Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes on the High Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes on the High Street

Old 27-11-2020, 15:17   #661
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Jeez - John Lewis have gone mad!¬

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...es-in-england/

A politician couldn't have been more stupid. Well ...

How?

John Lewis stores are extremely popular at Christmas. Many of them occupy prime units within major shopping centres and are designed to attract casual footfall (often they have entrances and exits on opposite sides, sometimes to the outside of the mall, to positively encourage people to walk through and maybe impulse buy).

With restrictions on the number of people who can be inside a shop, that design is now a positive disadvantage. They don’t want the place stowed out with people just passing through or casual browsing. They need as many people in the store as possible to be those intent on making a purchase.

They are basically doing what the Apple Store has been doing since lockdown ended in the summer, encouraging pre-booked visits (for a stated purpose only in the case of Apple) and virtual queueing those who show up on the day without an appointment.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2020, 15:52   #662
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Quote:
From December 2, customers can visit johnlewis.com and pre-book a slot to visit their local shop up to 14 days in advance of their visit.

They will receive a confirmation email once they have booked and will be asked to show this on arrival at their chosen shop.

For those visiting a John Lewis shop, if there are queues outside, customers may be added to a virtual queue.

I read that to mean you will put into a waiting list/virtual queue, and when the actual queue diminishes, you will get a message telling you you can come to the shop (whilst in the waiting list/virtual queue, you wait in your car, or somewhere else besides the physical queue).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 17:16   #663
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I read that to mean you will put into a waiting list/virtual queue, and when the actual queue diminishes, you will get a message telling you you can come to the shop (whilst in the waiting list/virtual queue, you wait in your car, or somewhere else besides the physical queue).
How stupid is that? Normal people expect to be in the queue (like with supermarkets) and go in when they reach the head of the queue.
The JL lady on the phone said that people with a booked slot will "jump the queue". The bad feeling this will cause is obvious. Not the way to do the right thing for customers.

I hope all you're doing is interpret and don't agree with it.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 17:20   #664
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'd hope that they make it clear at the entrances that there is a 'turn up' queue and 'pre booked' queue.

Similar to the way you can do priority boarding airlines, which works and doesn't cause arguments.
Old 27-11-2020, 17:39   #665
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

or buy from amazon and get next day delivery
Old 27-11-2020, 20:51   #666
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
How stupid is that? Normal people expect to be in the queue (like with supermarkets) and go in when they reach the head of the queue.
The JL lady on the phone said that people with a booked slot will "jump the queue". The bad feeling this will cause is obvious. Not the way to do the right thing for customers.

You do realise that a virtual queue is basically the same thing as an appointment, don’t you?
Old 27-11-2020, 21:13   #667
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Hope all you want - I’m trying to explain what I think they are trying to do.

You have to understand the world doesn’t revolve around your interpretation of what companies/people are doing, and others are allowed to have different opinions without being berated.
Old 27-11-2020, 21:38   #668
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You do realise that a virtual queue is basically the same thing as an appointment, don’t you?
Do you get a time slot.
Old 27-11-2020, 21:43   #669
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's a ******High Street department store we're talking about!

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hope all you want - I’m trying to explain what I think they are trying to do.

You have to understand the world doesn’t revolve around your interpretation of what companies/people are doing, and others are allowed to have different opinions without being berated.

Look, it's in the realms of the****** obvious what they're trying to do. You don't need to explain it to me.

That JL should try to operate in this way is what I find so ridiculous.

Language please.

Old 27-11-2020, 21:52   #670
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
It's a ******High Street department store we're talking about!

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Look, it's in the realms of the****** obvious what they're trying to do. You don't need to explain it to me.

That JL should try to operate in this way is what I find so ridiculous.

Language please.
I know it’s Friday evening, but you may wish to put the Buckie down - you’re getting a little heated...
Old 27-11-2020, 22:17   #671
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Nice one Hugh. Top winder-upperer and then judge and executioner on your victim.

Old 27-11-2020, 22:50   #672
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Nice one Hugh. Top winder-upperer and then judge and executioner on your victim.

Try and avoid doing things worthy of judgment and execution. You’re a rational being, not an impassioned animal.

That said, for a rational being you’re having a surprisingly difficult time understanding why a shop struggling with unprecedented limited capacity, at its most busy time of year, might resort to planning a way to control who is in its premises and when.

As a rational being I’m sure you’re not going to start bleating about your human rights being infringed or other such nonsense.
Old 27-11-2020, 23:13   #673
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Rather than stores reopening and everyone rushing to shops and them being really busy. JL has taken steps to try and keep things simple and organised. Booking appointments to visit is a great move in my book.
Old 27-11-2020, 23:14   #674
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Try and avoid doing things worthy of judgment and execution. You’re a rational being, not an impassioned animal.

That said, for a rational being you’re having a surprisingly difficult time understanding why a shop struggling with unprecedented limited capacity, at its most busy time of year, might resort to planning a way to control who is in its premises and when.

As a rational being I’m sure you’re not going to start bleating about your human rights being infringed or other such nonsense.
As a rational being, I'm saying that the public understands that they'll have to queue outside JL - it happened last time the shop was open.

What the queuing people will get narked about is someone jumping the queue because they'd learned about the booking facility. It's psychologically ill judged by JL. I certainly don't want to glide past people who've been waiting for some time in the street because I've made a booking. (And it's nothing like the priority booking on an aircraft which does not have a potential excess of numbers wishing to take a particular flight).

Also, imagine this scenario. Let's say that the number of people booking a JL shopping slot reaches the shop capacity that JL have set. Then those who haven't made a booking don't stand a chance. I can entirely foresee this possibility. People able to book will hunt for the first available booking slot and if enough of them do this, then just like grocery deliveries, all the slots will be taken.

And don't compare me with an "impassioned animal". That's outrageous. My argument is entirely rational.

And your final paragraph is entirely gratuitous and not worthy of you.

Old 27-11-2020, 23:18   #675
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

You do realise that most institutions in these circumstances don’t book the virtual queue to full capacity, ensuring there are spaces for the ‘walk ins" - because this is what they do for a living...