Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2018, 13:28   #2521
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
In the absence of any deal to have Eleven on any major platform ahead of their biggest event one can only hope they go bust sooner rather than later.
That's nice, I subscribe to Eleven because I follow Serie A, apart from not showing every game I'm really happy with the service but yeah let's hope they go bust because Sky didn't want La Liga, makes loads of sense that

For what it's worth I watched most of the Clasico yesterday, as usual the PQ was perfectly fine on my TV via Chromecast and the stream was completely solid with zero buffering

Again I hear people saying the stream was behind real time but again I'm not sure how I would be aware of that just from watching the game
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2018, 13:35   #2522
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Best way to check that the stream is behind real time is to check on Twitter as basically goals are up there as soon as they score and then compare that to your stream.
Old 29-10-2018, 17:57   #2523
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
That's nice, I subscribe to Eleven because I follow Serie A, apart from not showing every game I'm really happy with the service but yeah let's hope they go bust because Sky didn't want La Liga, makes loads of sense that

For what it's worth I watched most of the Clasico yesterday, as usual the PQ was perfectly fine on my TV via Chromecast and the stream was completely solid with zero buffering

Again I hear people saying the stream was behind real time but again I'm not sure how I would be aware of that just from watching the game
I haven't subscribed because I have little interest in sport, but I don't selfishly & spitefully hope that Eleven Sports go bust. There are investors, members of staff and customers like yourself (especially those who have paid in advance) to consider.
Old 29-10-2018, 18:17   #2524
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Best way to check that the stream is behind real time is to check on Twitter as basically goals are up there as soon as they score and then compare that to your stream.
If you are watching a live broadcast of a match why on earth would you look at Twitter to see if anyone has scored - look at the screen!
Old 29-10-2018, 18:24   #2525
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
If you are watching a live broadcast of a match why on earth would you look at Twitter to see if anyone has scored - look at the screen!
He was talking about the stream possibly being behind real time and l advised him one of the ways you can check if the stream is behind the stream time.
Old 29-10-2018, 19:25   #2526
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m not obliged to hope every capitalist enterprise succeeds. Indeed the value of capitalism is that failure isn’t rewarded, allowing those who fail the opportunity to refocus their efforts elsewhere and those who succeed to continue.

Literally nobody believes they will break even with their current model.

They’re almost certainly now hoping Amazon but them as an easy mechanism to buy the rights they hold.
Old 29-10-2018, 19:33   #2527
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I’m not obliged to hope every capitalist enterprise succeeds. Indeed the value of capitalism is that failure isn’t rewarded, allowing those who fail the opportunity to refocus their efforts elsewhere and those who succeed to continue.

They’re almost certainly now hoping Amazon but them as an easy mechanism to buy the rights they hold.
Or possibly sky decide to get the rights back on the cheap. Another alternative might be Premier Sports - but they seem to be stretching themselves a bit with purchasing the Pro-14 rights
Old 29-10-2018, 19:35   #2528
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

Not a chance given their current model.
Old 29-10-2018, 19:44   #2529
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Quote:
This is my point, if I'm watching a game I don't care if its 10, 30 or 60 seconds behind, it's just not something that enters my head
Old 29-10-2018, 21:41   #2530
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Quote:
Or possibly sky decide to get the rights back on the cheap. Another alternative might be Premier Sports - but they seem to be stretching themselves a bit with purchasing the Pro-14 rights
Sky don’t reward failure.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I haven't subscribed because I have little interest in sport, but I don't selfishly & spitefully hope that Eleven Sports go bust. There are investors, members of staff and customers like yourself (especially those who have paid in advance) to consider.
It’s neither selfish or spiteful to hope failing ventures do just that. It distorts markets when new entrants with no business model throw money around, fail, and leave others to pick up the tab.

The people to genuinely feel sorry for are those who lose their jobs at the companies who have credible business models, or if/when Eleven fail those clubs who spent money on the basis of that income that is never realised.

It took EFL clubs years to recover from budgeting in good faith on the basis of ITV Digital income that never came to pass.

I have no reason to sympathise with their investors any more than a gambler who loses money at a roulette wheel. They have their eyes open.

Last edited by jfman; 29-10-2018 at 21:51.
Old 29-10-2018, 23:04   #2531
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Sky's CEO Jeremy Darroch said on an investors call that they intend to reduce the number of linear entertainment channels. No specific channel names were given.

Spreading rumours as if they were facts based purely on speculation is not helpful.
No rumours being spread, just quoting what was said here:
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/...rtainment.html
Old 30-10-2018, 13:09   #2532
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
No rumours being spread, just quoting what was said here:
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/10/...rtainment.html
If you read it carefully, it says:

'the names of the channels that he intends to cut were not revealed'

The editor of the website then speculates what he/she thinks might happen.
Old 30-10-2018, 13:11   #2533
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
If you read it carefully
That’s a big ask!
Old 30-10-2018, 16:50   #2534
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It's always a shame when people are indifferent to the fate and losses of others should a particular venture fail, particularly when they actually hope that it will.
Old 30-10-2018, 17:12   #2535
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Such a laughable assertion. An organisation with a failing business model deserves to fail. One that actively pushes up prices for consumers even more so.

Investments aren’t noble, charitable contributions for the greater good of all mankind. They are gambles, like roulette or the 16:45 at Wolverhampton.

Your statement that it’s always a shame would presumably extend to government contractors such as Atos Healthcare, Capita and global weapons manufacturers.
Closed Thread