Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The PS4 Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

The PS4 Thread
View Poll Results: Will you buy the ps4
Never 25 28.09%
Maybe 22 24.72%
Defo 37 41.57%
No sure 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-10-2013, 17:24   #166
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: The PS4 Thread

Drive Club delayed until 2014. Not really surprising as they will need until at least 2014 to rectify the fact that it looks just a bit crap.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2013, 16:36   #167
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer

Seems like Sony are preventing any play of their console until the thing ships, or just before it ships, and any reviews will be done in staged environments.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 00:09   #168
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

The bad stuff about the ps4 is now getting dug up, apparently it can't play audio CDs or mp3!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...north-america/
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 22:33   #169
Dr Gonzo
Inactive

Services: VM TV XL, Tivo 1TB, 60Mb BB Phone XL
Dr Gonzo is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I use my PS3 to play games and watch blu-rays. I have a laptop with a 1Tb hard drive to store my music and mobile phones and mp3 players to play music.

I know a lot of people that store music & photo's on their PS3, but this is being marketed as a Next Gen Games Console. Not a Home Entertainment System.

What I am surprised at is the day one update to allow blu-ray playback, also 5400 rpm HDD. Would have liked a 7200 or SSD. But if 5400 cuts down on cost then so be it.

I'd imagine that 6 months to 1 year after launch there will be a 1Tb or larger variation.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 00:44   #170
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
The bad stuff about the ps4 is now getting dug up, apparently it can't play audio CDs or mp3!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...north-america/
... and also no DLNA support, so no streaming media from a computer to the PS4, unlike with the PS3
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12   #171
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

They don't want you to stream your media onto it. They want you to pay them to play media via their steaming and download services. Expect the same with the Xbox One.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52   #172
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They don't want you to stream your media onto it. They want you to pay them to play media via their steaming and download services. Expect the same with the Xbox One.
You can't use the Xbox One as a media extender MS have said.

Matt and Damien are you guys buying a PS4 or an Xbox or both? and Matt i know you went to the same show as me what were your impressions on the PS4 compared to the X1?
Old 01-11-2013, 13:11   #173
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You can't use the Xbox One as a media extender MS have said.
Got a link to that? I know Major Nelson was looking into stuff like that but I don't believe he posted anything.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 13:12   #174
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Got a link to that? I know Major Nelson was looking into stuff like that but I don't believe he posted anything.
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...enter-extender
Old 01-11-2013, 13:36   #175
cimt

That doesn't mention anything about streaming from your PC or anything though.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:41   #176
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
That doesn't mention anything about streaming from your PC or anything though.
That is exactly what it means i think, that is what a media center extender does, it streams from the Media Centre on a compatible OS PC to the Xbox and the X1 can't so that, as it isn't a 'media centre extender'.

Luckily i don't use it i use a network drive.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/0...about-xbox-one

Quote:
Will Xbox One work as a Windows Media Center Extender? For those that use a PC with TV tuner to record and watch TV, we use the 360 as an extender to stream this content to TVs. Will this continue with Xbox One?
WHITTEN: Xbox One isn’t a native Media Center Extender. We’ll continue to work to enable more ways for everyone to get the television they want over the life of the program.
Anyway i guess this should be in the X1 thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:49   #177
cimt

On the 360 and PS3 you don't need to use MC to stream stuff. If you use something like PS3 Media Server or actually set the right folders up to share then you can stream stuff without using WMC.
Old 01-11-2013, 13:53   #178
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
On the 360 and PS3 you don't need to use MC to stream stuff. If you use something like PS3 Media Server or actually set the right folders up to share then you can stream stuff without using WMC.
I know but this is talking about the native 'Windows Media Centre Extender' it does not exist now for the X1, you can not have your movies on the PC and use it like you could on the 360, not sure if another app on a PC would work on the X1 it is a wait and see game i guess.

I am not sure who does that now though with a network drive all the rage.
Old 01-11-2013, 20:29   #179
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've never used the Media Centre Extender stuff for my 360. Never seen the point when you could just run a DLNA server on your PC (like PS3MediaServer or TVersity) and stream using that.

So long as the Xbox One still supports DLNA and mp4 etc. like the 360, there will be no need for Media Centre Extender functions if all you want is streaming.

And getting back to the PS4 Hopefully Sony will listen to the fans and give the PS4 the same support the PS3 has!
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:56   #180
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I've never used the Media Centre Extender stuff for my 360. Never seen the point when you could just run a DLNA server on your PC (like PS3MediaServer or TVersity) and stream using that.

So long as the Xbox One still supports DLNA and mp4 etc. like the 360, there will be no need for Media Centre Extender functions if all you want is streaming.

And getting back to the PS4 Hopefully Sony will listen to the fans and give the PS4 the same support the PS3 has!
Rumour - Sony will add support for mp3 and DLNA in a 2nd PS4 update.

http://n4g.com/news/1384779/mp3-supp...2nd-ps4-update

Incase anyone has missed it, there is no support for external HDDs on the PS4, and it isn't currently planned but atleast they let you put a bigger internal drive in the PS4.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/11...ives-revealed/