Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Black Lives Matter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19   #106
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 11,210
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Pierre said that, they didn't. It's telling that both of you see their language as a threat.
"Our commitment to all black lives means that we lift up the experiences of the most marginalised in our communities, including but not limited to working class queer, trans, undocumented, disabled, Muslim, sex workers, women/non-binary, HIV+ people"

No straight white people mentioned in that quote.i don't see anyone as a threat.
__________________
links posted from news sources are not necessarily my opinion
i don't have the time or the crayons to keep explaining this
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21   #107
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,286
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Black Lives Matter

Are straight white men marginalised communities that need "lifted up"?

Nowhere do they express hate.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:24   #108
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 11,210
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Are straight white men marginalised communities that need "lifted up"?

Nowhere do they express hate.
Yes,but no one wan'ts to hear about it.
__________________
links posted from news sources are not necessarily my opinion
i don't have the time or the crayons to keep explaining this
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:28   #109
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 6,372
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Yes,but no one wan'ts to hear about it.
Get out and protest then Smurf ! Nobody reads CF
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:28   #110
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,286
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Yes,but no one wan'ts to hear about it.
Where? Who from?

I'm genuinely very keen to hear the evidence base for this. As a straight white man who doesn't feel very persecuted I'd be genuinely upset to miss out on Straight White Men Matter and campaign for our needs.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:29   #111
ceedee
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bath
Services: 50Mb VM Broadband
Posts: 823
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm not deciding anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They should call themselves British Blacks hate British White straight men...
That's your white privilege telling BLM UK what to do.
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42   #112
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 8,487
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
That's your white privilege telling BLM UK what to do.
No, that's me using my right to free speech by offering an opinion that their name doesn't represent their ideals and suggesting they try a new one.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42   #113
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 11,210
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Where? Who from?

I'm genuinely very keen to hear the evidence base for this. As a straight white man who doesn't feel very persecuted I'd be genuinely upset to miss out on Straight White Men Matter and campaign for our needs.
You pretend to care but i know in my heart that you don't ,your just patronising me.
__________________
links posted from news sources are not necessarily my opinion
i don't have the time or the crayons to keep explaining this
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:45   #114
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,990
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
That's your white privilege telling BLM UK what to do.
Err, no, that’s the equality BLM UK claims to want, at work. BLM UK campaigning and expressing its views ... great. People outside of their client group being told to either agree and approve of both message and method, or else be silent ... not great.

I’m happy for any group in the U.K. to campaign on whatever they want, right up to the point where they start destroying the fabric of the towns and cities we all share and assaulting those whose job is to maintain our safety and order.

I’ve kept out of this thread so far because I really don’t have time for the pointless, circular shouting past each other that it has been from the outset. Had I contributed before now I’d probably simply have pointed out that the claim “Black lives matter” does not mean therefore that white lives do not matter. However, it is apparent that there are those on the fringe who are all too willing to bleat “white privilege” at any opinion they disagree with but lack the intellectual capacity to counter. For some people it actually starts to look like “Black Lives Matter” does mean “white lives don’t matter”. And that’s a shame, because I’m quite sure that’s not what the original intention of the campaign in the US was.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59   #115
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 6,372
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Re: Black Lives Matter

People from either side will try and hijack it for whatever reason they want. 'All lives matter' might have been a better slogan, but a bit too subtle for the US, who need it spelling outto them what the issue is.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:03   #116
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,990
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
People from either side will try and hijack it for whatever reason they want. 'All lives matter' might have been a better slogan, but a bit too subtle for the US, who need it spelling outto them what the issue is.
Very true, and sadly this weekend I think we have lost a golden opportunity to examine racial history in the USA and try to understand what the problems really are over there. It remains a very rich and influential country that we have to deal with and it is useful for us to understand what makes it tick. Now, though, all anyone is associating with BLM in the British press this morning is a copper with a head wound and a large bronze statue being dumped in a dock.

(edit) and, of course, the very real risk that there might now be some local spikes in Covid-19 transmission due to ill-advised mass gatherings in various cities.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:33   #117
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,286
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Black Lives Matter

I'm not sure Britain needs to understand racial inequality in the USA. I'd say Americans do.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:35   #118
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 67
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 38,788
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Err, no, that’s the equality BLM UK claims to want, at work. BLM UK campaigning and expressing its views ... great. People outside of their client group being told to either agree and approve of both message and method, or else be silent ... not great.

I’m happy for any group in the U.K. to campaign on whatever they want, right up to the point where they start destroying the fabric of the towns and cities we all share and assaulting those whose job is to maintain our safety and order.

I’ve kept out of this thread so far because I really don’t have time for the pointless, circular shouting past each other that it has been from the outset. Had I contributed before now I’d probably simply have pointed out that the claim “Black lives matter” does not mean therefore that white lives do not matter. However, it is apparent that there are those on the fringe who are all too willing to bleat “white privilege” at any opinion they disagree with but lack the intellectual capacity to counter. For some people it actually starts to look like “Black Lives Matter” does mean “white lives don’t matter”. And that’s a shame, because I’m quite sure that’s not what the original intention of the campaign in the US was.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:43   #119
mrmistoffelees
067
 
mrmistoffelees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesbrough
Age: 44
Services: Many
Posts: 2,908
mrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appeal
mrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appealmrmistoffelees has a bronzed appeal
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
And that has happened in the UK how many times?



Because state oppression, killing or lack of bringing to justice those that kill Black people is not an issue in the UK as it is in the USA.



I have a view and I will express it, who are you to try and shout me down?



Already been through this with Ben, he’s better at than you btw, and it seemed evident that there was disparity. Which might be annoying, upsetting, frustrating and it needs to be looked at.........but nobody dies.


I don’t know, do you?[COLOR="Silver"]

</snip>.
to take your points in order.

1) There have several deaths in police custody of black people where excessive force has played a significant part in the death of a suspect. Look it up

2) Your opinion is detracting from the crux of the issue. It doesn't matter what the movement is called. the important part is the objective. I don't see BLM in the US complaining about people in the UK or other parts of the world using BLM. So why is it so important to you?

If you think saying someone is better than me is going to cause me to stop debating then I'm sorry you're wrong. If that wasn't the aim then i don't really see why you would choose to post a petty attempt at an insult.

Now, would you like to stop with the poor attempts at insults and use the significant intelligence you posses to engage in the important part of the issue?

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
People from either side will try and hijack it for whatever reason they want. 'All lives matter' might have been a better slogan, but a bit too subtle for the US, who need it spelling outto them what the issue is.

Why would 'All lives matter' have been a better slogan? Don't you think that detracts the focus from where it needs to be?
__________________
Nerves of steel, heart of gold, knob of butter......
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:47   #120
ceedee
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bath
Services: 50Mb VM Broadband
Posts: 823
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Err, no, that’s the equality BLM UK claims to want, at work. BLM UK campaigning and expressing its views ... great. People outside of their client group being told to either agree and approve of both message and method, or else be silent ... not great.

I’m happy for any group in the U.K. to campaign on whatever they want, right up to the point where they start destroying the fabric of the towns and cities we all share and assaulting those whose job is to maintain our safety and order.

I’ve kept out of this thread so far because I really don’t have time for the pointless, circular shouting past each other that it has been from the outset. Had I contributed before now I’d probably simply have pointed out that the claim “Black lives matter” does not mean therefore that white lives do not matter. However, it is apparent that there are those on the fringe who are all too willing to bleat “white privilege” at any opinion they disagree with but lack the intellectual capacity to counter. For some people it actually starts to look like “Black Lives Matter” does mean “white lives don’t matter”. And that’s a shame, because I’m quite sure that’s not what the original intention of the campaign in the US was.
As far as I can see, BLM in the US or UK have never claimed to seek equality or claimed that everyone must agree or be silent.

And many have pointed out that 'All Houses Matter' but it's the one that's on fire right now that requires urgent attention, not the ones around it that aren't.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone in the white community is welcome to form and express any opinion they see fit but telling black people what their movement "should do" crosses a line into 'white privilege'.

You may not have a problem with that but, I suspect, both BLM in the US and UK will.
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (2 members and 2 guests)
Carth, 1andrew1
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.