Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable router Help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable router Help

Old 21-08-2008, 00:46   #1
Gopher
Inactive

Services: Tv XL Telephone XL BB XXL
Gopher is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable router Help

Can Anyone recommend a virgin cable compatible router that will allow Dual entry Port forwarding?

Currently I have to login in to router and change the ip address in the port forwarding, dependant whether I am using the PC or the Laptop.

My Current router ( Netgear WGT 624 ) will not allow duplication of ports for two different ip address's and I cannot configure for port triggering for the same reason.

IE. 192.168.1.2 Main Pc
and 192.168.1.3 Laptop

Many Thanks in advance
Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2008, 01:03   #2
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cable router Help

i doubt any router will allow forwarding ports to more than one IP
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 01:09   #3
Jelly Bean
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia
Jelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really nice

Double port forwarding
Double port forwarding can be done on a network with multiple routers. From the first router, ports from the public IP address are forwarded to another router/gateway's external IP address which in turn forwards them on to a host on the private network. [1]

Reverse port forwarding
Reverse port forwarding, or reverse port tunnelling, is done by two components, usually software-based, where one component acts as a session-server - listening on a session-port, while the other component acts as a session-client to the session-server component - connecting to the session-server. After a session is established, the session-server will often listen on (accept connections on) a port that is to be forwarded, and when a connection is made to this port, the connection traffic will be forwarded to the session-client (through the session-connection that was previously initiated by the session-client), usually with a destination of the session-client machine or another machine accessible from the session-client. A common situation where this type of forwarding is used is where a port needs to be accessed that is on a machine located behind a gateway/router or firewall that is not configurable by those wanting to access that port. This functionality is built-in to some implementations of SSH (Secure Shell), and there are also software systems available that are designed more specifically for this type of forwarding.
Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 01:13   #4
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
Double port forwarding
Double port forwarding can be done on a network with multiple routers. From the first router, ports from the public IP address are forwarded to another router/gateway's external IP address which in turn forwards them on to a host on the private network. [1]

Reverse port forwarding
Reverse port forwarding, or reverse port tunnelling, is done by two components, usually software-based, where one component acts as a session-server - listening on a session-port, while the other component acts as a session-client to the session-server component - connecting to the session-server. After a session is established, the session-server will often listen on (accept connections on) a port that is to be forwarded, and when a connection is made to this port, the connection traffic will be forwarded to the session-client (through the session-connection that was previously initiated by the session-client), usually with a destination of the session-client machine or another machine accessible from the session-client. A common situation where this type of forwarding is used is where a port needs to be accessed that is on a machine located behind a gateway/router or firewall that is not configurable by those wanting to access that port. This functionality is built-in to some implementations of SSH (Secure Shell), and there are also software systems available that are designed more specifically for this type of forwarding.
i dont think either of those match what the OP wants...
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 01:16   #5
Jelly Bean
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia
Jelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really nice

Well Dev at least I was trying.

Why two diffrent IPs?Just use a Proxy?

It can be done:http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/55...BALANCING.aspx

I am just a little tired at this time in the morning maybe shoot off to bed.
Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 10:01   #6
Gopher
Inactive

The Pc (XP) is Hard wired, and the laptop (Vista) is Wireless connection.
My Golf game Requires Ports 2300-2400 TCP/UDP, Port 6073-6073 TCP/UDP and Port 47624-47624 TCP/UDP.
I just wondered if there was a router that would allow dual entry of Ports to Different Ip addresses ? The Ip Addresses were assigned by router, It looks by the answers I am getting that this task is not as easy as I was Hoping; IE. (Buying a different Router). Oh well thanks for suggestions, it looks as though I will have to keep editing the P Forwarding Rules depending which machine is to be used.
Old 21-08-2008, 13:54   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I've never come across any item of domestic router kit that would allow such a thing. It goes against the whole basic principle of port forwarding.

Have you tried playing the game without forwarding in place?

You could try setting fixed IPs on the 'puters. It may be quicker to swap the fixed IPs rather than change all the port forwarding details.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 14:09   #8
Gopher
Inactive

If no ports forwarded then game will not allow other players to Join and will not allow me to join game at other peoples IP address
Old 21-08-2008, 14:16   #9
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
If no ports forwarded then game will not allow other players to Join and will not allow me to join game at other peoples IP address
Over to plan B then. Forward to ports to 192.168.1.4 then just set that as the fixed IP on whichever machine you wish to use.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote