Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Router Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Router Problem

Old 02-11-2007, 22:46   #16
DombeyBlue
Inactive

DombeyBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wireless Router Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I assume you are now trying to connect using an ethernet connection via the router, with the USB completely disconnected.

Please confirm that the ethernet (local area connection) on the computer is enabled (active).

May I suggest you ensure a connection is possible using your computer's ethernet card without the router. This will confirm that the computer is set up OK for a wired connection. We first need to get a wired connection established before any computer can be setup wireless as a wired connection to the router is needed to configure wireless. Power everything modem, router, computers off. Unplug all USB and ethernet leads from the modem and PC. Connect a single ethernet lead direct between the modem and the computer. Power modem let settle, power PC. You should now be able to view the internet.

If you cannot still get access we need to know exactly what modem you have, and what lights are lit on it when you have it powered up and connected as in the paragraph above.

Hi Rob

Do you want me to to run a lead from the modem into the network port on my PC?

If you did mean that, then I still can't get on to the internet.

The modem hasn't got a make written on it. It was free from NTL. On my connection it says modem 351000 if that helps.

Sorry if I am not being very helpful.
DombeyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2007, 23:51   #17
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

OK, until such time as you can browse to the internet using an ethernet lead only direct between the PC and modem, forget trying to use the router. Something else (maybe additional) to the router is wrong.

We must get the network port on your computer running first. In Windows Control Panel, (classic view) > system > pop up window > hardware > device manager, please confirm that there are no red crosses or yellow exclamation marks against any item. If there are you need to fix that by loading the drivers for the missing bit's of hardware.

From Control panel > network connections, is the status of your ethernet card showing "enabled" (you can change it by right clicking). Assuming yes, then right click the connection, select properties. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked. Select that and click properties. Make sure both options of obtain an IP address automatically and DNS automatically are selected. Click OK to shut all down.

In Internet Explorer menus select Tools > options > connections. Make sure never dial a connection is ticked. Lan Settings should have nothing selected.

Now power off the modem and computer. Pull your USB connection from computer and modem. Connect only an ethernet lead between the modem and network port of the computer. Power on modem let settle, power computer. If you can't get a connection now, try an alternate ethernet lead. If that won't work then I have to start suspecting something odd with your modem, and that might need you to be phoning the expensive Virgin Media support line.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 23:57   #18
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

dombey, leave the modem off for 5 minutes, connect the pc to the modem and then boot up the modem.

normally this should give you in worse case scenario a 192.168.100.* IP address on the router page, if you dont get that but say a 169.254.*.* address I would check the lan connection on the pc.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 00:14   #19
DombeyBlue
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
OK, until such time as you can browse to the internet using an ethernet lead only direct between the PC and modem, forget trying to use the router. Something else (maybe additional) to the router is wrong.

We must get the network port on your computer running first. In Windows Control Panel, (classic view) > system > pop up window > hardware > device manager, please confirm that there are no red crosses or yellow exclamation marks against any item. If there are you need to fix that by loading the drivers for the missing bit's of hardware.

From Control panel > network connections, is the status of your ethernet card showing "enabled" (you can change it by right clicking). Assuming yes, then right click the connection, select properties. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked. Select that and click properties. Make sure both options of obtain an IP address automatically and DNS automatically are selected. Click OK to shut all down.

In Internet Explorer menus select Tools > options > connections. Make sure never dial a connection is ticked. Lan Settings should have nothing selected.

Now power off the modem and computer. Pull your USB connection from computer and modem. Connect only an ethernet lead between the modem and network port of the computer. Power on modem let settle, power computer. If you can't get a connection now, try an alternate ethernet lead. If that won't work then I have to start suspecting something odd with your modem, and that might need you to be phoning the expensive Virgin Media support line.

Hi

When I go into Network connections, there are two local area connections. One is my cable modem and the second is the network card which has a red cross. There are also two computers on my tool bar with a red cross on, which says I have a cable unplugged.

I am starting to suspect it may be the modem playing up. I have no problem with a USB connection though.
Old 03-11-2007, 00:22   #20
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Dombey, if you connect just the router to the pc do you get a 192.168.*.* ip address then? if so then yes it could be that the ethernet port on the modem if faulty, if not that its the lan card on the pc that could be faulty.

both those cases would be very rare indeed in my book (I used to work for a large-ish networking company)
Old 03-11-2007, 00:33   #21
DombeyBlue
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
Dombey, if you connect just the router to the pc do you get a 192.168.*.* ip address then? if so then yes it could be that the ethernet port on the modem if faulty, if not that its the lan card on the pc that could be faulty.

both those cases would be very rare indeed in my book (I used to work for a large-ish networking company)
Hi Doc

Are you asking me to just connect the router to the network port?

And where would I get the IP address from?

Sorry, but it is getting late. :-)
Old 03-11-2007, 00:53   #22
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DombeyBlue View Post
Hi Doc

Are you asking me to just connect the router to the network port?

