Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The photography thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The photography thread

Old 20-01-2019, 14:18   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
The photography thread

We have a thread for photo of the day but not one about equipment and techniques etc.

As a beginner, it will help me and others to share hints etc.

I myself bought the Nikon D5600 kit that comes with a AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-f5.6G VR lens.

In a few months I'll get the 55-300mm lens

But ATM I'm using auto mode/auto no flash mode to get used to handling the camera.

Later I'll experiment with Shutter & Aperture priority modes.

One thing I'd like to do is photgraph the moon, but will the 18-55mm lens do this, I guess I'd need to put in manual mode and play with shutter/aperture modes?

Last edited by Hom3r; 20-01-2019 at 14:24.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2019, 15:03   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: The photography thread

55mm is very short for telescopic photos, although high pixel levels on many cameras would allow you to crop a lot of the sky out.

I used a 600mm lens with high ISO / ASA speed film for lunar shots, on a very stable tripod.

Learning how to control aperture and speed is not difficult once you understand the basics.

Basically a high speed with a large aperture is the same exposure as a slow speed with a small aperture (they act on a comparative scale, so one step up in speed means you increase the aperture size by one step, one step down in speed means you decrease the aperture by one step). The difference is that small apertures produce large depths of field, large apertures produce tight depths of field. And high speeds stop motion, whilst slow speeds will show blurred motion.

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

And don't forget that the moon is moving, and it moves a lot faster than most realise. So a slow speed will not produce totally crisp pictures unless you are using a tracking mount or goto mount.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 16:55   #3
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Another thing when trying to shoot the moon is that it's better when it is not a full moon. Here's one of my old ones from a 300mm zoom.

As you can see the craters are better when it's not full due to the shadows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moon.jpg (11.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 20-01-2019, 17:09   #4
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I would also try to avoid using the built in flash as much as possible. They are no way near as good as something like an SB-700 which I like playing with. To be able to bounce the flash in whatever direction can make all the difference.

If you like landscape photography then check out the basic filters to start with such as polarized (makes the sky bluer, grass greener and gets rid of reflections etc) and ND filters. (Making running water look smooth and smokey etc). Also good for longer exposure in bright lights.

If you're totally new to photography then get some books. There's one for that camera in which you'll learn more within minutes than months of fiddling about.

Last edited by peanut; 20-01-2019 at 17:20.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 17:53   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

When I was seriously into film photography with my 35mm Nikon FT2 I had a Tamron 28 to 100mm F5.6 zoom which was the most used lens in my kit. I also had a 2x multiplier that would scale it 50 to 200mm.

Other lenses were the F1.4 50mm standard Nikon lens and a 300mm f5.6 Tamron telephoto. All of which could use the 2x multiplier.

Night photographs using moonlight and a tripod were quite interesting on the coast: 30 seconds at F5.6 on 400 ASA film produced results that looked like daylight but the sea had that misty look due to the long exposure.

Good luck with your new hobby Hom3r.
Old 20-01-2019, 18:28   #6
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Don't forget to buy a decent tripod: Budget around £100-150 for a new one with the head although you can probably pick something up for less than 50 sheets on eBay.

You'll need it for shooting the moon with your long lens when you get it.

Try shooting the moon at F11 on aperture priority and bracket. If shooting manual 100-125th sec is usually ok.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 20:08   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
If you're totally new to photography then get some books. There's one for that camera in which you'll learn more within minutes than months of fiddling about.

I'm new to DSLR, I do know some basic stuff my dad's told me, he used to develop his own pictures.

I do have 2 books for my D5600, one is the dummies guide and the other is by David Busch both from amazon.

Last edited by Hom3r; 20-01-2019 at 20:12.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 21:09   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens.jpg (72.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg lens-focal-length-illustration.jpg (209.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 20-01-2019, 21:12   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Blood moon eclipse tonight, 5am if you want to set an alarm.... and pray for no clouds...

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse
Old 21-01-2019, 11:17   #10
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Blood moon eclipse tonight, 5am if you want to set an alarm.... and pray for no clouds...

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse
No blood moon just bloody clouds &!=*%$#
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 15:53   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
We have a thread for photo of the day
Doesnt look like its been used in a while, perhaps you can add to it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 19:15   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Doesnt look like its been used in a while, perhaps you can add to it.

I'll have to compress the 12meg JPG.

Or save a new JPG from the RAW file.