Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Attn: VMB BUsiness Users

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

wifi dropout

Old 22-11-2018, 23:57   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
wifi dropout

Evening all

For the last 3 nights we've lost wifi to all devices but it hasn't happened so far any earlier than 21.30. Local network still OK, can see 2K and 5K SSID's but no wifi internet connection. Wired is still working OK during the dropouts.
A reboot normally solves the issue (took 2 reboots on first night).
This is with a shub 2 and is getting a bit tiresome.

Thinking of ringing CS if this continues, so any cunning tips or insight gratefully received.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2018, 09:18   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: wifi dropout

Probably needs to be replaced.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 11:40   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Probably needs to be replaced.

I hope that doesn't prove to be the case, I like being able to pipe the output around the house via the scart socket.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:41   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I hope that doesn't prove to be the case, I like being able to pipe the output around the house via the scart socket.

Whats a scart socket got to do with a SH2?
Old 23-11-2018, 13:35   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Whats a scart socket got to do with a SH2?

It had HDMI out and scart out. So scart> scart to RF modulator> rf distributor. I can watch same programme in different rooms (which boils down to footy in bed when others are watching I'm a celeb on freeview downstairs)

Doh....sorry just ignore me, only had a few hours sleep last night, don't know my superhubs from my Tivos.

Last edited by daveeb; 23-11-2018 at 13:46.
Old 23-11-2018, 17:01   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I read your post as you having issues with your SH2 based on the title as there is no reference to the Tivo.
Old 23-11-2018, 17:04   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I read your post as you having issues with your SH2 based on the title as there is no reference to the Tivo.

You're quite right, the issue is a shub2 problem. I think I must have been dropping off as I waffled on about the Tivo.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:10   #8
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There is aknown issue (for the past 3 years) with the SH2 when it does this from time to time.

Got to the VM forum and within a week or so the VM bods will offer you a replacement. Mention that the SH2 WiFi bug has caught up with you and, of course, that wired works during the episode.

You'll get a Hub 3 which is now a respectable device.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 00:48   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There is aknown issue (for the past 3 years) with the SH2 when it does this from time to time.

Got to the VM forum and within a week or so the VM bods will offer you a replacement. Mention that the SH2 WiFi bug has caught up with you and, of course, that wired works during the episode.

You'll get a Hub 3 which is now a respectable device.

Cheers Seph, been there already and registered the problem. As you say i''ll give it a week to hear from them or if the problem escalates i'll give retentions a ring to speed things up.
Old 24-11-2018, 11:15   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Cheers Seph, been there already and registered the problem. As you say i''ll give it a week to hear from them or if the problem escalates i'll give retentions a ring to speed things up.

It maybe a good idea to ring retentions now seeing the Black Friday deals are still live.
Old 24-11-2018, 13:10   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It maybe a good idea to ring retentions now seeing the Black Friday deals are still live.

Funnily enough I've just got off the phone with them as they messed my November bill up and I had to sort that out which took the best part of 20 minutes. I had to battle to retain my original quoted deal so I doubt they'd have given me a better deal under the circumstances.

As for the initial wifi problem it hasn't happened for 36 hours (touches wood) so i'll hang fire and maybe try to sort everything in one call if/when it happens again.
Old 24-11-2018, 13:55   #12
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Seriously, dump the SH2 - it is not a good device.

Old 24-11-2018, 16:03   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

this is actually a blessing in disguise, the black Friday deals on Amazon are absolutely fantastic and now is the perfect time for you to buy a proper router so you don't keep having these problems. It might not be the biggest problem in the world but it is annoying enough that you have a) noticed it and b) taken the time to write on the forum. Don't waste anymore time on it (or on the phone to India) and fix it once and for all.

If in doubt have a quick scan through this thread.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 16:16   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
this is actually a blessing in disguise, the black Friday deals on Amazon are absolutely fantastic and now is the perfect time for you to buy a proper router so you don't keep having these problems. It might not be the biggest problem in the world but it is annoying enough that you have a) noticed it and b) taken the time to write on the forum. Don't waste anymore time on it (or on the phone to India) and fix it once and for all.

If in doubt have a quick scan through this thread.

Do you still like Linksys or is Asus the way to go these days.
I had an old Linksys E3200 which was good until it sadly passed away so I reverted to shub 2 wifi and to be honest it has been OK, although we're in a smallish house so don't really ask too much of it distance wise.

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Seriously, dump the SH2 - it is not a good device.

I'm starting to lean towards that idea Seph.
Old 24-11-2018, 16:21   #15
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Do you still like Linksys or is Asus the way to go these days.
I had an old Linksys E3200 which was good until it sadly passed away so I reverted to shub 2 wifi and to be honest it has been OK, although we're in a smallish house so don't really ask too much of it distance wise.

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

I'm starting to lean towards that idea Seph.

The SH2 will be OK in modem mode. I'm an ASUS fan; mon General likes Linksys.