And where would I get the IP address from?

Sorry, but it is getting late. :-)
Yes re the wiring.

right click the double computer symbol (or go into network connections and right click) you should get an option for status - select Support tab will show you the IP.

That you have a red cross indicated by your earlier post says to me the network card has no connection whatsoever. Can you confirm you've done absolutely everything suggested in my post, especially stuff with drivers for the network card. You can even try uninstalling the network card drivers and reinstall, sometimes that does it.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:33   #23
DombeyBlue
Inactive

I have done everything you asked.

The local area connection definitely has a red cross, and like I said it is saying I have a cable unplugged. Even after I have removed the cable from the modem and the network card. ??

I will reinstall the driver and try again.

Thanks for bearing with me.

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

I have re-installed the driver for the network card and it still has a red cross on it. does it mean the network card is faulty?

Thanks for all your help.

I will hopefully catch up with you over the weekend.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37   #24
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Does everything work if you plug the cable directly from the modem to the network card in your PC? (After restarting the equipment of course)

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48   #25
DocDutch
argh

Dombey, have you got another network cable, could be a dodgy cable that you got there mate.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:57   #26
Dante
Inactive

Dante will become famous soon enoughDante will become famous soon enoughDante will become famous soon enough

Just wondering if you are using a crossover cable by mistake.

If you look at the plug with the cable towards you and the copper pins uppermost a straight cable should be: (at both ends)
1-org/wht
2-org
3-grn/wht
4-blu
5-blu/wht
6-grn
7-wht/brn
8-brn

if it's a crossover one end will have 1&2 crossed with 3&6 ie the orange wires crossed with the green wires.

Sorry if i'm explaining egg sucking etc.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 17:03   #27
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Right, based on the fact you could browse to the router's admin panel 192.168.1.1 when that was a wired connection, but you cannot get a wired connection direct between the PC and modem, and assuming you have tried two separate ethernet cables, there is nothing else to blame other than the modem. Time to call Tech Support for a replacement.
Old 04-11-2007, 16:40   #28
vivekns007
Inactive

vivekns007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DombeyBlue View Post
Hi

I am sure this has been discussed before, so I apologise in advance.

I have recently purchased a Dyamode BR-6004 W-G1 802.11 Wireless AP Router from the Virgin website, so I could share my Broadband connection
wirelessly.

My modem is linked to the computer with a USB connection.

I have followed the instructions given with the new router. I don't have any problem getting access to the configuration website (192.168.1.1).

The problem is I do not have any (normal) internet connection. (I hope that makes sense)

If I go into the Control Panel/Network connections, there are two local area connections, one for the Modem and one I guess for the router. The only way I can get a connection to the internet is by disabling the router connection.

I have tried lots of different ways of powering up the system, i.e. Router/modem/PC or modem/Router/PC but nothing works.

I powered up the Laptop, and it looks like it can see the router (it appears as default), it seems like there is a good signal, but it doesn't let me on the the internet.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague, but I am not very computer literate.

Hopefully it is just a case of me doing something wrong, rather than a major issue.

Any help is gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Hi
One thing is U have not mentioned about U R ISP, U should mention whether Ur Using ADSL or Cabel Broadband Connection..
k..
I will give u steps for both..
This step is For ADSL Connection, where internet comes from telephone service.. and i assume ur Dynamode router have modem+router
1. Remove the old modem, remove completely USB cabel..
2. Do the physical connection , connect every thing and check the adsl or tel light should be lit up.
3. Configure the router, using ur BB username and password.. and all the info by taking from ISP.

This step is For CABEL Connection, where internet comes from cable line.. and i assume ur Dynamode router is just router, not modem in built.
1. Connect the CABEL modem directly to computer with Ethernet cable..( not with USB cable,completely remove the USB Cable from the modem and as well as from computer)..
if ur abel to go online..u can proceed further to next steps..if not, call our ISP and enable the Ethernet port on the CABEL modem.. once its done..once ur able to go online..proceed to next stpes
2. Connect Cabel modem to wan port and computer to LAN port..
3. Open the configuration page by 192.168.1.1..
4. Configure according to connection type provided by isp..( for cable it will be usually DYNAMIC ) , and u have to clone the MAC add of cable modem..
4. u will be connected and u will be able to go online.. if not
5. Unplug the power cable for the router first and then modem..
6. wait for 30 seconds and put the power cable back to modem and after 30 seconds put the power to router.. router will connect and able to go online
7. If still cant Call Technical Support of dynamode..

Thank you and regards
Vivek N
vivekns007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 16:45   #29
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Please do not use text speak.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:20   #30
DombeyBlue
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Router Problem

Just a quick update.

Nothing I tried worked, so I had no choice other than to phone the Tech line.

They were very helpful, and seem to think I have a faulty Modem. (they are sending me a replacement).

Many thanks for all your help.