Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media broadband faceplate and cable setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media broadband faceplate and cable setup

Old 03-02-2019, 14:27   #1
Johjames
Inactive

Johjames is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media broadband faceplate and cable setup

Hi All,

Thanks for reading my post and for any assistance you may be able to provide.
I'm in the midst of renovating our house. We only have Virgin cable broadband and we do not need any other Media service other than the broadband.
The 1st photo shows where the Virgin cable enters the house, along with the gubbins attached to this. I don't know what these 2 boxes are, although I believe the 2nd one may be a splitter.
The 2nd and 3rd photo's show another cable which enters the house and this cable's terminations. I have no idea what this cable is, or whether we need it.
My questions to those of you who no doubt have much more knowledge than me about these things:
1. Do we need all the 'gubbins' connected to the Virgin media cable?
2. Is there a particular Faceplate we should use to house the Virgin media cable entry point into the house and the gubbins we have to keep connected to it?
3. Would there be any issues with us chasing the Virgin cable into the wall, so that it doesn't hang down the wall?
4. What is the second cable please and would you advise we keep it? If so which faceplate would you recommend?
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/f...2/IMG_5103.jpg
https://i537.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_5102.jpg
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/f...2/IMG_5103.jpg
Johjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2019, 15:29   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media broadband faceplate and cable setup

That second cable looks like one for a satellite PVR install, not Virgin Media.

As for the other questions, I think you've got an isolator, Splitter and attenuator in your current cable setup. Out of the three you might be able to get rid of the Splitter in the middle without it causing problems, although to be honest, if it all works I'd generally leave it alone!

As for a wall box for the isolator, here's an option https://ebay.us/ABA9tA. Anything past the wall box I'd leave running free in case it need to be replaced at any point.

Last edited by BenMcr; 03-02-2019 at 15:41.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 19:54   #3
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Looking at the photos I'd concentrate on sorting the parking ticket .
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:22   #4
Johjames
Inactive

Johjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That second cable looks like one for a satellite PVR install, not Virgin Media.

As for the other questions, I think you've got an isolator, Splitter and attenuator in your current cable setup. Out of the three you might be able to get rid of the Splitter in the middle without it causing problems, although to be honest, if it all works I'd generally leave it alone!

As for a wall box for the isolator, here's an option https://ebay.us/ABA9tA. Anything past the wall box I'd leave running free in case it need to be replaced at any point.
Thanks, I suspect that the 2nd cables are satellite related, as they don't appear to come from the virgin box, I'll just remove them. The wall box looks good, although I'd like to hide the splitter and attenuator if possible.
Johjames is offline   Reply With Quote