Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

BT Infinity installed

Old 19-12-2011, 13:00   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
BT Infinity installed

So BT have just come and gone within the last 2 hours and installed BT Infinity, to be honest not bad at all, as i was predicted 28Mb down and 9Mb up

That is what i get through wireless after changing some settings, not sure through wired not checked yet.

Is it possible to use our own router instead of theirs?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2011, 13:18   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: BT Infinity installed

Not too shabby Zee, why don't you set up a TBB ping monitor to see how that fairs.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 13:21   #3
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I might do.

I just checked wired and getting the same results, the guy did say im quite away from the cabinet so i was quite surprised to get above the predicted speeds.

Im guessing i'll need to let it settle for a week or so for me to get closer to the predicted upload speeds, still got VM as a backup though.
Old 19-12-2011, 13:33   #4
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Unless I'm mistaken, your line doesn't settle like it used too on ADSL, what you get now is what you get period.

Not that there's anything wrong with your throughput.

I'm toying with giving BT Infinity a go, but it's just there bad rep for poor customer service that's putting me off.
Old 19-12-2011, 14:00   #5
Zee
Inactive

oh right... i wonder why im not getting a bit closer to the predicted 9Mb upload speed then, although the speeds im getting are totally fine with me.
Old 19-12-2011, 14:35   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

your on option 2 mate? whats your views on option 1, 40GB allowance?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 14:49   #7
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
your on option 2 mate? whats your views on option 1, 40GB allowance?
i wouldn't go for option 1, unless you just browse the internet or download very lightly. but if you use 4od, iplayer, download movies and music, use an xbox 360 and all sorts, option 2 is a better choice. you have much more freedom.
Old 19-12-2011, 14:51   #8
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

if you don't mind me asking whats the month costs? do you have line rental/phone with them too?
Old 19-12-2011, 15:04   #9
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
if you don't mind me asking whats the month costs? do you have line rental/phone with them too?
Its £39 per month with BT line rental and unlimited anytime calls £34 for the first 4 months.
Old 19-12-2011, 15:07   #10
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
oh right... i wonder why im not getting a bit closer to the predicted 9Mb upload speed then, although the speeds im getting are totally fine with me.
Nothing wrong with those speeds dude, like you say if you are a way from the cabinet, that would explain the very nice upload your still getting
Old 19-12-2011, 15:09   #11
Zee
Inactive

Let me point out, simular deal with VM (30Mb + unlimited calls) will cost almost the same at £40 per month
Old 19-12-2011, 15:18   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Let me point out, simular deal with VM (30Mb + unlimited calls) will cost almost the same at £40 per month
Bt gets free caller ID free calls to 0845 and no superhub!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 15:54   #13
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Bt gets free caller ID free calls to 0845 and no superhub!
True, but i wouldnt say the Home hub is any better.

My upload speed has increased now to above 6Mb... progress.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Uploading at 730KB/s on utorrent
Old 19-12-2011, 16:20   #14
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, your line doesn't settle like it used too on ADSL, what you get now is what you get period.

Not that there's anything wrong with your throughput.

I'm toying with giving BT Infinity a go, but it's just there bad rep for poor customer service that's putting me off.
I think it does have a settling period, I remember the engineer telling me my speeds would change during the first 10 days.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 16:46   #15
thenry
Inactive

I have one major issue with VM thats it, slowly their getting it sorted once and for all hopefully but everyday that passes makes me want to enquire infinity. as mentioned in the thread zee, keep us updated