Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

Old 18-01-2018, 15:08   #31
jj20x

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
This thread is incredible

What a shame we don’t live in the good old days when you could be racist without being called out on it, eh lads
The prevailing view does appear to be "let's make racism acceptable again". A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain.
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2018, 15:16   #32
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
The prevailing view does appear to be "let's make racism acceptable again". A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain.
Well l did not vote for Brexit nor do l think racism is acceptable as l myself am of ethnic origin and personally l found these old series very enjoyable as they are what they are around that time and many ethnic people actually enjoyed them and found them funny.
Old 18-01-2018, 15:30   #33
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The "prevailing view" is to stop being artificially "offended" on behalf of other people, and has nothing to do with Brexit.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 15:41   #34
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l did not vote for Brexit nor do l think racism is acceptable as l myself am of ethnic origin and personally l found these old series very enjoyable as they are what they are around that time and many ethnic people actually enjoyed them and found them funny.
It's not a case of being pro or anti Brexit, just the fact that certain extremist, racist groups have hijacked the Brexit sentiment to promote their extreme views.

I'm not sure that many of the old comedies were really that funny. I often watch dated material and think, did people really find that funny? Some of the material is absolutely dreadful. We moved away from a lot of the poor quality comedy but it is still alive and well in Germany.

I think the real point is that much of this content predates the various Race Relations Acts and the Broadcasting codes they gave birth to. The reason that such content didn't continue to be produced comes from the protection offered by these Acts and codes.

It amuses me that Ofcom is frequently referred to as a toothless regulator, but when it does step up to enforce the Broadcasting Code, it is accused of overstepping its remit.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
The "prevailing view" is to stop being artificially "offended" on behalf of other people, and has nothing to do with Brexit.
See my previous post regarding the Brexit connection. Also accept that this has NOTHING to do with being offended and everything to do with enforcing Broadcasting Codes. Not selectively ignoring broadcasting standards to allow racism back into broadcasting through the back door.
Old 18-01-2018, 16:08   #35
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The topic is not Brexit. There is a thread for Brexit.
Old 18-01-2018, 16:16   #36
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
The topic is not Brexit. There is a thread for Brexit.
And yet nobody is actually discussing Brexit, at all.

So an interesting interjection.
Old 18-01-2018, 17:59   #37
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
And yet nobody is actually discussing Brexit, at all.

So an interesting interjection.
The subject is not Brexit. Brexit is, i think, one result of people feeling annoyed at being told what to believe, and a concerted effort by the papers to blame the EU for everything (including us being told what to believe, what to find offensive etc). It's not generally the EU telling us this (in my experience).

But, that is off topic.

I think people (especially now) are too quick to get offended, and in my experience, both left and right wing people are too quick to get offended.

Do I wish for a return of the old days when we could happily walk down the street calling people various combinations of words beginning with N, P and F (all of which are now offensive) while wolf whistling all the women? No. Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 18:31   #38
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The subject is not Brexit. Brexit is, i think, one result of people feeling annoyed at being told what to believe, and a concerted effort by the papers to blame the EU for everything (including us being told what to believe, what to find offensive etc). It's not generally the EU telling us this (in my experience).

But, that is off topic.

I think people (especially now) are too quick to get offended, and in my experience, both left and right wing people are too quick to get offended.

Do I wish for a return of the old days when we could happily walk down the street calling people various combinations of words beginning with N, P and F (all of which are now offensive) while wolf whistling all the women? No. Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.
The problem is, as usual, it has gone too far. We need to reign this all in a bit, stop deliberately being offensive, but also stop reacting in a ridiculous fashion to innocent statements and jokes.

I am really non-plussed about the fuss over Talking Pictures. Clearly, culture and standards change over the years. Are we going to ban everything from the 1990s and before?

We really need to get a grip and get over ourselves.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 18:37   #39
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The thread gives the impression that some posters are taking offence at Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code, so you do seem to have a point.

Quote:
Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.
But that's not what this is about. Broadcasters are issued their various licences and are required to comply with the Broadcasting Act, Broadcasting Codes and to operate within the terms of their licence. It is up to the broadcaster to ensure that programmes comply with the various acts and codes. If a broadcaster neglects to ensure that programmes comply with the required codes, they can expect to get into trouble with the regulator. If they repeatedly fail to ensure that programmes comply, then they should expect to lose their licence.

The issue isn't whether or not a programme has caused offence, it is whether or not a broadcast complies with current broadcasting standards.
Old 18-01-2018, 18:52   #40
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

AFAIK archive material is treated in exactly the same way as new material, so by default, any now deemed inappropriate is effectively banned.

Probably why Love Thy Neighbour has only had one selective repeat in many, many years.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 19:12   #41
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The thread gives the impression that some posters are taking offence at Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code, so you do seem to have a point.

But that's not what this is about. Broadcasters are issued their various licences and are required to comply with the Broadcasting Act, Broadcasting Codes and to operate within the terms of their licence. It is up to the broadcaster to ensure that programmes comply with the various acts and codes. If a broadcaster neglects to ensure that programmes comply with the required codes, they can expect to get into trouble with the regulator. If they repeatedly fail to ensure that programmes comply, then they should expect to lose their licence.

The issue isn't whether or not a programme has caused offence, it is whether or not a broadcast complies with current broadcasting standards.
True, but the Broadcasting Code goes too far. Nearly every programme I see these days carrires some sort of warning, treating us all like children.
Old 18-01-2018, 19:14   #42
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
True, but the Broadcasting Code goes too far. Nearly every programme I see these days carrires some sort of warning, treating us all like children.
The nanny state is what they call it...
Old 18-01-2018, 19:17   #43
jj20x

Quote:
The point being that children may actually be watching. Such messages are to alert parents that the content may be unsuitable for younger viewers. I doubt that the broadcasters have an OLD BOY in mind when they display such warnings.
Old 18-01-2018, 19:34   #44
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The point being that children may actually be watching. Such messages are to alert parents that the content may be unsuitable for younger viewers. I doubt that the broadcasters have an OLD BOY in mind when they display such warnings.
Well by 10 o'clock, the little perishers should be in bed!

Maybe they should blare out a siren at 8 to ensure everyone understands that.
Old 18-01-2018, 20:15   #45
jj20x

Quote:
Well by 10 o'clock, the little perishers should be in bed!

Maybe they should blare out a siren at 8 to ensure everyone understands that.
You've probably noticed that there isn't a consistent approach to this across various broadcasters. Some of those "warnings" are likely to be there simply because the broadcaster wishes to inform the viewer of the type of content. Not always a requirement of the broadcasting code, occasionally just the policy of an individual broadcaster.