Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 17-12-2018, 07:49   #5176
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit

Good question.

I’d prefer (a) because at least we’d be out & can chuck the deal if they Macron’d the trade negotiations.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2018, 08:32   #5177
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Meanwhile, in other “I know you don’t believe me but there really isn’t going to be another referendum, please stop making yourself look silly” news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46586673

Quote:
Holding another referendum on the EU would "break faith with the British people", Theresa May will warn MPs.

Former PMs John Major and Tony Blair are among those urging a new referendum if MPs cannot agree on a way forward.

But the prime minister will argue that it would do "irreparable damage to the integrity of our politics" and would "likely leave us no further forward".
This is the contents of a speech to be delivered later today. Though I doubt it’ll make much difference to those who have totally bought into the idea that she’s going to call a referendum and everything that points to the contrary is just some kind of strategy.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:41   #5178
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Meanwhile, in other “I know you don’t believe me but there really isn’t going to be another referendum, please stop making yourself look silly” news:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46586673

This is the contents of a speech to be delivered later today. Though I doubt it’ll make much difference to those who have totally bought into the idea that she’s going to call a referendum and everything that points to the contrary is just some kind of strategy.
You have to accept the woman has form on U-turns."U-turn if you want to, but Theresa May will turn first."
Personally, I don't think a referendum is desirable or practical then again, that's what I said about Brexit.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 17-12-2018 at 08:49.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:44   #5179
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You have to accept the woman has form on U-turns.
Personally, I don't think a referendum is desirable or practice then again, that's what I said about Brexit.
I think your evidence evaluation and weighing skills are operating at a sub-optimal level.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:59   #5180
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So if the British people vote to overturn the previous vote of the British people, the British people are breaking the faith of the British people?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:59   #5181
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

She is going to say either way. At least until her deal is voted down.

But the suggestion is that the government is intentionally stoking up the idea of a referendum to scare the Brexit contingent into backing May's deal or losing Brexit entirely. Although it also encourages Remains to think it's within their grasp.

I don't think she has a plan B and if her deal is voted down then who knows what happened.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:19   #5182
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I agree that it may appear like a leap of faith that May is saying one thing, but really intending to do another. That said, I don’t think her cabinet are going rogue of their own accord.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:22   #5183
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So if the British people vote to overturn the previous vote of the British people, the British people are breaking the faith of the British people?
Er no - the obvious thing you're choosing to ignore, deliberately, I might add, is that you do not keep having the same vote over and over again because you did not like the result of the first. We had a referendum, the UK voted to leave the EU, that is exactly what should happen.

A second referendum, AKA the losers vote, would be for the democracy abusers trying to thwart the first result.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:24   #5184
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The loser’s vote, which I will term the “well-informed vote” will be a more up to date reflection of democracy than the old one.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:27   #5185
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The loser’s vote, which I will term the “well-informed vote” will be a more up to date reflection of democracy than the old one.
We don't need an uptodate reflection. We need to get on with enacting the first result and leaving FFS!
Old 17-12-2018, 09:29   #5186
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

[Admin Insert: Please See: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=5191 - Thanks]
Old 17-12-2018, 09:29   #5187
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I don’t see why we need to get on with it. In the present form it doesn’t represent what was promised before, Parliament can’t agree, and such an important decision requires taking the time and effort to ensure we make the right decision.

Rushing the A50 vote through has got us into this mess.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:34   #5188
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t see why we need to get on with it. In the present form it doesn’t represent what was promised before, Parliament can’t agree, and such an important decision requires taking the time and effort to ensure we make the right decision.
I suspect millions of People did not vote to leave based on promises made, I certainly did not - I took absolutely no notice of ANY campaigns because my mind was made up for leaving years before any campaigns began.

Parliament is full of Pro EU loons who are putting their own personal beliefs before the peoples, who gave them an instruction to leave the EU and yes I say instruction because that is what they did, they passed the sovereign choice to us to decide and we decided to leave the EU, (I will not be told otherwise by anybody!!!).
Old 17-12-2018, 09:35   #5189
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
We don't need an uptodate reflection. We need to get on with enacting the first result and leaving FFS!
Well suddenly every is talking about another referendum, even its opponents, which show its now very much on the agenda. TM now paranoidly bleating about it, probably means its on the cards - she also claimed there wouldn't be an election last time !

'Slowly, slowly catchy monkey'...........
Old 17-12-2018, 09:37   #5190
jfman
Architect of Ideas

So there’s no way of quantifying how many of the 17.4 million were swayed by any of the campaigns. It’s also a betrayal of everyone in this country regardless of how they voted, or even if they voted, to crash out for ideological reasons and not leave in a controlled manner.

I’d prefer to take five years and get it right than three further months and get it massively wrong. That said, for those it was about immigration it’s only a date they see as a line in the sand.
Closed Thread