Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 14:07   #3301
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So much for ITV's much heralded ITV Encore channel launch predicting it would rival Sky Atlantic.
And that sir is a encore.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2017, 14:09   #3302
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So much for ITV's much heralded ITV Encore channel launch predicting it would rival Sky Atlantic.
Surprised theyre giving it to VM then they are also considering apparently removing all their channels from VM!
Old 10-11-2017, 14:21   #3303
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Surprised theyre giving it to VM then they are also considering apparently removing all their channels from VM!
Perhaps its a sure sign that everything is fine and dandy now.
Old 10-11-2017, 14:25   #3304
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Even you have to admit though Den this is were Old Boy has it right , each broadcaster has far to many channels for the content they make available.

This is were I agree and I've said it before in my opinion each broadcaster will dwindle these down in favour of making more available On Demand. What I disagree with is his prediction of the complete death of linear.
Old 10-11-2017, 14:38   #3305
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Even you have to admit though Den this is were Old Boy has it right , each broadcaster has far to many channels for the content they make available.

This is were I agree and I've said it before in my opinion each broadcaster will dwindle these down in favour of making more available On Demand. What I disagree with is his prediction of the complete death of linear.
There will be a slight pruning of channels perhaps but as for the death of Linear TV well lets just say l disagree with him.
Old 10-11-2017, 18:18   #3306
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Good news for TV customers - ITV Encore is finally launching on Virgin TV.
The bad news is that the ITV Encore channel is closing down.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/itv-clos...ts-1202205559/
Well, this is the way of the future, as I have been saying for a while now. Expect other channels to go down the box set only route before much longer.

Good news that at last VM will be able to show the small number of exclusives to that channel soon.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Quote:
There will be a slight pruning of channels perhaps but as for the death of Linear TV well lets just say l disagree with him.
In the medium term, we agree at last, but when you look at a couple of decades ahead, it will be a totally different landscape. Frankly, I don't see how the conventional broadcast channels can possibly survive over time when there is such a better alternative available.
Old 10-11-2017, 18:23   #3307
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
In the medium term, we agree at last, but when you look at a couple of decades ahead, it will be a totally different landscape. Frankly, I don't see how the conventional broadcast channels can possibly survive over time when there is such a better alternative available.
Better alternative no l don't think so OB and the majority l have no doubt would disagree with your hyperbolized statement as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 18:46   #3308
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Good news for TV customers - ITV Encore is finally launching on Virgin TV.
The bad news is that the ITV Encore channel is closing down.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/itv-clos...ts-1202205559/
I predicted that it would either close or go FTA and join VM when the contract with Sky expired and their funding ceased.

Never considered this third option! At least VM customers will now be able to access it's programming and this is good for channel parity between Sky and VM.
Old 10-11-2017, 18:58   #3309
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Having re-read the article, I may have been too quick off the mark to suggest the box sets are launching on Virgin - the wording suggests it will merely be offered to them. A subtle but significant difference, especially given the current situation with the main ITV channel.
Old 10-11-2017, 19:00   #3310
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

This household has had ITV Encore pretty much since its inception via Now TV and I can honestly say it has never been used once.
Why would ITV make the channels content of repeats available unless its behind a paywall when they are charging for premium access to their hub?
My crystal ball says ITV Encore on demand content will not be free!
Old 10-11-2017, 19:03   #3311
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

TV3 Ireland could be rebranded as Virgin Media TV:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...n-media-brand/
Old 10-11-2017, 19:11   #3312
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Having re-read the article, I may have been too quick off the mark to suggest the box sets are launching on Virgin - the wording suggests it will merely be offered to them. A subtle but significant difference, especially given the current situation with the main ITV channel.
ITV are deciding nothing on broadcast fees until the new chief executive ex-EasyJet and the Guardian Media Group joins in January so fingers crossed it will come!
Old 10-11-2017, 19:59   #3313
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Better alternative no l don't think so OB and the majority l have no doubt would disagree with your hyperbolized statement as well.
Why is that, Den? Please explain.

With broadcast channels, you have so many disadvantages.

1. You can only watch what is scheduled.
2. The programme you want to see can only be seen at the times the schedulers say you can.
3. On most of the channels, you are subject to countless commercial breaks, which extend the length of programmes by about 15 minutes per hour.
4. Programmes are easily missed because they are hidden amongst zillions of channels.
5. The only way to avoid some of these problems is to record, but you have to find the programmes first, and then you constantly worry about filling up your hard drive.

Whereas with streaming, all the programmes are available by selection, they are more easily identified from the user friendly UI, you don't need to record or be bothered by commercial breaks. What is more, you can watch your programmes when you like and binge watch on whole series at a time if you want to. Additionally, streaming services are far better value for money and have more choice available.

These are the first things that come to mind immediately.

So please tell me why you think streaming is not a better alternative. You have the right to your own point of view of course, I accept that, but I am genuinely curious why you should disagree with that statement.

No one liners - just give us your reasons so we can understand.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I predicted that it would either close or go FTA and join VM when the contract with Sky expired and their funding ceased.

Never considered this third option! At least VM customers will now be able to access it's programming and this is good for channel parity between Sky and VM.
Yes, most of us agreed that ITV Encore would come to VM after the exclusivity period. I certainly did not think they would go to box sets only at this stage - I thought this would be likely about a decade down the line.

Maybe things are happening quicker than I have predicted. Hold on to your hat, Den!

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Quote:
The sticking point may be over price. Most of the ITV Encore content is already available on demand via ITV Collections. Virgin won't want to pay much for three or four series that have been exclusive to that channel.
Old 10-11-2017, 20:51   #3314
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Den has gone into hibernation, OB..............
Old 10-11-2017, 21:38   #3315
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Coming soon to VM: another inflation busting price rise. Enjoy
Closed Thread