Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Assigning Static IP addresses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Assigning Static IP addresses

Old 27-10-2006, 09:52   #1
bigrich1976
Inactive

Services: 10mb NTL Broadband
bigrich1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigrich1976
Assigning Static IP addresses

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me, i have four pc's on a wireless networks. secuirty is provided by mac address filtering and i want to assign static ip's to each pc. i have rules set up for port forwarding designated to specific ip addresses but i keep getting different ip addresses.

am i right in thinking to do this i would need to disable DHCP in the router config page. and then on each pc right click the network card i use and specify the IP address i want along with subnet mask and default gateway being the router ip address?

Cheers.
Rich
bigrich1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2006, 09:58   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Assigning Static IP addresses

You don't have to disable the DHCP server at all (its useful for roaming PCs - like your friends laptops etc) - just make the range higher, but you're right about the rest.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 09:59   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

That would be one way of doing it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 10:12   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Don't forget, if you're using a static IP address you need to specify the DNS servers on each client.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 17:10   #5
ecksmen
Inactive

ecksmen is on a distinguished roadecksmen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
You don't have to disable the DHCP server at all (its useful for roaming PCs - like your friends laptops etc) - just make the range higher, but you're right about the rest.
On the otherhand, wouldn't it serve as an extra step if it's disabled in locking down the network?
ecksmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 17:33   #6
Bula Bula
cf.member

Bula Bula has a spectacular aura about themBula Bula has a spectacular aura about themBula Bula has a spectacular aura about themBula Bula has a spectacular aura about them

you should be able assign permanent ip addresses via the router, pairing mac addresses with permanent addresses. What 's the router?
Bula Bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 20:24   #7
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

If you mean static DHCP yes he could do that, but it would be easier just to set it in the network card properties..
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 20:54   #8
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Don't forget, if you're using a static IP address you need to specify the DNS servers on each client.
I just tell my PC's the router is the DNS server. Works fine for me
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 21:06   #9
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksmen View Post
On the otherhand, wouldn't it serve as an extra step if it's disabled in locking down the network?
No not really, its an extra precaution, but I imagine if they've managed to break your encryption, they'll be clever enough to try IPs until it works if they're really that desperate to get in.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 22:22   #10
bigrich1976
Inactive

Services: 10mb NTL Broadband
bigrich1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigrich1976

Hi all,

All working ok, I have left DHCP enabled and set the dns as the router ip address and it seems to work ok.

security is provided by mac address list in my linksys router, is that ok? would it be easy to break. to be fair i live in a sleepy village so not overly worried abt security and neither are my neighbours judging by the amount of unsecured networks around
bigrich1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 22:29   #11
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

MAC address filtering is pretty easy to break if you want to.
I would recommend you use WPA encyption if the router/cards support it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:44   #12
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich1976 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me, i have four pc's on a wireless networks. secuirty is provided by mac address filtering and i want to assign static ip's to each pc. i have rules set up for port forwarding designated to specific ip addresses but i keep getting different ip addresses.

am i right in thinking to do this i would need to disable DHCP in the router config page. and then on each pc right click the network card i use and specify the IP address i want along with subnet mask and default gateway being the router ip address?

Cheers.
Rich
In answer to the question of how to create a static ip (because I couldnt see anyone answer this):

On each pc requiring a static address:

start > control panel > network connections > right click the connection the pc uses, select properties > General tab > theres an adapter icon with a configure button (click it) > then advanced tab of new properties page and look down the list of properties for one like "Network Address" (click on it and fill in the dotted quad i.e 10.0.0.1 in the value box)

This is useful when hosting a particular service from a particular machine (like a http server) so you do not have to expose all the pcs on your network to port 80 or w/e

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
MAC address filtering is pretty easy to break if you want to.
I would recommend you use WPA encyption if the router/cards support it.
MAC Address filtering easy to break - any links to this? or proof of concept on methodology? I think your talking about MAC address spoofing (not hard) but the main part is getting the correct MAC to begin with. If your behind a Hardware firewall you should not be able to do this so please tell.

and WPA is for Wireless data encryption? not quite the same as the question asked and not to be confused as anything to do with static ip adressing.

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich1976 View Post
Hi all,

All working ok, I have left DHCP enabled and set the dns as the router ip address and it seems to work ok.

security is provided by mac address list in my linksys router, is that ok? would it be easy to break. to be fair i live in a sleepy village so not overly worried abt security and neither are my neighbours judging by the amount of unsecured networks around
DHCP should be on and thats what takes care of the handing out of IPS to each connected machine BUT DNS should be the IP of your ISP DNS server (assuming you dont have a dns server set up in your LAN^^)
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39   #13
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luappy13 View Post
MAC Address filtering easy to break - any links to this? or proof of concept on methodology? I think your talking about MAC address spoofing (not hard) but the main part is getting the correct MAC to begin with. If your behind a Hardware firewall you should not be able to do this so please tell.
You can obtain MAC addresses from clients connecting to wireless access points using Kismet/KisMAC or Netstumbler.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:09   #14
Luappy13
Inactive

Luappy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh okay - heard of aircrack and a few others but didnt think they would sniff mac of the air. interesting... Wireless adapter and a download or 2 coming up
Luappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:25   #15
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Well, aircrack is really for cracking encryption - airodump is useful for grabbing traffic, and will allow you to capture MAC addresses like Kismet does (look under the station field for MAC addresses of clients, whereas the BSSID gives the MAC address of an access point).

Just out of interest, are you doing this on a Windows box, or under *nix?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote