Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-11-2015, 10:55   #2281
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
If the STB's do stop FFW through ads, that will suck. But Tivo bolt will let you skip them anyway. If the worst comes to the worst, I will simply choose to keep an STB that allows me to ffw through ads for as long as I can.

I simply refuse to believe HULU (or anyone) will be able make more money through non-ad subscriptions than advertisers. You can not tell me that they could get more than the £3.05 per month per customer which they currently charge. Ad free viewing is just a rouse to get people buying streaming services, when the subscription figures are high enough, they will pull the rug out from under the ad free viewing.
HULU have already said both ad free and ad supported versions are very succesful with both packages having a good uptake, however even the ad free version does have a advert before the show on some shows but not many, most noticeable is GRIMM and Once upon a time but those are the only 2 i recall. Even the ad supported version is limited commercials you'll get 5 1 minute ad breaks during a 1 hour show.
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2015, 11:51   #2282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Come on OB, the ads will come to streaming sooner rather than later. What will make me chuckle is if streamers cant skip through them though.

Streaming can become king for all I care. As long as I have the choice to keep using an STB with record, FFW, and rewind, I will be happy.

That being said, I still don't think streaming will be future.

Oh, you can already watch programmes without ads - it's called the BBC, but that is something else you to change - which ironically will have to show adverts to help fund it if you had your way. That in itself is equally ironic, considering your hatred of adverts
We are currently watching 'Indian Summers' on All4 and you can't skip through the ads on there - most annoying. Although I suppose it does give me an opportunity to go to the kitchen to pour some more drinks!

As for the BBC, I have only suggested commercials as a means of increasing the funding to the organisation, given the popular uprising against the licence fee. Such advertisements should be discreetly placed between, but not during programmes.

I'd still avoid watching them, of course!

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:
If the STB's do stop FFW through ads, that will suck. But Tivo bolt will let you skip them anyway. If the worst comes to the worst, I will simply choose to keep an STB that allows me to ffw through ads for as long as I can.

I simply refuse to believe HULU (or anyone) will be able make more money through non-ad subscriptions than advertisers. You can not tell me that they could get more than the £3.05 per month per customer which they currently charge. Ad free viewing is just a rouse to get people buying streaming services, when the subscription figures are high enough, they will pull the rug out from under the ad free viewing.
Well, who knows, Harry, but I hope you are wrong. I think there should be a subscription only option without ads for those prepared to pay for it.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:05   #2283
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think there should be a subscription only option without ads for those prepared to pay for it.
The problem always is that the people who are prepared to pay not to have ads are the ones whose profile the advertisers would most like to reach...
Old 28-11-2015, 12:07   #2284
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Just picked up the Now TV box with 6 month entertainment pass and free shipping from PCworld if people are still after this as the other 2 links are out of stock! Other pass options available at good prices.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...39929-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html
This offer is still available if anyone still wants it and didn't see this post late last night.
Old 28-11-2015, 13:06   #2285
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
given the popular uprising against the licence fee..
I'd be happy to look at any statistical evidence that you have to support your claim.
Old 28-11-2015, 13:11   #2286
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Are now tv box passes stackable?
Old 28-11-2015, 13:26   #2287
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are now tv box passes stackable?
No, you have to wait until you are in the last month of your current pass before you can add a new one. Pretty irritating really.
Old 28-11-2015, 13:28   #2288
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
No, you have to wait until you are in the last month of your current pass before you can add a new one. Pretty irritating really.
If i buy another 6 month pass now can i add it is 6 months or does it expire?
Old 28-11-2015, 14:32   #2289
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
If i buy another 6 month pass now can i add it is 6 months or does it expire?
No, it should be fine. I first started using season passes a year ago and bought two boxes at the same time with 3 month passes on special offer for £14. I just waited until the last month of the pass from the first box and then added the second box pass.

I've bought two of the 6 month £19 boxes and will do the same with those.
Old 28-11-2015, 15:08   #2290
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'd be happy to look at any statistical evidence that you have to support your claim.
Are you serious?!!

There's been enough coverage about this, I'm surprised you are doubting that a proportion of the population is getting very angry about having to pay the licence fee, PB.

PS -

Just stumbled on this, it wasn't hard to find.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...-fee-scrapped/
Old 28-11-2015, 15:20   #2291
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No, it should be fine. I first started using season passes a year ago and bought two boxes at the same time with 3 month passes on special offer for £14. I just waited until the last month of the pass from the first box and then added the second box pass.

I've bought two of the 6 month £19 boxes and will do the same with those.
Can you add say an entertainment pass and a movie pass at the same time ? I've never tried it.
Old 28-11-2015, 16:10   #2292
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Yes you can add both movie and entertainment passes at the same time

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Amazon lightning deal on at the moment early access for Prime members

Now TV + 2 months Movie pass £9.99
Now TV + 3 months Entertainment pass £9.99
Now TV + 2 Sports Day pass £9.99
Old 28-11-2015, 16:51   #2293
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Yes you can add both movie and entertainment passes at the same time

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Amazon lightning deal on at the moment early access for Prime members

Now TV + 2 months Movie pass £9.99
Now TV + 3 months Entertainment pass £9.99
Now TV + 2 Sports Day pass £9.99
I don't think you need to be a Prime member as it let me add it to my basket, although i bought from PCworld as that was free shipping.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:26   #2294
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
But only for certain channels as it relies on employing people to manually mark the start and end of blocks of ads.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Panasonic suggest 2-3 years. LG just invested over $8bn in a new plant to make them with rumours suggesting the iPhone will be moving to them in 2018. http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/27/9...ry-8-7-billion

There's a proper OLED TV thread here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26...-oled-tvs.html
Thanks.

This article says that the infrastructure used for streaming OTT content is problematic because it was only ever designed for VOD, but that is changing...
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201511294...#axzz3sjEpZvm2
Old 29-11-2015, 20:51   #2295
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Amazon Video app coming to Apple TV in the next few weeks ?

http://www.stuff.tv/news/amazon-vide...next-few-weeks
Closed Thread