Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Aldi Ross SD Freesat Kit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Aldi Ross SD Freesat Kit

Old 12-06-2012, 13:59   #1
shud
Inactive

shud is an unknown quantity at this point
Aldi Ross SD Freesat Kit

Hi folks newbee here so be nice

ive just purchased one of these and have had no joy what so ever getting any channels, im awaiting delivery of a meter to help me with finding the satellites and ive being using dishpointer.

My problem is im only getting between 50-55% strength and no quality ???

ive plugged the reciever box into my sky line and that picked up everything, so is it a faulty LNB or im just pointing in the wrong direction and elevation ( on a bout this i have a crappy bracket supplied with the kit which has 30,60,90 degree markings sort of marked on it, but i cant figure out which way our this bracket should be facing their is an arrow cut out on the bracket so im gathering this should be facing up.

Anyone any advice on how i can get this to work, i was hoping to take it with us in the caravan , but by the time i get a signal ill be packing up again

cheers
shud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 14:20   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ALdi Ross SD Freesat Kit

Wrong direction.. 50-55% is normal for no signal (yep I know 0% would be a better indication)

As just a small fraction of a degree can mean a signal or not a meter is a definite.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:23   #3
shud
Inactive

Thanks ive had a sort of reply from Ross, they say that the dish when set vertical is already at 18 degrees, so how much of a tweak is it to get to 22 or 28 degrees?
Old 12-06-2012, 14:45   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

That's like asking.. How long is this piece of string that I'm holding...

Firstly try dishpointer.com, find out the direction, elevation and LNB skew.. But even then sighting by eye is nearly impossible..

Wait for the meter and that will make the job a thousand times easier...
Old 12-06-2012, 15:10   #5
shud
Inactive

ok will do, so when i do get the meter its just a matter of small movements with the dish?

sorry for being so basic about this ICT is my thing not Satellites
Old 12-06-2012, 15:17   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

When you get the meter set LNB skew and the elevation (up/down) to whatever it says on the dish pointer site and roughly point it in the right direction.. Then slowly point east or west until you pick up a sat.. Then use very small movements (left/right/up/down to find the extremities of the signal and then point your dish in the middle of those outside limits (should be the strongest reading)

Then scan the transponder (refer to the manual) as you might of got one of the other sats (they can be only a couple of degrees apart..)

Based on the scan if not full of UK channels then check lyngsat.com to identify the sat and then move** either east or west from that point to find the right sat.

** note that as you move left (east) you'll need to drop the dish very slightly (about half a degree at a time) as the earth curves and for right (west) raise the dish slightly
Old 12-06-2012, 15:27   #7
shud
Inactive

thanks i shall percivere and get back hopefully with a smile on my face
Old 20-06-2012, 12:54   #8
shud
Inactive

Hi Kymmy, just an update.

I recieved the satellite meter and set it up last night used a print out from dishpointer to get a general direction to point the dish, started getting green bars on both signal and quality, BUT 0% on the meter, so i selected search on the box and it found all the channels.
Baffled as to why i was getting no signal on the meter i looked in to it, only to find i had accidentally turned the volume down whilst attaching the cables then i nearly got defend with 99% reading
Old 20-06-2012, 14:53   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Glad you're happy