Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 00:55   #7741
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
in a way ,yes....snip...
Ok, thank you popper Incidentally, no sign of 80/20 Thinking these days; I wonder if they are all thunked out? Perhaps Simon realises the once much awaited PIA is already yesterday's fish and chip paper.
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2008, 01:21   #7742
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

It depresses me that PI, who would normally have been all over this, have been neutered due to the 80/20 involvement. At the time when the public finally are waking up to how the internet has the ability to profile them, the group we most want to defend us has sold out.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31   #7743
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
it seems everyone missed the Click! 2.28 second coverage of Phorm on their security show update this morning.

they do seem intent on putting the Phorm case and the emails they chose for the Anti-Phorm case were very weak to say the least, but here it is anyway.

full size AVC (H.264,Mpeg4-part10) 2.28 clip
http://www.divshare.com/download/4627159-d39

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/new...23_16x9_bb.asx

Linux/OtherOS VLC users direct link cut and paste the full url as its got a carrage return in it to keep it from scrolling off the browser screen.

mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/science_nature/
video/177000/bb/177023_16x9_bb.wmv

LOL

PhormPR wrote into Click pretending to be an honest Joe. We know who you are Demi Tait
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43   #7744
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
It depresses me that PI, who would normally have been all over this, have been neutered due to the 80/20 involvement. At the time when the public finally are waking up to how the internet has the ability to profile them, the group we most want to defend us has sold out.
They say prostitution is the oldest profession
Old 01-06-2008, 01:45   #7745
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post

"sold out" how much do you reckon? 30 pieces of silver? What happened to the guy that sold out for 30 pieces of silver, what happened when he had to deal with his guilty conscience?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52   #7746
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
"sold out" how much do you reckon? 30 pieces of silver? What happened to the guy that sold out for 30 pieces of silver, what happened when he had to deal with his guilty conscience?
Money talks I guess
Old 01-06-2008, 03:14   #7747
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

i assume the auto responder CurrentTV bot sent this, so i thought id let you see it and perhaps help make Alexanders news post get some TV Air time.

now might also be a good time to make (one of many in the future)and link directly in to the NoDPI story page, a short section "Anti-Phorm video" outlining the bits we want people to know about etc, or even place it on CurrentTV directly also.

the other currentTV story #7738 could do with some comments to fill it out too, as only one person there so far has commented on this story.

"...
An item that you submitted to Current has gained enough momentum to be featured on the US homepage. It was posted on the homepage at May 31, 2008 4:02:35 PM.
Check it out: http://current.com/items/88992107_ico_rubber_stamp_corporate_law_breaking
But wait-it gets better! Getting on the homepage means your submission is being considered for inclusion in our Current News pod, an open, participatory newscast on the web and Current TV.

How do you get your item included in Current News? Your votes, comments and sharing activity all merge together in our algorithmic soup to bubble up the most fascinating content to the top of the Current.com homepage.

Use the send button to let your friends know about your awesome post and encourage them to vote on your submission, and improve your chances of making it to air.

You can also include a link on your Myspace, Facebook, blog, or other social networking sites-tell everyone to come vote for you!

Don't forget to check the timer on the homepage, so you know how much time is left before the next item is chosen for Current News.

Want to improve your chances of getting on TV? Use the share button to let your friends know about your awesome post and encourage them to vote on your submission.
Best,
The Online Community Team "
Old 01-06-2008, 04:23   #7748
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
i assume the auto responder CurrentTV bot sent this, so i thought id let you see it and perhaps help make Alexanders news post get some TV Air time.

now might also be a good time to make (one of many in the future)and link directly in to the NoDPI story page, a short section "Anti-Phorm video" outlining the bits we want people to know about etc, or even place it on CurrentTV directly also.

the other currentTV story #7738 could do with some comments to fill it out too, as only one person there so far has commented on this story.

"...
An item that you submitted to Current has gained enough momentum to be featured on the US homepage. It was posted on the homepage at May 31, 2008 4:02:35 PM.
Check it out: http://current.com/items/88992107_ico_rubber_stamp_corporate_law_breaking
But wait-it gets better! Getting on the homepage means your submission is being considered for inclusion in our Current News pod, an open, participatory newscast on the web and Current TV.

How do you get your item included in Current News? Your votes, comments and sharing activity all merge together in our algorithmic soup to bubble up the most fascinating content to the top of the Current.com homepage.

Use the send button to let your friends know about your awesome post and encourage them to vote on your submission, and improve your chances of making it to air.

You can also include a link on your Myspace, Facebook, blog, or other social networking sites-tell everyone to come vote for you!

Don't forget to check the timer on the homepage, so you know how much time is left before the next item is chosen for Current News.

Want to improve your chances of getting on TV? Use the share button to let your friends know about your awesome post and encourage them to vote on your submission.
Best,
The Online Community Team "
Commented.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-06-2008, 06:35   #7749
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

yeah Alexander, i just noticed i got an email notice with your comment, the site is showing 3 replys (including mine) were made ,BUT i dont see your reply there, odd, do you see it?

http://current.com/items/88992107_ic...e_law_breaking
if anyone wants to join CurrentTV and take a look etc

also im only seeing 3 of 5 reported comments on
http://digg.com/politics/ICO_Rubber_...e_Law_Breaking

and 9 of 17 on
http://digg.com/tech_news/No_DPI_web..._Protest_Event

somethings not right, im looking on 3 seperate browsers on one machine,and im about to look on one of the other machines to see if its this OS being effected.....
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41   #7750
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
yeah Alexander, i just noticed i got an email notice with your comment, the site is showing 3 replys (including mine) were made ,BUT i dont see your reply there, odd, do you see it?

http://current.com/items/88992107_ic...e_law_breaking
if anyone wants to join CurrentTV and take a look etc

also im only seeing 3 of 5 reported comments on
http://digg.com/politics/ICO_Rubber_...e_Law_Breaking
Click the "One response to this" image under the top comment on the CurrentTV one.

As for Digg, I dunno about that I have the same problem and had the same problem with the article I posted yesterday too regarding the protest. I think Digg comments might be bugged.

I just reposted my comment on current.tv so that it appears as a new comment as opposed to a reply to the other comment.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58   #7751
popper
Inactive

doh! , that + was it , yes, i can see your post there now.

you are right about Digg, i looked on one of the new installed SP3 machines here (and a slax liveCD browser) and it appears eather the Digg is broke or the people did something wrong when they posted so its not showing up but registered as a reply....
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03   #7752
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
doh! , that + was it , yes, i can see your post there now.

you are right about Digg, i looked on one of the new installed SP3 machines here (and a slax liveCD browser) and it appears eather the Digg is broke or the people did something wrong when they posted so its not showing up but registered as a reply....
I checked it from multiple machines yesterday and had the same problem. I even made a comment about it on the Protest story.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57   #7753
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I have gone out on a bit of a limb here, but hey you never know unless you ask

Quote:
Dear Mr Gates,

I am writing to you from the UK to bring to your attention a very high profile issue regarding privacy.

I am not sure if you aware, but over the past 3 months plans by the top 3 UK ISPs (BT, Virgin Media and Car Phone Warehouse) to deploy Deep Packet Inspection technology by Phorm Inc. have caused a storm with leading academics, privacy advocates, press, media, MPs, MEPs, European Commission, Peers in the House of Lords and the general public as a whole. The plan is to use the technology to intercept all web communications sent over port 80 using the HTTP protocol, in order to build profiles of their customers and then sell these details to advertisers via Phorm for behavioural advertising.

This technology (used for this purpose) has been stated as illegal by legal experts and politicians and breaches the public's fundamental human rights under the European Convention on Human Rights (Articles 7 and 8) and as a result of the negative publicity over the past 3 months, Phorm Inc's share price has plummeted by 70% reducing their market capital by some $600 million USD. But this is not enough and plans are still ongoing to deploy this technology across 70% of the UK broadband market.

I have personally been leading the campaign against Phorm and have made numerous appearances in the press and media as well as attending a Privacy Impact Assessment public meeting at the London School of Economics in April as a guest speaker. I am now in the process of organising a public protest rally at the BT annual shareholder's meeting in London on July 16th. I recently published my dissertation on the legal issues surrounding covert trials BT carried out on as many as 138 000 customers during 2006/2007 (which you can find linked to at the end of this email) and this protest will address not only the future plans to deploy Phorm but also these covert trials.

I am just one person and I have very little money (I am about to graduate from university and have a child and mortgage) so I am seeking corporate sponsorship for the event to help publicise it in the national press, print material for the event and hire equipment to allow us to have guest speakers at the event; this is the purpose of my email to you.

I feel this would be a very good publicity move for Microsoft or yourself personally if you choose to sponsor the event in your own name as opposed to Microsoft. I have already managed to achieve significant press interest and if I were to announce a major sponsor it would undoubtedly make news headlines across the country and probably Europe and the US as well.

If you have any question or would like to discuss this further with me, please do not hesitate to email me on this address. I have included a number of links below to give you some further information.

My Dissertation - http://www.paladine.org.uk/phorm_paper.pdf
Comprehensive list of articles by Chris Williams at The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/
Video of my speech at London School of Economics - http://www.tobymeres.net/ (bottom video in the list)
Foundation for Information Policy Research papers - http://www.fipr.org/press/080423phorm.html
Event Web Site - http://nodpi.org
News article on the event - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...phorm_protest/

Quote from Kim Cameron - Chief Architect of Identity in the Connected Systems Division at Microsoft

"I have to admit to a sense of horror when I realized the system rewards ISPs for abusing their trusted role in the Internet by improperly posing as other peoples’ domains in order to create fraudulent cookies and place them on users machines."
source: http://www.identityblog.com/?p=951

I thank you for your time on this matter and look forward to hearing your response. Of course if you do choose to sponsor the event, full credit will be given on the web site and printed material, furthermore, if Microsoft would like to send a representative to speak out against this intrusive technology at the event, I would be honoured to add them to the confirmed speakers list.

Sincerely,

Alexander Hanff
University of Cumbria
Alexander Hanff
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15   #7754
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

anyone noticed the modereators over on the BT forum seems to have gone silent,

and i have not noticed any posts being edited or removed lately?

perhaps they are actually watching the progress and it is ringing alarm bells with them?

peter
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25   #7755
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
...and i have not noticed any posts being edited or removed lately?
If they resume edits of posts then they would do well to start with the first post LOL...

http://beta.bt.com/bta/forums/thread...=2612&tstart=0

I'm sure you know the one - from Adam Liversage:

"BT will begin technical trials of the BT Webwise service from mid-March, 2008. We will be inviting around 10,000 BT broadband customers to take part in the trial." LOL. ROFL.

Hank

Closed Thread