Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I think I may need a VPN router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

I think I may need a VPN router

Old 09-03-2020, 21:40   #1
SONY007
cf.member

SONY007 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I may need a VPN router

Hi all, I just need a bit of advice on what to do and maybe what to get. I would like to consider getting a new router to either replace my current Virgin Hub 3 or work in conjunction with it so I'm receiving the same type of speed that allows me to have my NAS running Plex as well as a smart tv and satellite receiver box. But the main thing that I think the router would need to have is to be able to have a VPN running so Virgin sHub 3 doesn't keep temporarily blocking access to IPTV.

I have never really ventured into VPN Router/Modems as they seemed like a lot of technical nohow was necessary. But reading reviews and doing a few searches now that i've been encountering blank screens I see some devices claim to be easy to setup.

I done a few google searches to see what could be a good device to go for and the ASUS RT-AC88U appears to be have good feedback.

Does anyone know if setting up a VPN on this device is fairly routine or will I need some IT prowess?

I understand that I would still need to have use of my Virgin Hub 3 as the modem so are there decent VPN router/modem that will perform exceptionally that could replace the sHub completely or is that not really necessary? I was just thinking about clutter that's all.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
SONY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2020, 21:56   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: I think I may need a VPN router

The ASUS RT-AC88U is a good solid router. VPN is pretty easy to set up. Here's a link for how to do it with express VPN but others will be pretty much the same.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/v...-with-openvpn/

You cannot replace the HH3 with a third party router/modem combo. Just stick it in modem mode.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 22:14   #3
SONY007
cf.member

Thank you for you reply pip08456, very much appreciated.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONY007 View Post
I understand that I would still need to have use of my Virgin Hub 3 as the modem so are there decent VPN router/modem that will perform exceptionally that could replace the sHub completely or is that not really necessary?
You cannot replace the shub. VM requires you to use their own modem to access their network so whether you use the shub in router mode or modem mode + third party router the shub is staying. The best thing anyone can do regardless of your vpn requirements is to put the shub in modem mode and use a good third party router.
Asus routers are very good and I have got the AC68u which can also run a vpn. The want to lan throughput on the ac68u is 750mbits and on the 88u is 800mbits so in terms of futureproofing and the tiers VM is going to provide there isn't anything in it. The big difference is in the price, the 68u is £118 and the 88u is £200 so I would take a good look at the other features and see if you would really benefit from the extra £££.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 13:42   #5
SONY007
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You cannot replace the shub. VM requires you to use their own modem to access their network so whether you use the shub in router mode or modem mode + third party router the shub is staying. The best thing anyone can do regardless of your vpn requirements is to put the shub in modem mode and use a good third party router.
Asus routers are very good and I have got the AC68u which can also run a vpn. The want to lan throughput on the ac68u is 750mbits and on the 88u is 800mbits so in terms of futureproofing and the tiers VM is going to provide there isn't anything in it. The big difference is in the price, the 68u is £118 and the 88u is £200 so I would take a good look at the other features and see if you would really benefit from the extra £££.

Hey thanks for that General Maximus, I had not looked or saw any info on the 68u so will do that now as see at what price I can get either model for on eBay or Amazon and decide from there. Thanks again

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

I've found an ASUS RT-AC88U selling on eBay for £119.99 which is being sold from China, whereas the same model on eBay being sold from the UK are being sold for around £189 - £250 and more. Would the products be of the same specification and build quality or would it be advisable to purchase from the UK?
Old 10-03-2020, 13:58   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Both of these are £119.99 AC68U

CCL online
https://www.cclonline.com/product/12...outer/NET1321/

Scan Computers

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...n-1x-usb-20-30
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 17:58   #7
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

On Amazon at the moment, you can get a ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 for £135.99. I would have thought that was better value than an AC68U, which is quite old hat now. Having said that, I am by no means an expert and am more than willing to be corrected on that!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 22:03   #8
SONY007
cf.member

Looking at all options i'm going to go for the ASUS RT-AC88U.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:07   #9
BeeVee
cf.member

Services: VIP50
BeeVee is an unknown quantity at this point

ASUS routers are excellent, but have a power on/off button, my RT N66U only works now with a toothpick stuck in the button as the button won't hold down. Why have a power on/off button on a 24/7 router that will fail ?
BeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:07   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
ASUS routers are excellent, but have a power on/off button, my RT N66U only works now with a toothpick stuck in the button as the button won't hold down. Why have a power on/off button on a 24/7 router that will fail ?
Why use such a button so much that it fails?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:32   #11
BeeVee
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why use such a button so much that it fails?
I have never ever used the button, it just failed.

Took me 5 minutes to find out why we had no internet, router lights all out, then realised the power button wouldn't stay in.

Toothpick still in place
Old 11-03-2020, 16:12   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

did it eject/pop out over time? I have had mine for 3 years and so for it has been okay.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 18:08   #13
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONY007 View Post
Looking at all options i'm going to go for the ASUS RT-AC88U.
I would agree with that choice. I have used the RT-AC88U's router facility for a number of years now. It is very easy to set up to work with higher security protocols such as those required for Apple Mac clients.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 20:27   #14
BeeVee
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
did it eject/pop out over time? I have had mine for 3 years and so for it has been okay.
It failed last week for the first time, it wont click back in now.

If you google asus power button you'll see a few posts on the problem.

Trusty old toothpick tip works lol