Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 08-09-2020, 11:44   #346
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not really ... Tony Hall agrees a universal precept is a means of doing it, nothing I’ve said above contradicts that. I’m thinking more along the lines of which authority should collect and distribute money collected in that way. I think it would be politically awkward for the BBC to do so directly.
Ah yeah i see what you mean now, totally agree with you.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:49   #347
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Dude ... this is where you come unstuck, just pasting endless links to other sites and expecting other people to make inferences and draw conclusions for you. What the merry heck has Austria got to do with anything? And why is it my job to answer that for you?

We're a sovereign state and we can set up our tax affairs any way we like. If we want to create a Public Broadcasting Authority to precept district councils to collect the same amount of money from every household in the UK, then we can. Equally, if we think it's better for it to reflect ability to pay, we can tap in to the council tax banding mechanism. It's for us to decide.

Your point about who has to collect the debt is neither here nor there, seeing as the council is already collecting fire and police authority debt (in England and Wales) and water/sewage company debt (in Scotland). The council would still have to go through the same process even without any precepts because the vast bulk of the debt arises from the single largest figure on the bill, which is their own council tax.
The complaints commonly fielded include, "not watching the BBC" and being chased for non-payment. How does the BBC's DG claim about the German household tax fit in with that?
People currently dodge and are chased over council tax.
Link

Quote:
Regulation 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 allows magistrates to commit someone with council tax debt to prison. Individuals can be jailed for up to three months and, as it is a civil offence, they do not get a criminal record. While the prison term does not clear the debt, once someone has been imprisoned, the council cannot use further enforcement measures.
Campaigners have also criticised local authorities’ regular use of bailiffs to collect debts. Research by the Money Advice Trust found local authorities in England and Wales referred 2.3m debts to bailiffs in 2016-17, an increase of 14% on 2014-15.
Not seeing anywhere in Europe where the council are responsible for administering and collecting the "TV Licence". Simply not their responsibility.
Just pointing that adding to Council Tax doesn't solve the main complaints about the current system, and is far from being a viable solution.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:52   #348
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Again ... you're asking me to explain and defend other people's practices and opinions. Respectfully I point out that's your task, not mine.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:19   #349
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

So you didn't say this in post #324?
Quote:
It would be difficult politically to put a BBC precept on every council tax bill across the UK, however wholesale reform, creating a broadcasting authority with broad responsibility for public tv, radio and communications infrastructure and allowing that to set precepts might work.
And this in #327?
Quote:
Not really ... Tony Hall agrees a universal precept is a means of doing it, nothing I’ve said above contradicts that. I’m thinking more along the lines of which authority should collect and distribute money collected in that way. I think it would be politically awkward for the BBC to do so directly.
post #335.
Quote:
Changes in technology may now mean the licence fee mechanism is no longer fit for purpose but it does not follow that the concept of publicly funded, public service broadcasting is no longer fit for purpose. A different means of collecting public funds may be required, and a precept on council tax is a way of doing it.
Pointing out that it doesn't address the main complaints about the current system, and that no other European country(including Germany) use councils to collect it, is perfectly valid.

At least, when the question arose about the German household tax, I asked the question and did the research for, "how does it work", only to find it has no connection at all. It is the German system of registering your address that has any connection. In the UK, people often don't register a change of address to any authorities. Eg Somebody can be chased for council tax at their old address, because they haven't told the council they've moved out, and the new occupant hasn't told them they've moved in.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:37   #350
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Again ... what’s your point? All I’m seeing is you apparently suggesting we can only pick a carbon copy of something done in some other country already. But you’re so fond of massive lists of links and quotes it’s phenomenally hard to understand what you’re driving at.

It is possible for us -as we are a sovereign state with power to legislate over our tax system - to put a precept on council tax that collects the same amount of money from every household in the U.K. it just is. Nothing done in any other country affects that in any way.
Old 08-09-2020, 13:48   #351
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Chris's proposal makes sense to me and I'm not fussed by what our central European friends do.
The only obvious downside is that opposition parties could put charts and slogans in their election materials to state "under X party council tax has risen by X% during their term"
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:17   #352
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I've no problem with your logic - if it applied to an ideal situation.

The furore at the moment is about the obvious political bias, amounting to interference, that the BBC has demonstrated in recent years, coupled with an extreme wokeness that grates with the population at large.

Sort that out and the furore will die down.
It will never be sorted out, because, for some people*, unless the BBC totally agrees with and supports what their viewpoint is (and by corollary doesn’t show anything that disagrees with their viewpoint), it will be seen as "biased".

*this applies to all parts of the political spectrum
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:41   #353
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Regardless of how the money is spent, or by whom, the licence fee simply is not a simple subscription to the BBC.
Over 90% of the funding goes to the BBC. We can debate how the remaining 10% is raised.

Once again, I don't think anyone on here has suggested that the BBC is abolished. But we want to choose whether or not as individuals we pay for it.

I certainly would, and so would most others. But why should those who don't want it pay? That is the question.

I don't buy the 'quality assurance' angle, particularly when you look at all the junk you can find on there as well as the better stuff. If that's what people want, they will be prepared to pay for it.

I'm afraid I don't believe in the Nanny State. Maybe we should have a referendum on it!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:08   #354
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Chris's proposal makes sense to me and I'm not fussed by what our central European friends do.
The only obvious downside is that opposition parties could put charts and slogans in their election materials to state "under X party council tax has risen by X% during their term"
I'm sorry but I don't agree. What's the point of scrapping the TV license only to slap the cost onto another tax we all have to pay? That is just creative accounting and also shifts a tax burden onto those who genuinely do not have to pay for a TV license at present.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 15:13   #355
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Sell it.
Old 08-09-2020, 15:19   #356
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't agree. What's the point of scrapping the TV license only to slap the cost onto another tax we all have to pay? That is just creative accounting and also shifts a tax burden onto those who genuinely do not have to pay for a TV license at present.
Yes, and it doesn't address the argument that some people don't use these entertainment services. It is fundamentally unfair, and the Corporation also has an in-built advantage against its commercial rivals with the shedloads of money it gets from the licence fee.

I really don't see the logic of applying a national tax through the council tax, which by its very nature, is for local needs.

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It will never be sorted out, because, for some people*, unless the BBC totally agrees with and supports what their viewpoint is (and by corollary doesn’t show anything that disagrees with their viewpoint), it will be seen as "biased".

*this applies to all parts of the political spectrum
You are twisting it. The bias can be seen on programmes like 'Question Time', where those with opinions towards the right and towards Brexit are sneered at and cut off, whereas those to the left are allowed to drone on without interruption.

If you think that's balanced.....!
Old 08-09-2020, 15:29   #357
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, and it doesn't address the argument that some people don't use these entertainment services. It is fundamentally unfair, and the Corporation also has an in-built advantage against its commercial rivals with the shedloads of money it gets from the licence fee.

I really don't see the logic of applying a national tax through the council tax, which by its very nature, is for local needs.

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

You are twisting it. The bias can be seen on programmes like 'Question Time', where those with opinions towards the right and towards Brexit are sneered at and cut off, whereas those to the left are allowed to drone on without interruption.

If you think that's balanced.....!
If it's balanced in remains favour he'll be happy
Old 08-09-2020, 17:43   #358
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We are all Leavers now, but that doesn’t mean the Government shouldn’t be held to account for pushing through the WA Bill this year, only allowing 3 days debate on it, saying it was "an oven ready deal", and then complain later it wasn’t what they wanted.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 19:40   #359
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We are all Leavers now, but that doesn’t mean the Government shouldn’t be held to account for pushing through the WA Bill this year, only allowing 3 days debate on it, saying it was "an oven ready deal", and then complain later it wasn’t what they wanted.
Surely, the expectation, as included in the political declaration, was that there would be a no-tariff trade deal. The government is getting the impression the EU may take the surprising decision to renege on that. So the government is simply adjusting to accommodate that. Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Anyway, having got that sorted out, what's this got to do with the BBC?
Old 08-09-2020, 20:13   #360
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I suspect this was posted in the wrong thread accidentally. Let’s move along ...