Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 16-07-2019, 22:42   #421
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The SD, as you said, has been removed from Sky. I've not looked to see if FreeSat is swapping or replacing. And we'll soon see whether they keep it running off-guide or downscale the HD version for Freeview.
Freesports SD is still broadcasting on 11426 V 27500 5/6, even though it left Freesat & Sky yesterday.

I can't see them going to the expense of continuing this for SD only satellite boxes and/or Freeview though and expect it to eventually be removed and the HD feed downscaled for any SD feeds required.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2019, 23:30   #422
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Freesports SD is still broadcasting on 11426 V 27500 5/6, even though it left Freesat & Sky yesterday.

I can't see them going to the expense of continuing this for SD only satellite boxes and/or Freeview though and expect it to eventually be removed and the HD feed downscaled for any SD feeds required.
Quite. Will all depend on which is the cheapest way to distribute to Freeview for them.

Whether they get one of those recently vacated Freeview slots may indirectly play a part. If they don't get on a more permanent multiplex soon they may be gone from that platform when the two temporary multiplexes get switched off, I believe it could happen as early as 2021/2. They won't want to outlay money for a short term endeavour if they don't get long term space.

The only broadcaster that has confirmed wider Freeview coverage recently is, of course, Together TV. Given Smithsonian are running TV ads at the moment on other channels and in newspapers/magazines I suspect they have got one too. That leaves one left.

Funny how one platform can indirectly affect another.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 11:42   #423
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Smile Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Quite. Will all depend on which is the cheapest way to distribute to Freeview for them.

Whether they get one of those recently vacated Freeview slots may indirectly play a part. If they don't get on a more permanent multiplex soon they may be gone from that platform when the two temporary multiplexes get switched off, I believe it could happen as early as 2021/2. They won't want to outlay money for a short term endeavour if they don't get long term space.

The only broadcaster that has confirmed wider Freeview coverage recently is, of course, Together TV. Given Smithsonian are running TV ads at the moment on other channels and in newspapers/magazines I suspect they have got one too. That leaves one left.

Funny how one platform can indirectly affect another.
It is odd, but it's so often the case that what happens on one platform affects another. Didn't know Smithsonian had got a permanent Freeview slot
Old 17-07-2019, 15:14   #424
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It is odd, but it's so often the case that what happens on one platform affects another. Didn't know Smithsonian had got a permanent Freeview slot
I didn't say Smithsonian had, sorry if it read that way. I merely guessed it had based on the promo ads I've seen a lot on TV recently and print ads in magazines and newspapers.

The interesting thing with all these TV and newspaper adverts is that there were no channel numbers in any of them, just platform logos.

My logic was that if they are greatly upping their marketing they must have a reason.

I also think they might have got the True Crime channel numbers from Sony (on certain platforms, not all) by buying the channel. You can't trade numbers on Freeview, you need to own the channels to swap numbers and the Freeview status page said True Crime was temporarily away (like Keep It Country/Spotlight), as opposed to closed. And on Sky, Smithsonian were one of the few obvious big (relatively speaking budget wise) channels at that end of Sky's EPG that would want TC's number. Two birds one stone to coin the phrase.

So sorry if you read it that way, I'm just reading between the lines.
Old 18-07-2019, 23:07   #425
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I didn't say Smithsonian had, sorry if it read that way. I merely guessed it had based on the promo ads I've seen a lot on TV recently and print ads in magazines and newspapers.

The interesting thing with all these TV and newspaper adverts is that there were no channel numbers in any of them, just platform logos.

My logic was that if they are greatly upping their marketing they must have a reason.

I also think they might have got the True Crime channel numbers from Sony (on certain platforms, not all) by buying the channel. You can't trade numbers on Freeview, you need to own the channels to swap numbers and the Freeview status page said True Crime was temporarily away (like Keep It Country/Spotlight), as opposed to closed. And on Sky, Smithsonian were one of the few obvious big (relatively speaking budget wise) channels at that end of Sky's EPG that would want TC's number. Two birds one stone to coin the phrase.

So sorry if you read it that way, I'm just reading between the lines.
I do hope that Smithsonian get a permanent slot as they are one of the better quality Freeview channels.

Travel XP is now testing on satellite with a testcard, but it's also believed that there is another channel testing called Food XP. A search reveals that this is an Italian food channel, so maybe they are bringing this to the UK??

No confirmation yet if either will be on Freesat, but i'm as sure as I can be that they'll be FTA, so could be manually tuned in if need be.
Old 19-07-2019, 01:19   #426
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I agree about Smithsonian Channel, I watched a surprising amount of it.

I think Together TV gets its wider coverage on Freeview from 22nd so maybe the other two slots will launch then, whoever has obtained them, or at least we'll find out who had them.

This in turn might clear up some Satellite moves. The Discovery channel moves on Sky just announced included a promotion of Travel Channel up the EPG again, so maybe it will return to Freesat? (Though obviously it is still manually tuneable currently.)
Old 19-07-2019, 19:54   #427
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Richard, the TravelXP/FoodXP pair have been confirmed on Sky. Wonder if they'll come to FreeSat. The tuning details are in the RXTVlog article, so like you say there'll likely be a DIY option, assuming it's FTA.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/trav...gside-new.html

Can't say I'd heard of FoodXP until you mentioned it.
Old 19-07-2019, 20:55   #428
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Richard, the TravelXP/FoodXP pair have been confirmed on Sky. Wonder if they'll come to FreeSat. The tuning details are in the RXTVlog article, so like you say there'll likely be a DIY option, assuming it's FTA.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/trav...gside-new.html

Can't say I'd heard of FoodXP until you mentioned it.
Thanks for the link, this confirms that the food channel is actually Asian and not Italian.
Old 29-07-2019, 14:03   #429
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Retro Movies is gearing up for a launch on Freesat.
Old 05-08-2019, 15:42   #430
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Added just now on channel 307.
Old 05-08-2019, 20:19   #431
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks Richard
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 20:49   #432
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20190805...#axzz5vko7cdvi
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 17:33   #433
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

If anyone here has a 4K/UHD TV, you should be able to test it out with the UHD test channel.

To access it, press 998 on your remote control (998 doesn't exist on the EPG).
Old 06-08-2019, 21:48   #434
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’ll give that a try when I get home, but AFAIK you would need a Freesat box capable of delivering 4K via its HDMI output in order to actually see the channel in 4K. I don’t know whether there are any Freesat branded boxes on the market that boast 4K capability. I know my Humax doesn’t (1080i is the limit).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 16:33   #435
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I think that Humax do a 4K box and some Freesat integrated TV's are 4K too.

It will be interesting to find out what is displayed on a non 4K set. I imagine the test channel will be shown, but only in HD.