Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Win 10 Speed slow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Win 10 Speed slow

Old 30-01-2019, 15:38   #46
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Win 10 Speed slow

SAFE MODE--OOkla test---Server Wolvs--ping 14---down 208.92--up 14.93
Bristol & Cardiff is slower..
I have switched cat cables around plus switch box conections and no difference. So, me thinks it has to do with Win 10 and older PCs or a KB Update. Unless you know different of course..Thanks for the help...
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2019, 15:46   #47
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Is this the pc you built yourself or the one you bought?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 15:55   #48
copernob
cf.addict

Downstream is 1.4 on high channels & 2.2 to 3 on lower channels..On Win 10 pc.
Funny thing is--my dbm/v is same on Win 7 PC..Very Strange is that as I thought it should be between 6 to 10dbm/v downstream & 31 to 55 dbm/v upstream..What should it be ??
NETWORK LOG always shows Critical & Errors..

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

General it is Win 10 Bought but use to use Win 7 until I upgraded
..My win7 is self build..
Old 30-01-2019, 17:10   #49
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Downstream should be as close to 0 as possible so 1.4 is fine. Any reported stats will be the same regardless of the device you "view" them on because you are looking at the line performance of the shub connected to the VM network and not the pc's connection.

Have you had a look to see if there is a utility installed for your motherboard? I have got an MSI motherboard and as part of the drivers and software bundle which gets installed it comes with an app called something like "ethernet killer" which has all sorts of snazzy reporting features for the network card. One of the things it can do is bandwidth limitation and for some reason it is enabled by default and set to 100mbit. You might want to look and see if you have got something similar in operation.
Old 02-02-2019, 17:46   #50
copernob
cf.addict

Hi General Maximus---No, I got no such progy in my Win 10 with motherboard. I only use Speccy to show what I got. I will install "Wnetwatcher" as I got that on my Win 7 pc, to see if anything else is logging in or going out.
Old 02-02-2019, 21:00   #51
General Maximus
Ran Away

well depending how much it irritates you going forward (and I know it would bug me) I would do a clean install of windows 10, do a speed test and see what I get, and if I got full speed work my way up from there installing updates and applications and see what is affecting it. Tbh I think it is something local to you which you haven't found yet because if it was a windows issue or update, no matter how small the glitch, it would have affected enough users globally that you would see it on the support forums and I couldn't find anything.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:43   #52
copernob
cf.addict

There are some in here-- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-d0b7466916fc

Not worked for me yet...

STRANGE Things Happen...I downloaded the OOKLA Desktop Speed Test.. It was from Bristol (Virgin Media) Ping 13----Download 382.63---Upload 22.84..Thought you could only get 21.01 Up....Why does the OOKLA site give lower & desktop App gives higher...
OH- I did change the Ethernet Driver from Microsoft to NVIDIA...
Old 08-02-2019, 22:26   #53
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough

Unless I missed it have you've updated or re-installed the network drivers.
Happened to me re-installed the network drive and the speed went up from 100meg back to 220.
It's actually happened twice to me.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:49   #54
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Since upgrading my PC i now have an Intel chipset ethernet card where my old one was a broadcom chipset.

I have to set my ethernet card to full duplex and use TCPOptimiser in order to get full 350mb otherwise i wont see much more than 220mb.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 13:12   #55
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Since upgrading my PC i now have an Intel chipset ethernet card where my old one was a broadcom chipset.

I have to set my ethernet card to full duplex and use TCPOptimiser in order to get full 350mb otherwise i wont see much more than 220mb.
Shouldn't need to do any of those things to make it work.
If you're having to force full duplex that suggests something is wrong with your cabling or if also using a switch something wrong with that.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 13:38   #56
General Maximus
Ran Away

Yeah, it's not negotiating the connection properly.
Old 09-02-2019, 20:54   #57
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Well i changed from Cat 5 to Cat6 a few weeks ago when i moved hub and router and needed longer cables and this didnt solve it.

Im not having any issues touch wood.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 02:07   #58
copernob
cf.addict

What is Perplexing me brain is this..I google OOKLA speed test for online test. It always gives me a low speed on Win10..Do same on my Win 7 n it is Fast.
If I do an OOKLA Desktop speed test on win10 I get the Top fast speed. It is not the cables as I swapped them around n all is well with no change. Anyway, Once I buy a New Router I'll let you know if everything is lots better..THANKS ALL.
Old 13-02-2019, 10:39   #59
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Try these speedtests via ethernet using atleast 2 different browsers without adblocks running and report back.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
https://www.speedtest.net/ (i know this is by oklaa so i assume this is what you refer too)