Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 26-03-2013, 14:49   #6331
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Stories like this are inspirational, through sheer hard work and determination, it's the same with that little girl who got shot in that shop and was told she might not walk again, it was all over the news yesterday, amazing to see that smiley girl so determined.

The ones I hate and have no time for (sorry Russ) are the God ones, the ones that says they are cured because of their beliefs. - Yeah right.......
Old 26-03-2013, 14:49   #6332
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Don't talk to me about lists, she is the Listmeister!
Best of luck with this!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:59   #6333
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Stories like this are inspirational, through sheer hard work and determination, it's the same with that little girl who got shot in that shop and was told she might not walk again, it was all over the news yesterday, amazing to see that smiley girl so determined.
The 'yoga' programme he's on was conceived by a former pro wrestler who was tired of seeing his alumni in wheelchairs, on crutches etc with awful injuries in the ring. I'm starting the programme now. I don't need to lose any more weight as my running has taken care of it but I have some niggling injuries I want to take care of.

Quote:
The ones I hate and have no time for (sorry Russ) are the God ones, the ones that says they are cured because of their beliefs. - Yeah right.......
No need to apologies, it's all about what works for the individual.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:26   #6334
tizmeinnit

Quote:

with all due respect a positive outlook can be the best cure and if that positive outlook is a faith in a higher being why should it not work?

Surely you have read the power of placebo? Nurofen works better in those who believe it is a better product than generic ibuprofen both the same drug identical. There are lots of tests that prove positive thought as a cure for some ailments

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:
A recently published study declared that 97% of 783 GPs admitted that they had recommended a sugar pill or a treatment with no established efficacy. This is not a scandal because a placebo is an effective, proven intervention that stimulates our bodies' own capacity to heal itself.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...l-intervention
Old 26-03-2013, 16:56   #6335
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Brilliant

My mother in law arrived safely in the UK - we all went out (with my dad too) last night for dinner, and decided that every time she visits she brings the snow
Hope you all have a good time.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 17:41   #6336
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
with all due respect a positive outlook can be the best cure and if that positive outlook is a faith in a higher being why should it not work?

Surely you have read the power of placebo? Nurofen works better in those who believe it is a better product than generic ibuprofen both the same drug identical. There are lots of tests that prove positive thought as a cure for some ailments

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...l-intervention
Yeah you're right, there's no bigger placebo than God (not mocking). But I was on about those that use God or faith as for the reason they are cured. The power of the mind has nothing to do with God or any kind of intervention apart from as you say it can give you a reason to be positive.
Old 26-03-2013, 19:03   #6337
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
erm ok.
Her sister works for Ford, so we get a hefty discount...

(I'm after a Mustang)
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 20:09   #6338
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Yeah you're right, there's no bigger placebo than God (not mocking). But I was on about those that use God or faith as for the reason they are cured. The power of the mind has nothing to do with God or any kind of intervention apart from as you say it can give you a reason to be positive.
The intervention of God certainly can work miracles but that's not a discussion for this thread.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 22:17   #6339
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Anyway to cheer myself up I've ordered tickets to go see (the musical) war of the worlds at the cinema with my dad
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 11:54   #6340
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Blind - Pah, doesn't stop me taking my PS3 apart in preparation to attempt to install a new laser tomorrow

I only had a little help from the Mother In Law
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130327_101424.jpg (306.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 27-03-2013, 12:09   #6341
tizmeinnit

ESA Work group here I come
Old 27-03-2013, 12:11   #6342
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I'm sure I'll be heading that way soon too
Old 27-03-2013, 13:25   #6343
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
ESA Work group here I come
was that was you were hoping for?
Old 27-03-2013, 13:33   #6344
tizmeinnit

no but its better than JSA. Least on the work group I can see what courses they offer there might be something I could do that could get me a decent job. The problem as I see it is its contribution based so only lasts a year then I dunno what they do so I may have to appeal anyway
Old 27-03-2013, 13:37   #6345
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
no but its better than JSA. Least on the work group I can see what courses they offer there might be something I could do that could get me a decent job. The problem as I see it is its contribution based so only lasts a year then I dunno what they do so I may have to appeal anyway
You'll then should be put in the income based group after than first year, so shouldn't affect you too much as you don't have any dependents. I think that's how it works.

This is the crux, if you have an illness or disability that will not get any better and you have a partner who is in employment (on min wage or above), if you are placed in the WRG then after the one year all payments will cease as it becomes means tested (from contribution based to income related). How are you supposed to live being supported on 1 min wage income for a couple. Beats me, this is why the support group is the only option for a lot of people as as long as you qualify it stays constant.