Isle's we must have British Wrestling.

If that came in, it would be great, especially from the World of Sport days.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2011, 08:05   #2
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society
Re: Boxnation, Why not a Wrestling Channel

There was a wrestling channel showing World of sport matches a few years ago but it was on sky only, I know that WWE are launching a channel in america next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Network
Kingofthedead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 08:34   #3
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Now we have a boxing channel available on the system, why doesn't VM go for a British Wrestling channel.

We have all this 'fixed' American stuff, l am certain around the British Isle's we must have British Wrestling.

If that came in, it would be great, especially from the World of Sport days.
*Cracks knuckles*

Right, let me get my teeth in to this one.

There used to be a channel called TWC - The Wrestling Channel. It didn't work out as there simply wasn't enough money in it. It primarily featured LDN wrestling, run by a friend of mine called Sanjay Bagga and they do shows around the London and Essex areas. Sanjay is considered by many to be the most successful UK promoter in the south of the country. If he wasn't able to put on a sustainable product then I can't think of many others that could.

The problem with British-based wrestling is there's a LOT of crap out there. Legendary promoter Jim Cornette once said "There's only 2 types of wrestling, good wrestling and bad wrestling".

Right now all you need to run a show is to hire a ring (usually around £150) and possibly about £50 to pay your 'talent'. many noobs will be willing to work for free just to be on a show. A lot of venues are Social Clubs and the like which won't ask to see insurance - lucky, because liability cover for the workers and audience is usually £1000+. Usually they don't charge to hire the hall, they just make money from the bar. As a result any Tom, Dick and Harry can put on a 'wrestling' show and it leads to what is often an embarrassing show which exposes so many of the secrets of wrestling. Yes we know you're aware it's not real but we want to put on a performance which is so good you're happy to suspend your disbelief for the duration of the event. With all the rubbish out there, it's very frustrating.

There are a handful of top quality promoters in the UK who ensure their product is the best - Brian Dixon, Alan Ravenhill to name just 2. But TV is too much of a risk for it to be sustainable. The target audience is kids, and they just want to see huge muscular blokes who are well over and have a great hook/gimmick. The problem is as soon as any UK workers get like that, they get head-hunted by WWE or TNA.

Arthur, there is a thriving British wrestling scene (check the second link in my sig). I used to wrestle and am now a referee and have been for 5 years. All pro wrestling is 'fixed' as you call it. There is no real distinction between what you call 'American' wrestling and the old World of Sport product. The results are pre-determined and the moves are 'worked'. the only real difference is the presentation. The American stuff (and about 99% of what you see anywhere in the UK right now) is just more flashy and 'show'. The old WoS rules system (8x3 minute rounds etc) simply would not work right now, the market has moved on.

I've reffed a few WoS-rules matches which were featured as one-offs on shows and they're an interesting novelty but the vast majority of the target audience have never heard of it and have no long-term interest in it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:22   #4
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

cheers Russ for that, British wrestling used to be on a Saturday afternoon, but to me the sad part of American crap is this raza ma tazz that goes with it and this to me ruins the whole point of watching it.

I remember the days of Big Daddy, Fal Finley and Kendo Nackersacky. good pros, but you don't have that anymore.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:30   #5
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

I think Sky would launch a wrestling channel, they already own the UK rights to WWE events (if they would be bothered)
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:34   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
cheers Russ for that, British wrestling used to be on a Saturday afternoon, but to me the sad part of American crap is this raza ma tazz that goes with it and this to me ruins the whole point of watching it.

I remember the days of Big Daddy, Fal Finley and Kendo Nackersacky. good pros, but you don't have that anymore.
Fit Finley, until recently, worked for WWE and is expected to return in the near future.

The 'American' style is pretty much standard all over the UK now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry
I think Sky would launch a wrestling channel, they already own the UK rights to WWE events (if they would be bothered)
They did, it was called The Wrestling Channel.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-11-2011, 12:35   #7
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Yes i agree a Wrestling channel,if only we could bring back Giant Haystacks,Big Daddy,Jim Breaks,Kendo nagasaki,and commentator Kent Walton i might subscribe.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:36   #8
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Yes i agree a Wrestling channel,if only we could bring back Giant Haystacks,Big Daddy,Jim Breaks,Kendo nagasaki,and commentator Kent Walton i might subscribe.
They would do well, 3 are dead to my knowledge.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:38   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes l remember watching these grand old names of wrestling when l was much younger with my dad and it was great watching them on a saturday on ITV.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:41   #10
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthedead4 View Post
They would do well, 3 are dead to my knowledge.
Yes you are right sadly 3 i think re no longer here, jim breaks and kendo nagasaki are still with us.

I liked the uk wrestling much less razz matazz bull then the us stuff.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:44   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes you are right sadly 3 i think re no longer here, jim breaks and kendo nagasaki are still with us.

I liked the uk wrestling much less razz matazz bull then the us stuff.
The problem is there's no market for the UK style. Again, the target audience is kids and WWE/TNA is all they know.

If they relaunched The Wrestling Channel and featured WoS rules matches there would be very little interest in it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 28-11-2011, 12:44   #12
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l remember watching these grand old names of wrestling when l was much younger with my dad and it was great watching them on a saturday on ITV.
Yes your right denphone,saturday afternoon with Kent Walton commentating,and lots of ladies in the front rows clutching their handbags,whilst shouting loudly and jumping up and even sometimes landing a handbagging to Giant Haystacks or Big Daddy ,classic stuff.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:45   #13
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

I wonder if seen as sky have dropped PPV Boxing, if WWE might do the same thing?
Old 28-11-2011, 12:47   #14
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The problem is there's no market for the UK style. Again, the target audience is kids and WWE/TNA is all they know.

If they relaunched The Wrestling Channel and featured WoS rules matches there would be very little interest in it.
Not so sure Russ the baby boomber generation is a large target audience you know,when i get to retire the generations will be tipped towards us.

But Yeah you are right todays kids like the amercan stuff with added bull.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:48   #15
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Not so sure the baby boomber generation is a large target audience you know,when i get to retire the generation will be tipped towards us.
Every show I've ever worked at, the vast majority of the audience has been kids.

Vote #AnyoneButTory