Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 02-02-2019, 13:35   #166
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's a point of view, there are others, which should be heard. I think you and many others want a broadcaster that only reflects your views. [SEPH]: Not me, Squire. I don't like to see the bias that the BBC displays on topical items.

The Govt. has done nothing less than try to bully the BBC since 2010, with the threat of hitting funding if they don't comply. It'll be a sad day if they submit and we don't have independent reporting any longer.

Getting back to funding, freezing the licence fee for 6 years has led to more repeats and the loss of BBC3. As with everything else pay less, get less. Blame HM Govt., not the BBC [SEPH]: Other than the political bias, the BBC is pretty much doing fine.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2019, 15:10   #167
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Strange how, if the BBC is "anti-Brexit", it is often labelled "the Brexit Broadcasting Service" on lots of Leaver social media, and on websites like "Order-Order", which are very pro-Brexit.

Seems to be in the eyes of the beholder...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 15:14   #168
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange how, if the BBC is "anti-Brexit", it is often labelled "the Brexit Broadcasting Service" on lots of Leaver social media, and on websites like "Order-Order", which are very pro-Brexit.

Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.
Old 02-02-2019, 15:50   #169
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.
Mmmm - wonder how it manages to be both?
Old 02-02-2019, 18:58   #170
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ence-year.html

'Netflix effect' sees nearly a MILLION Britons cancel their TV licence in last year as viewers ditch BBC in favour of streaming services
Thank you, Jimmy. Unfortunately, all the evidence in the world will not shake Chris and jfman from their infathomable beliefs that our future world will not look rather different from today.

Digital technology is moving at such a speed that a lot of people find it difficult to keep up. That's fair enough, but to keep challenging the clear trends that are happening and have been evidenced without any facts to support the challenge is tiresome and futile. In my humble opinion.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 19:59   #171
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Err ... I asked you to cite your source for the evidence that switching from a licence to a subscription would result in only a small reduction in payers. The item from the Daily Wail - aside from having all the academic credentials of a public urinal - addresses a different issue entirely. So stop pretending we don’t all know you’re just making stuff up and try harder.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 20:25   #172
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

The same article, but in the Times - they had a line the Fail missed out.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/v...hold-fj3lfgk9c

Quote:
Television licences are compulsory for anyone who watches live television or uses the BBC’s iPlayer catch-up service. As of March last year 25.8 million licences were held, a record high driven largely by population growth.
Old 02-02-2019, 20:33   #173
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The same article, but in the Times - they had a line the Fail missed out.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/v...hold-fj3lfgk9c
Funnily enough, the Wail article does eventually admit to the fact that the high number of cancellations is in large part due to house moves and singletons getting married and moving in together. The number they quoted is an absolute number of cancellations, not a reduction in the overall total. The only useful thing you can do with the figure the Mail has quoted is use it alongside the figure for new licence fee payers to arrive at the total number of TV licences held. Oddly the Mail hasn’t done so. Can’t think why.

But frankly it’s a waste of pixels pointing this out to OB because it’s facts and evidence, which he wouldn’t understand if it came accompanied with a copy of Facts And Evidence For Dummies.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 12:12   #174
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

The BBC,in my opinion, is stuck in the past and the license fee is likewise. It must be scrapped and forced into a subscription service. People argue that it would cost too much and the quality of programs would suffer. I disagree. The money raised through subs plus advertising revenue would provide more than enough for them to make or buy good programs. Also,if they stopped paying the likes of Gary Lineker silly money for jobs that anyone could do they'd save a hell of a lot of money.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 12:33   #175
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thank you, Jimmy. Unfortunately, all the evidence in the world will not shake Chris and jfman from their infathomable beliefs that our future world will not look rather different from today.

Digital technology is moving at such a speed that a lot of people find it difficult to keep up. That's fair enough, but to keep challenging the clear trends that are happening and have been evidenced without any facts to support the challenge is tiresome and futile. In my humble opinion.
If you have any clear evidenced trends I’d certainly like to read them.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 13:23   #176
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
The BBC,in my opinion, is stuck in the past and the license fee is likewise. It must be scrapped and forced into a subscription service. People argue that it would cost too much and the quality of programs would suffer. I disagree. The money raised through subs plus advertising revenue would provide more than enough for them to make or buy good programs. Also,if they stopped paying the likes of Gary Lineker silly money for jobs that anyone could do they'd save a hell of a lot of money.
The BBC is indeed stuck in the past but if they were on a subscription model, they would die - unless they can compete with the likes of Amazon & Netflix which they can’t because they would also have to fund the PBS side of things like the News, QT, etc and would thus be uncompetitive.

Old 17-02-2019, 15:23   #177
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Err ... I asked you to cite your source for the evidence that switching from a licence to a subscription would result in only a small reduction in payers. The item from the Daily Wail - aside from having all the academic credentials of a public urinal - addresses a different issue entirely. So stop pretending we don’t all know you’re just making stuff up and try harder.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote:

Which underlines the point that the BBC is actually doing the job it is supposed to when all sides accuse it of bias.
Old 17-02-2019, 16:19   #178
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I do happen to think there is bias at the BBC. My subjective view is based on editorial choice when bad news is reported and attributed to Brexit when that is not the only cause. Rarely/never do they attribute economic good news to “despite Brexit”. I’ve also noticed panel bias on QT.

Old 17-02-2019, 16:37   #179
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I do happen to think there is bias at the BBC. My subjective view is based on editorial choice when bad news is reported and attributed to Brexit when that is not the only cause. Rarely/never do they attribute economic good news to “despite Brexit”. I’ve also noticed panel bias on QT.
You noticed that as well!

Nigel Farage appeared 32 times since 2000, and UKIP appeared in 24% of the QT shows in 7 years, despite never having more than 2 MPs, and there hasn’t been a pro-EU MEP on QT since 2002.

Definite bias...
Old 17-02-2019, 16:54   #180
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
You noticed that as well!

Nigel Farage appeared 32 times since 2000, and UKIP appeared in 24% of the QT shows in 7 years, despite never having more than 2 MPs, and there hasn’t been a pro-EU MEP on QT since 2002.

Definite bias...
Maybe I should have said since 2016.