Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2015, 17:19   #2266
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They do show in HD only On Demand (720p) looks ok on my 55" set , but to be honest I struggle to understand why anyone would watch the live channels with the exception of sport.

Must admit though I wouldn't use for Sport.
Agree; given that sky are pretty quick to add a broadcast show to catchup, why would anyone watch a live SD stream with 15 to 20 minutes of adverts?
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2015, 19:09   #2267
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Agree; given that sky are pretty quick to add a broadcast show to catchup, why would anyone watch a live SD stream with 15 to 20 minutes of adverts?
That's what I think too, but even this forum has plenty of contributors who think linear channels are here to stay and they continue to watch them.

I do think that people will realise eventually how inefficient this method of viewing is, but they need to admit this to themselves before they eventually accept it and change their viewing habits.

On demand and streaming videos are the way of the future.
Old 27-11-2015, 19:18   #2268
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's what I think too, but even this forum has plenty of contributors who think linear channels are here to stay and they continue to watch them.

I do think that people will realise eventually how inefficient this method of viewing is, but they need to admit this to themselves before they eventually accept it and change their viewing habits.

On demand and streaming videos are the way of the future.
Very rare i watch anything live unless it's sport but linar tv isn't going anywhere anywhere soon, on demand will certainly continue to grow but linar will still be here in the foreseeable future, i do think we may see changes to linar tv though such as more product placement and less commercial adverts.
Old 27-11-2015, 19:19   #2269
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

You keep playing that same record OB and one day you might just convince yourself.
Old 27-11-2015, 20:19   #2270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You keep playing that same record OB and one day you might just convince yourself.
I hear you Den, but you've still not explained why watching 20 minutes of adverts every hour is a good use of your leisure time.

Would you not prefer to be watching programmes rather than ads?

Maybe you just like watching commercials. In which case, fair enough.
Old 27-11-2015, 21:37   #2271
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Try this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month...8630542&sr=8-2

From some links it shows as out of stock.
I was going to order this but they want £5 shipping which put me off as the Tescos link lets you add to basket then says it is not in stock!
Old 27-11-2015, 21:50   #2272
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I hear you Den, but you've still not explained why watching 20 minutes of adverts every hour is a good use of your leisure time.

Would you not prefer to be watching programmes rather than ads?

Maybe you just like watching commercials. In which case, fair enough.
Come on OB, the ads will come to streaming sooner rather than later. What will make me chuckle is if streamers cant skip through them though.

Streaming can become king for all I care. As long as I have the choice to keep using an STB with record, FFW, and rewind, I will be happy.

That being said, I still don't think streaming will be future.

Oh, you can already watch programmes without ads - it's called the BBC, but that is something else you to change - which ironically will have to show adverts to help fund it if you had your way. That in itself is equally ironic, considering your hatred of adverts
Old 27-11-2015, 22:35   #2273
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Just checked, Richard, Demand 5 works perfectly well on my Smart Sony TV.
That's good to hear, in case they ever do actually show something worth watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
LCDs still have a slightly slower response time to change state compared to plasmas so there's greater motion blur. OLED TVs are solely LED and outperform both but it has taken a long time for the technology to get to the point of screens without a high failure rate of dead pixels and a suitable price point.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/oled-tv...u-need-to-know
Do you know when OLED TV's will be on sale at a reasonable price?

Quote:
A box + 3 months Entertainment via that offer is £14.99. It doesn't really compare with £19 for a box and six months.

How Amazon and Tesco can do better deals than the company that makes the product, is beyond me, but it seems to happen a lot.
That happens a lot, you'd think that going to the manufacturers own website (like Samsung) would be cheaper as they cut out the middle man- but not so.
Old 27-11-2015, 22:41   #2274
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Come on OB, the ads will come to streaming sooner rather than later. What will make me chuckle is if streamers cant skip through them though.

Streaming can become king for all I care. As long as I have the choice to keep using an STB with record, FFW, and rewind, I will be happy.

That being said, I still don't think streaming will be future.

Oh, you can already watch programmes without ads - it's called the BBC, but that is something else you to change - which ironically will have to show adverts to help fund it if you had your way. That in itself is equally ironic, considering your hatred of adverts
Verizon and Comcast have released STBs that stop you from fast fowarding the adverts, expect similar devices in the UK within next 4 or 5 years.
Streaming companies will probablly follow HULUs example one price for a comercial plan say £8p/m and a higher costing plan for no commercials say £12p/m. HULU currently do this commercial plan $7.99p/m (£5.20) and none commercial $11.99p/m (£8.25).
Old 27-11-2015, 22:50   #2275
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I was going to order this but they want £5 shipping which put me off as the Tescos link lets you add to basket then says it is not in stock!
Amazon have a lightning deal at the moment Now TV (new box) with 3 months Entertainment or two months movies £9.99. Ends in an hour or so I think.
Old 27-11-2015, 23:07   #2276
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Just picked up the Now TV box with 6 month entertainment pass and free shipping from PCworld if people are still after this as the other 2 links are out of stock! Other pass options available at good prices.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...39929-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html
Old 27-11-2015, 23:21   #2277
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Verizon and Comcast have released STBs that stop you from fast fowarding the adverts, expect similar devices in the UK within next 4 or 5 years.
Streaming companies will probablly follow HULUs example one price for a comercial plan say £8p/m and a higher costing plan for no commercials say £12p/m. HULU currently do this commercial plan $7.99p/m (£5.20) and none commercial $11.99p/m (£8.25).
People are now used to add free content from Netflix and prime and Hulu have reported success from their add free option. People have come to expect it now and will be prepared to pay a little extra for it. I think Harry is wrong; I can't see an add free option from streaming services disappearing.

And the Tivo Bolt has functionality to skip adds completely.

https://www.tivo.com/discover/
Old 27-11-2015, 23:30   #2278
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
People are now used to add free content from Netflix and prime and Hulu have reported success from their add free option. People have come to expect it now and will be prepared to pay a little extra for it. I think Harry is wrong; I can't see an add free option from streaming services disappearing.

https://www.tivo.com/discover/
I opted for the ad free version of HULU it's worth it imo, the tivo bolt looks like a cracking piece of kit too.
Old 28-11-2015, 01:43   #2279
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post

If the STB's do stop FFW through ads, that will suck. But Tivo bolt will let you skip them anyway. If the worst comes to the worst, I will simply choose to keep an STB that allows me to ffw through ads for as long as I can.

I simply refuse to believe HULU (or anyone) will be able make more money through non-ad subscriptions than advertisers. You can not tell me that they could get more than the £3.05 per month per customer which they currently charge. Ad free viewing is just a rouse to get people buying streaming services, when the subscription figures are high enough, they will pull the rug out from under the ad free viewing.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:10   #2280
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
But only for certain channels as it relies on employing people to manually mark the start and end of blocks of ads.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do you know when OLED TV's will be on sale at a reasonable price?
Panasonic suggest 2-3 years. LG just invested over $8bn in a new plant to make them with rumours suggesting the iPhone will be moving to them in 2018. http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/27/9...ry-8-7-billion

There's a proper OLED TV thread here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26...-oled-tvs.html
Closed Thread